View Full Version : Dreaming a bit

phanprod
03-14-2003, 08:21 PM
I originally posted this at pdacorps.com - but I figure I'll spread the rambling a bit. Perhaps I'll get someone with the ability into a thinking mode...

Ok, I figured I'd rant a bit about some things I wish I could find for my iPAQ, but don't seem to exist...

Ok, I should preface this by saying that I'm NOT a programmer by any stretch of the term, so I can't do these things myself (without a whole bunch of learning involved...). So that being said, on with the rant...

For instance, IR features. I know the PDA can transfer data and control my tv... but there must be more.

I work in a theatre. Not a movie theater, but a live production venue just outside of NYC. Now, we have an Infra-red listening system installed. I would love to find a way to analize the signal coming out of those things - frequency response, signal quality & strength... that sort of thing. It would be extremely benificial to properly aim the transmitters and adjust the equalization, etc. It'd also be fun to play with whenever your at a boring movie show or something like that.

Also, an IR strength meter in general would be nice. Something to test the level of IR present for assistance in covert lighting. It's how we see the stage when the lights go out. I could have used that when I worked in the security industry as well - to check the night vision camera setups.

Off on a different direction, how about an automobile computer analizer? I haven't seen anything for this purpose... but with the proper cable, you could theoretically plug your PDA into your car and get diagnostic information out of it. While driving, you could monitor speed, distance travelled, etc. If priced right, this could be of great help to the common Saturday mechanic. Businesses could utilize it as a way to monitor fleet vehicles. It's an idea that's got potential - and a lot more convinient than the laptop setup I use now.

Wow, this post is a lot longer than I thought it would be. I didn't mean to write an article - just a short rant. I'll stop myself before I drone on too far - perhaps I'll add more ideas later. Silly as these thoughts may be, I just figured I'd throw them out there. Maybe someone can take off on something here - just remember the little people, ok? I'd be happy to beta-test it... ;)

eustts
03-14-2003, 09:58 PM
I too really want a OBDI/ ODBII compliant connection to my automobile. I would specifically like that support VAG 155x for VW and Audi. :D

phanprod
03-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah... it's really nice when one day, out of the blue, your 'check engine' light starts to glow with its ominous luminance. From out of your pocket you pull your ppc, plug it into that funky little service jack and BAM find out exactly what your car is trying to tell you. With today's cars, that could be something as simple as a loose gas cap (low tank pressure = blinky flashy light :wink: ).

However, since your local mechanic probably isn't raking in the bucks like he wishes he would be, he tells you that several sensors need to be replaced.

If you knew the truth, you'd be a better, more educated customer... and save yourself a great deal of better spent cash.

Don't get me wrong - mechanics are not all evil. I just speak from experience with one guy (who ended up getting himself into trouble).

PetiteFlower
03-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Heh my mechanic is great, completely trustworthy, but he has to charge $50 just to plug my car IN to the check engine computer! Just because the damn thing cost him so much. However he also told me that it never goes on for anything dangerous(to me) or crucial, just emissions type stuff mostly, so I can ignore it for a while :)

Bill Harrison
03-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Thats not really the truth.... I would double check your "trustworthy" mechanic, because the light can signal very important parts that can cause signifigant damage to your engine as well as leave you stranded with no warning!

Heh my mechanic is great, completely trustworthy, but he has to charge $50 just to plug my car IN to the check engine computer! Just because the damn thing cost him so much. However he also told me that it never goes on for anything dangerous(to me) or crucial, just emissions type stuff mostly, so I can ignore it for a while :)

phanprod
03-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that 'check engine' light could be a killer, although the amount of severity rises proportionate to the year of the vehicle. What I mean is that later year vehicle computers monitor more features --- and many are not just related to the emissions systems. Timing, fuel / air mixture, in some cases even transmission shift points and engine rpm. Albeit in my '88 chevy, the computer doesn't actually control as much as monitor - but since '95, there has been alot more emphasis on actual control all in an effort to maximize efficiency and overall performance.

In other words, the light could be bad or it could be REAL BAD. Hence why it would be great to be able to plug in a PDA to get a simple english explanation of what's wrong.

I know that my truck (the '88 ) gives you a code by flashing the check engine light. Reference the code and you've got a generalized idea of what's going on. However, in my '95 blazer, there are no more flashing codes - it's either on or off... and you need a computer to read why. Even if it is only a loose gas cap.