View Full Version : HP Jornada, HP iPAQ, and Dell Thumb Keyboards Reviewed

Jason Dunn
03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://mobileviews.com/merlin/reviews/ThumbKeyboards.htm' target='_blank'>http://mobileviews.com/merlin/revie...mbKeyboards.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"It took a while for the thumb keyboard concept to win me over. But, it did and my opinion now is that any Pocket PC I use regularly must have a thumb keyboard option. However, thumb keyboards are not all alike. This review takes a look at the three I’ve been using and makes a plea to thumb keyboard designers to do a better job (and take a lesson from the defunct HP Jornada design team). The three thumb keyboards reviewed were all purchased from the Pocket PC’s manufacturer (Compaq, Dell, and HP). The Pocket PCs used for testing were a Compaq iPAQ 3850, a Dell Axim X5 Advanced, and an HP Jornada 565."<br /><br />My fellow Mobile Devices MVP Todd Ogasawara put together a great comparative review of three thumb keyboards on the market. While I haven't tried the Dell, I've tried several others, and I've come to one conclusion: the HP method (making the keyboard overlay the device) is the only solution that I find personally acceptable. Everything else is just too big and too ugly. I suppose what I really want is a Pocket PC with an integrated keyboard...it would make email and IM much more useful!

Don Tolson
03-17-2003, 08:11 PM
The thumb keyboard on my HP J568 is the only way to go for me. I just can't get the 'writing on the screen' thing to work consistently for me and I'm much faster twiddling my thumbs around the keyboard.

Now, if I could just get the O/S updated to allow for the 'menus' to be accessed (like the New selection for Tasks, etc.) from the keyboard!!!

Sven Johannsen
03-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Now, if I could just get the O/S updated to allow for the 'menus' to be accessed (like the New selection for Tasks, etc.) from the keyboard!!!

Bingo! If you could get the designers, software and hardware, to get real and realize most folks only have two hands, both of which are being used when you use a thumb keyboard, maybe we could quit holding the stylus between our teeth, ready to use it for the all to often action you can't do with the keyboard.

P.S. The Smartphone OS works. It is not even a touch screen, so everything must be accesible via keys.

jet8810
03-17-2003, 08:47 PM
I have used the Targus thumb keyboard on my TOshiba e740, and while the experience was pleasant, it is simply too big for my tastes. I would love to get the Jornada-like one for the Toshiba so not much bulk is added, especially length-wise. Anyhow, I did review the Targus thumb keyboard at my site, if you want to read it...

http://www.pdajunkie.net/thumbkeyboard.htm

lurch
03-17-2003, 08:52 PM
I could probably find this out somewhere on the web, but I'm lazy.. 8)

How much size does the Jornada keyboard add to a Jornada 567? It sounds like a really beneficial thing, but I don't know if I want a bulkier object in my pocket...

robclif4d
03-17-2003, 09:03 PM
I use the HP full keyboard when I can (meetings, anywhere I'm away from my laptop).

David Johnston
03-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Got the Jornada keyboard earlier last month... it's great and nice, only problem (which I didn't think would be an issue at the time) is the size of my fingers. I'm a 6'4" bloke, and my index finger-tip covers six buttons on the thumb keyboard. Not ideal, so I'm hoping as I get more used to it, I'll get better. Usually just prod the keys with the nails of my thumbs...

Not a bad buy though - the more sensibly shaped members of my household don't have any problem using it at all.

Jason Dunn
03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
How much size does the Jornada keyboard add to a Jornada 567? It sounds like a really beneficial thing, but I don't know if I want a bulkier object in my pocket...

Go to the URL of the article I linked to and check out the photo there - a picture is worth a 1000 words in this case. :wink:

Janak Parekh
03-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Why, oh why did HP lose the Jornada line? I'd love to have seen a (officially released) successor to the Jornada 56x that worked with that keyboard. :cry:

--janak

trog
03-17-2003, 09:42 PM
I have been using the Jornada Thumb Keyboard for several months and it works exremely well. I take notes all the time on it and I haven't had a problem yet. It works really well with the expansion pack/Sierra Wireless card for email and browsing. Why did the HP/Compaq merger ruin such great product line???

timbur
03-17-2003, 09:47 PM

You mean something like: http://www.stellarmetrics.com/Software/HotKey/hotkey.htm ?

Got to be worth USD 5

Tim

rubberdemon
03-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey Jason: do you have a thumboard for your XDA? I'm thinking of getting one but reviews are few and far between. If so, what do you think of it?

hhong
03-17-2003, 09:54 PM
I came across this a few days ago. (http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3715&pf%5Fid=MP965304&listing=1) It looks like the HP pocket keyboard solution made for the Ipaq. It even includes a screen cover. So good news for Ipaq owners, one of the strengths of the Jornada is being passed on.

scrinch
03-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I voted yes on the survey even though the thumboard I use is on my Treo (the Treo uses an older, feebler version of the PPC OS called Palm :D ) . I never used a PDA without a keyboard, but I can't imagine writing and responding to e-mails without it. I've tried using on-screen graffiti and Jot as well as the on-screen keyboards on the Treo, and it is much more cumbersome than using the hard keyboard. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Hitachi PPC-phone with the built-in keyboard and the real OS.

dlangton
03-17-2003, 10:53 PM
I came across this a few days ago. It looks like the HP pocket keyboard solution made for the Ipaq. It even includes a screen cover. So good news for Ipaq owners, one of the strengths of the Jornada is being passed on.

If HP would make an IPAQ which could use my Jornada accessories (Targus keyboard, pocket keyboard, batteries) I'd consider replacing my Jornada 567. Otherwise, the expense would simply be too great.

