View Full Version : Looking for a Refurbished Dell?

Jason Dunn
03-14-2003, 10:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?target=InventoryPage&action=filter&lob=PDA&unique=1047669431955' target='_blank'>http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatche...e=1047669431955</a><br /><br /></div>Looking to save a few bucks on a Dell Handheld? Check out this site - you'll need to use the "search" function to see what they have in stock. If the $50 rebate wasn't being offered, these would be a great deal, but as it is, they're not that much cheaper. The advantage is that you'll get it for that price - you don't have to wait for a rebate cheque to come in.

mscdex
03-15-2003, 01:12 AM
Actually you can get a better deal on that link you posted than with the $50 rebate, at least for the Axim X5 Basic. With the $50 rebate it's only $199, whereas if you go to the Dell Outlet site you mentioned, it's only $189. Only $10 less I know, but hey that's $10 you could have put towards some accessories for your Axim! :D

Roosterman
03-15-2003, 01:50 AM
Kind of interesting. I wonder why the difference in price for the same type of unit, $189 -$224 for the basic. Is this because of the shape the housing? I am glad I have my unit and it was new when I got it :) .

Jason Dunn
03-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Actually you can get a better deal on that link you posted than with the $50 rebate, at least for the Axim X5 Basic. With the $50 rebate it's only $199, whereas if you go to the Dell Outlet site you mentioned, it's only $189. Only $10 less I know, but hey that's $10 you could have put towards some accessories for your Axim! :D

But for $10, wouldn't you rather have a brand new unit, all nice and shiny? :D

yunez
03-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Kind of interesting. I wonder why the difference in price for the same type of unit, $189 -$224 for the basic. Is this because of the shape the housing? I am glad I have my unit and it was new when I got it :) .
the other comes with a leather carry case

mscdex
03-15-2003, 02:27 AM

I'm pretty sure I can put up with not having a "nice and shiny" unit. Besides, the shininess isn't worth $10, it's all about functionality right? :wink:

ctmagnus
03-15-2003, 05:03 AM

I'm pretty sure I can put up with not having a "nice and shiny" unit. Besides, the shininess isn't worth $10, it's all about functionality right? :wink:

Some people like shiny. If it wasn't for shiny, there would be no expensive cars that go just as fast as less-expensive models, no big houses, no supermodels...

mscdex
03-15-2003, 05:39 AM
If it wasn't for shiny, there would be no expensive cars that go just as fast as less-expensive models, no big houses, no supermodels...

Since when did supermodels become considered "shiny"? :lol:

powder2000
03-15-2003, 05:54 AM
If it's a good company like Dell, I would bet the units are as good as new. I bought a refurbished ipaq a while back and it looked and worked brand new. If I needed a new ppc I would buy one of these before a brand new one only because HATE rebates. :x

ctmagnus
03-15-2003, 06:01 AM
If it's a good company like Dell, I would bet the units are as good as new. I bought a refurbished ipaq a while back and it looked and worked brand new.

I've been using refurbished iPaqs for ~18 months. Ever since Compaq initiated their "replace warranty units with refurbs" program.

Can you get a full/extended warranty on a refurb unit, though? I don't usually consider acquiring refurbs except in the above case.

mscdex
03-15-2003, 03:37 PM
If it's a good company like Dell, I would bet the units are as good as new. I bought a refurbished ipaq a while back and it looked and worked brand new.

I've been using refurbished iPaqs for ~18 months. Ever since Compaq initiated their "replace warranty units with refurbs" program.

Can you get a full/extended warranty on a refurb unit, though? I don't usually consider acquiring refurbs except in the above case.

According to their policy on refurbished items....
"Because our systems are refurbished and then retested to meet Dell's high quality standards, we offer the same limited warranties as the new systems."

Not bad :)