View Full Version : RIM And Symbian To Parner On Cell Phone E-mail

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1041-992763.html?tag=fd_nbs_ptech' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1041-99276...ag=fd_nbs_ptech</a><br /><br /></div>"The companies plan to announce Monday at the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) trade show a partnership to provide RIM's BlackBerry e-mail service on handsets using the Symbian operating system. The deal means that cellular service subscribers will be able to wirelessly send and receive e-mail and corporate data on Symbian phones."<br /><br />Here's one thing I want on Pocket PCs and Smartphones: the ability to have always-on email. We're starting to get close, but we're not quite there yet. Let's see if Microsoft has any large announcements at CTIA...

dlipetz
03-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Let's see if Microsoft has any large announcements at CTIA...

Let's see indeed.

I'm hoping that a positive announcement is made regarding Smartphone 2002 launch in the USA. Preferably, a clamshell CDMA design (Samsung SCH-i600?) offered by Sprint PCS or Verizon Wireless.

I just hope that whatever Smartphones are ultimately launched in the US, there is at least one clamshell without an integrated camera.

CTIA starts on Monday.

rubberdemon
03-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Didn't Microsoft actually announce a service that will offer always-on email and IM alerts?

From the press release on February 17:

Pocket MSN will for the first time deliver to subscribers an always-on experience that enables them to remain available to other online users and always up to date with e-mail, instant messaging (IM) and other online services without maintaining a continuous network connection to their mobile device. Subscribers also will have one-click access to MSN HotmailŪ and MSN Messenger -- one of the most used e-mail and IM services in the world, with 110 million and 75 million active users, respectively. In addition, Pocket MSN will allow subscribers to wirelessly browse online and receive other MSN services, including MSN Alerts, which include news, sports and weather updates.

MSN plans to release Pocket MSN through mobile operators, with T-Mobile planning to offer the service in Europe before the end of the year. In addition to always-on services, the following Pocket MSN features and attractions will allow mobile operators to lure subscribers:

Integrated applications.
A single click on an icon on the device's Today screen provides access to all Pocket MSN services, including Hotmail and MSN Alerts, which are integrated into the Pocket PC and Smartphone Inbox. Also, messages can be sent via Hotmail when MSN Messenger contacts aren't available to receive instant messages.

Offline services.
Subscribers can access, compose and answer Hotmail messages offline, maximizing their time when mobile connections aren't available.

Personalized options.
Subscribers can filter incoming Hotmail messages based on the sender, subject and size of the message. They can select which MSN Messenger contacts they want to be notified of their online availability.

The release is http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/feb03/02-17PocketMSNPR.asp

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Didn't Microsoft actually announce a service that will offer always-on email and IM alerts?
Ah, good call; I forgot about that. However, this is not corporate-packaged like the RIM solutions are. I know there are third-party solutions for Pocket PC, but they generally rely on workarounds at the moment.

--janak

Bandito
03-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Looks like MS heard you, Janak!

"Pocket PC And Smartphone Devices From HTC To Include BlackBerry Connectivity"

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/456.html

Janak Parekh
03-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Yup.. it was because I asked them yesterday. :lol:

--janak

Bosco
03-18-2003, 02:12 AM
Interesting. I would like something like this for Palm OS, but without having to pay $20/month for Palm.Net service with the i705 or draining my battery with Wifi. Oh well. Cool stuff, though.

BTW - As an update of the local troll, I'm using the NX's Wifi to post this now. Awesome stuff! 8)