That keyboard looks exactly like the Jornada thumb keyboard. Looks like the old Jornada design team is back in action.

dlangton
03-17-2003, 10:58 PM
You mean something like: http://www.stellarmetrics.com/Software/HotKey/hotkey.htm ?

Got to be worth USD 5

Thanks for the link :D

Downloading right now.

Will T Smith
03-17-2003, 11:34 PM
I came across this a few days ago. (http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3715&pf%5Fid=MP965304&listing=1) It looks like the HP pocket keyboard solution made for the Ipaq. It even includes a screen cover. So good news for Ipaq owners, one of the strengths of the Jornada is being passed on.

This design is close, but still no cigar. The keyboard VISIBLY adds to the length of the unit. The Jornada keyboard only makes the unit a tiny bit longer and a bit thicker.

scrinch
03-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Never mind.

Phoenix
03-18-2003, 09:39 AM
I don't know who designed that older HP keyboard, but those involved were brilliant, IMO.

The best solution right now, is the Sharp Zaurus (too bad it's not a PPC!). It's ability to slide open to reveal its integrated keyboard is absolutely fantastic.

I don't know if the buttons on the Sharp are backlit, but the bottom line is that this is absolutely necessary. If you can't see it in the dark, it's worthless. On a laptop or desktop (although it would be nice) this is not as critical because you're touchtyping, but no one touchtypes on a thumb keyboard, hence, the need for backlighting.

I have always wanted an integrated keyboard. I really hope that HP figures this one out. These add on keyboards that everyone makes are nothing more than ridiculous, unelegant, klunky, ugly afterthoughts that don't seem to involve much thought in the first place. I want to see the same type of keyboard integration that Sharp has on their Zaurus integrated into the Ipaq and other handhelds as well.

I'm not thrilled with a slide-down, fold-out, touchtype keyboard that HP (or some other manufacturer I read about) has considered in a recent prototype design that both, demands the user to use a PPC in landscape mode (if you want to utilize the keyboard), and demands that you set it down on a flat surface in order to type. This is worthless to me. I'm going to use a thumb keyboard much more, and I'm going to be typing in portrait mode 90% of the time - not in landscape mode. Everyone uses their PPC's in portrait mode most of the time, not landscape mode, so the keyboard should be oriented the same way. Not to mention, having to find a flat surface or utilize one's lap just to quickly type something out is just one more thing that a user would have to worry about with a slide-down, fold-out, landscape type keyboard. Although integrated, it would be bulky, clumsy, and add a large footprint to boot. Not exactly a practical solution for a handheld.

It's one thing to use an aftermarket touchtype keyboard that a person's handheld can plug into, like we see with the cool fold-up, Stowaway keyboards, for example. But that's different because those are not integrated. In terms of integration, and something that would appeal to the masses, for a handheld, thumb type is the only way to go.

I suspect that some handheld manufacturers are probably considering integrating that prototype technology (that some of us have seen and read about) that projects a red virtual keyboard onto a flat surface. This is cool, but the only problem with this is that, once again, it requires a flat surface to use and a larger footprint. That's not practical. Could you imagine if this is the only way that you could send SMS messages on a cell phone? How impractical and inconvenient would that be? The handheld would be no exception. A hardware keyboard is the only way to go. People need a way to type while holding the handheld in their hands.

I say, to all PPC manufacturers who are (or should be) considering an integrated keyboard: make it integrated (without covering rocker-pads or other essential buttons, and without causing it to permanently add three or four inches of length to the handheld - a temporary increase in length is different, like what you find on the Sharp Zaurus when you slide it open to use the keyboard, which then retains its original dimensions once it's slid closed), make it a thumb type keyboard in a portrait format (which is the only practical and truly effective solution for a handheld), make it backlit (which is necessary for obvious usability purposes), and take some serious lessons from HP's keyboard that they made for the Jornada (in regards to form factor, layout, usability, and things of that nature).

I think most people who don't use a keyboard, don't use it simply because there are no elegant solutions out there right now. If everyone had an elegantly and practically integrated keyboard, I would bet just about anything that most everyone would use it.

My $.02+.

Jimmy Dodd
03-18-2003, 04:07 PM
The best solution right now, is the Sharp Zaurus (too bad it's not a PPC!). It's ability to slide open to reveal its integrated keyboard is absolutely fantastic.

I love the form factor of the Zaurus, too. The sliding keyboard would work great for me. My only concern with such integrated features is how reliable are they? Will those tiny buttons still work a year from purchase after repeated use. If an attachable thumb board dies I can replace it for ~$40. If it's integrated then it's a bit more expensive if it's out of warranty.

I think most people who don't use a keyboard, don't use it simply because there are no elegant solutions out there right now. If everyone had an elegantly and practically integrated keyboard, I would bet just about anything that most everyone would use it.

That's me exactly. I would love to find a nice thumb keyboard for my e740. The only one I have seen is rather bulky and as such I would wind upo never carrying it. The only keyboard I've seen that even remotely fits the bill is the now defunct Jornada snap-on.

Pony99CA
03-20-2003, 06:28 AM
I voted no, because I don't use my iPAQ Micro Keyboard much. Until the 2.x drivers, it didn't even work very well with my 3870.

I agree with what most people have said about design, but I'll give my wish list.

FIVE ROWS! I want a row with numbers and punctuation in the standard locations.
A way to access all characters on a regular keyboard. There are several characters that I can't type on my Micro Keyboard.
Backlit keys for operation in the dark.
Able to work with or without expansion sleeves (for my iPAQ).
A cool design. :-)

Steve