View Full Version : need help with linksys

mscdex
03-16-2003, 02:41 AM
I bought a linksys wifi usb and pcmcia card today. What drivers am I supposed to use for the linksys wifi pc card? It doesn't mention a version on the outside of the box, and I am confused as to which driver I should use. I am using it with an iPaq 3635 with ppc2k2.

As for the USB one, I install the drivers first like it says, and I also tried installing the drivers after I plugged in the usb adapter, but windows just sits there like I didn't plug it in. It doesn't even detect it. What is the problem?

I hope I didn't get jipped or anything. :(

mscdex
03-16-2003, 04:35 PM
bump

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 05:32 PM
I bought a linksys wifi usb and pcmcia card today. What drivers am I supposed to use for the linksys wifi pc card? It doesn't mention a version on the outside of the box, and I am confused as to which driver I should use. I am using it with an iPaq 3635 with ppc2k2.
I don't understand. You're trying to use the USB with your desktop, and the PC card with an iPaq (presumably with a PC sleeve)? If so, you need Pocket PC/WinCE drivers. It's possible that the Linksys PC card doesn't have any -- in general, PC cards are much less supported on PDAs than CF cards. You should also look on Linksys's site.

As for the USB one, I install the drivers first like it says, and I also tried installing the drivers after I plugged in the usb adapter, but windows just sits there like I didn't plug it in. It doesn't even detect it. What is the problem?
This I can't easily answer. Do you see anything in Device Manager appear when you plug in the device?

--janak

mscdex
03-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, I called tech support and after being on hold for 25 minutes or so, they told me to try things I already tried :roll:. So they couldn't help me, and they said it's probably a defective unit (the USB adapter).

This looks like the first and last time i'll ever buy linksys products. And to think this is the first time i've ventured into the "wifi world." What a disappointment. :(

js415
03-16-2003, 06:37 PM
I am currently running a Linksys hub and 2 Linksys access points in my house. I am not having any problem with any of them. I am using a Linksys PC card in my laptop, and a Symbol CF card in my Axim. If you could post any specifics, I would be happy to tell what settings, etc. I am using. All of my Linksys products were set up via USB to get them going.

Let me know if I can help.

Jerry

mscdex
03-16-2003, 11:02 PM
I decided to return both items, since I could not get the USB adapter to be recognized at all in windows (2k pro SP3). And the PC Card I couldn't find any compatible drivers for my ipaq. What is your take on the Compaq wifi PC Card that has drivers for the ipaq, and the Compaq wifi USB adapter? They are much cheaper than the Linksys wifi cards/adapters i bought.

bdeli
03-16-2003, 11:21 PM
What Linksys card did you purchase? Linksys have Windows CE drivers for the WPC11 cards http://www.linksys.com/download/driver.asp?dlid=66&osid=7

mscdex
03-17-2003, 02:12 AM
What Linksys card did you purchase? Linksys have Windows CE drivers for the WPC11 cards http://www.linksys.com/download/driver.asp?dlid=66&osid=7

I believe those are for the newer Linksys Wireless PC Cards, as noted on Cewindows.net. I returned them earlier today, so I no longer have them. I'm thinking about the compaq cards though, since they will work for sure with ipaqs.