View Full Version : Backup restore deletes new ROM?

delfuhd
03-16-2003, 06:04 AM
I was reading the previous topic about the ROM upgrade. I recently installed ROM 1.20 on my h3850. Before I installed the ROM, I did a full backup onto my SD card with the Backup utility. After I did the ROM upgrade, I did a full restore from the SD card. I've been wondering, does the full restore basically copy over the new ROM with old ROM images from the backup I had? For the new ROM to work would I just have to resintall all of the programs, and such? I've just been wondering this and any help/comments are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Yes, unfortunately, you usually want to avoid restoring after a ROM update. A restore doesn't overwrite everything, but it does overwrite some of the new ROM configs copied into RAM. If you do a hard reset, you should be able to start over without reflashing the ROM, but you will have to reinstall your apps. It's worth it, though, IMO.

--janak

Pony99CA
03-16-2003, 12:31 PM
A restore will not overwrite anything in your ROM. However, as Janek mentioned, it may overwrite anything in RAM that the new ROM set up.

Even if it didn't, your applications still might not work. I know if the iPAQ backup utility on the 3800 series backs up the registry, but, if it doesn't, any registry settings the applications needed would be gone; if it does, it would wipe out any registry settings the ROM made.

Steve