View Full Version : xp connecting problem

whiskers
03-15-2003, 11:27 PM
just got new computer running xp. old pocketpc running 2002. connects fine with old computer running windows 2000 pro. will not show pocketpc connected to xp computer with usb , serial , or ir. just doesn't do anything. downloaded new 3.6 activesync didn't load cd from compaq dont think i need to. help

Jason Dunn
03-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Dumb question, but have you tried soft resetting the Pocket PC? With the USB ports on the machine, do you have other USB devices connected so that you know for 100% certain the the USB ports are functioning?

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2003, 01:57 AM
USB, Serial, and IR don't work??? Very strange! I would start by making sure you have no errors on any of those, but specifically USB (device manager)...

Then, use another USB device to make sure your USB port is working (like a card reader). Once that is verified, try to get ActiveSync working (make sure that ActiveSync is set to "Allow USB connection with this desktop computer" in connection settings)...

Steve

whiskers
03-16-2003, 03:52 AM
yes I know my usb is working, i use an external hard drive on it, it works fine.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
03-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Usually have to install activesync from the pocket pc's cd, then upgrade to 3.6.
Pain!

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Usually have to install activesync from the pocket pc's cd, then upgrade to 3.6.
Pain!
No, this is only true for Dell devices. iPaqs can use ActiveSync downloaded straight from pocketpc.com, so that's not the problem.

whiskers, have you recently tried syncing to another computer?

--janak

whiskers
03-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Yes, I can sync to my old computer running windows 2000 with no problem except the normal, ie usb,etc. but the ir works fine on the old computer.

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2003, 07:39 AM
So you can't sync to your 2000 machine using USB or serial???

Steve

bmhome1
03-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Suggest uninstalling AS3.6, install 3.5 from CD (be sure to not plug in cradle until installer prompts you to). Had same problem with 3.6, doing that worked for me. Maybe 3.6 download was corrupted?

whiskers
03-16-2003, 03:00 PM
no I cant connect using my usb port or serial port, over time both have quit like thousands of others on this forum has also had this problem. The ir has and is still working though on m y old machine, but not my new one. It may be that the IR port isn[t turned on , it isn't showing on the device manager and I cant get it to, so probably will have to call Dell to find out how to turn it on.

whiskers
03-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Suggest uninstalling AS3.6, install 3.5 from CD (be sure to not plug in cradle until installer prompts you to). Had same problem with 3.6, doing that worked for me. Maybe 3.6 download was corrupted?

Tried that the problem is it doesn't prompt me to install the cradle or anything. Then when I plug the cradles in it doesn't show at all .

whiskers
03-16-2003, 03:26 PM
no my last post wasnt correct, it does show the usb device not recognized on the task bar.

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2003, 04:14 PM
no my last post wasnt correct, it does show the usb device not recognized on the task bar.

So if you go into Device Manager, you have an error for the USB device??? If yes, try this: remove the device(in device manager), unplug the cradle, reboot, connect the cradle again...

Steve

whiskers
03-16-2003, 04:25 PM
So if you go into Device Manager, you have an error for the USB device??? If yes, try this: remove the device(in device manager), unplug the cradle, reboot, connect the cradle again...

[size=12][/sizeNo, on the device manager it doesnt have an error/? yellow or anything. It looks normal but it just doesn't connect. I have tried an extra usb cable also besides the cradle, a serial cradle and the ir port. no errors but just doesn't connect. I don't have to load the whole cd from the upgrade do I on my new computer? just the activesync, right?

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Wait, let me try to understand...

The cradle is plugged in. When you put the Ipaq into the cradle, nothing happens??

In Activesync (on the desktop), make sure:

1) In connection settings, there is a check mark for "Allow USB connection with this desktop"...

2) Try the "Get connected" wizard...

Steve

whiskers
03-16-2003, 05:21 PM
when I click on actrive sync on the desktop the box comes up that says active sync. the box says no partnerships then below it says not connected when I go to file it says get connected and connection settings. There is no box that says "Allow USB connection with this desktop its not even in the shaded section.

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2003, 08:22 PM
File, connection settings, No "allow USB...."???

Double check, please...

Steve

whiskers
03-16-2003, 08:52 PM
I know that it is hard to believe but when I click on EITHER of the bold items. 1. connection settings
2. Get connected

all that happens is another box comes up that says get connected so you click on that and it searches for the connection, but there isn't anywhere on either box that says usb etc.

I have been using the pocketpc for over 2 years and have gone thru 2 computer changes and have never experienced this.
Thanks for your help by the way, I would have quit long ago thinking this guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

whiskers
03-16-2003, 08:57 PM
by the way, I just booted up my old computer and checked that connection setting and the page came up that you were talking about. I have uninstalled active sync twice already but am going to do it again and install it again from the cd and then upgrade to 3.6 and see if it will work again. I believe it has something to do with the new windows xp maybe it has a setting on it that I havent set right.

whiskers
03-17-2003, 12:25 AM
evidently xp has a lot of problems with activesync according to the dell web page. there are a LOT of folks over there who are having the same problem as me. I finally downloaded a new bios for the IR and got it to work with the active sync, but still cant use usb or serial. Maybe with dell selling so many pocketpc's ms will have to upgrade the software so we can use it. thanks for all you help.

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2003, 12:54 AM
Well, good luck!!! Let us know how you make out!!!

Steve