View Full Version : Disabling hardware buttons

Programmer
03-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Is there any program out there already that disables the hardware buttons on a PocketPC.

The case I have keeps hitting the buttons and turning on my PocketPC. I want to be able to prevent this.

Robert

targetdrone
03-14-2003, 01:47 AM
You don't need a program for that. The option is in your Power Settings.

Start>Settings>System>Power>Control - then uncheck the two boxes on the bottom. The buttons will still activate the various programs when the unit is on, but will not turn it on when it is off. You will need to press the power button to bring it out of suspend mode.

pepemosca
03-14-2003, 02:25 AM

Start>Settings>System>Power>Control - then uncheck the two boxes on the bottom. The buttons will still activate the various programs when the unit is on, but will not turn it on when it is off. You will need to press the power button to bring it out of suspend mode.

In wich PDA? I have an iPAQ h5450, and that check boxs doesn't do what you say... :?

Programmer
03-14-2003, 02:44 AM

In wich PDA? I have an iPAQ h5450, and that check boxs doesn't do what you say... :?

Not on my iPaq 1910 either. :(

Robert

jd4science
03-14-2003, 05:24 AM
I think that might be one of the differences between pocket pc Pro(on the 1910) and premium(on most others), but I'm not sure...

pepemosca
03-14-2003, 05:53 AM
I think that might be one of the differences between pocket pc Pro(on the 1910) and premium(on most others), but I'm not sure...

Hey, I have the Premium, and i don't have that option (i have an h5400)

jd4science
03-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Wow, I really don't know then. Sorry. :oops:

jd4science
03-14-2003, 06:14 AM
Here is a screan shot of the buttons I got off my Axim...

http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//buttons.JPG

pepemosca
03-14-2003, 06:19 AM

Ohhh.. now i understand... :)

But i don't have that options on my iPAQ :(

jd4science
03-14-2003, 06:25 AM

Ohhh.. now i understand... :)

But i don't have that options on my iPAQ :(
Darn, I feel sorry for you. I think the Jornada 548 had something that would turn it on if the screan was tapped. I say that because it might have to do with the OEM?

Pony99CA
03-14-2003, 07:56 AM

Have you checked your other settings applets? Maybe it's been moved. I'd check the Buttons applet, for example.

UPDATE: I just checked my iPAQ 3870, and it doesn't allow preventing the hardware buttons from turning the device on, either. I would have sworn that it did. :?

Steve

whatsnext?
03-14-2003, 01:53 PM
hp put that option on most(if not all)of it's jornada series-mine does and i have a 568! :microwave:

targetdrone
03-14-2003, 04:11 PM
I have an Axim, and my screen looks like the screen shot. I just figured it was part of PPC2002. Oops. Sorry. It's just one more reason to make me glad I bought the Dell. 8)

Programmer
03-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Have you checked your other settings applets? Maybe it's been moved. I'd check the Buttons applet, for example.

UPDATE: I just checked my iPAQ 3870, and it doesn't allow preventing the hardware buttons from turning the device on, either. I would have sworn that it did. :?

Steve

I checked all over my settings and there is nothing. I might write a small app to do it for me if I get a chance but I still want to find out if there is something out there already.

Robert

Kaber
03-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Here's what we got on an iPAQ 3955. But its only talking about the backlight, not suspend.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/powah.jpg

There aren't options for hardware buttons to bring it out of suspend. I wish I had that feature because my ipaq turns on because of the record button sometimes when its in my backpack. It really sucks to look in my pack and see its on and only has like 1/3 charge left and the battery on the dual sleeve has already drained. :x

Hmmm... its supposed to automatically suspend if you don't touch any buttons for 180 seconds after power on.

jd4science
03-15-2003, 04:07 AM
I have an Axim, and my screen looks like the screen shot. I just figured it was part of PPC2002. Oops. Sorry. It's just one more reason to make me glad I bought the Dell. 8)
I concur. :)

nosmohtac
03-15-2003, 08:44 AM
I just recently moved up to a 3970 from an hp 568, and That was the only disappointing thing that I have found (besides no page toggle on the side) I thought for sure that the ipaq would have settings for this.

Enigma
03-28-2003, 12:33 AM
So, has anybody found any resolution on this yet? I had my iPaq in my back pocket all day yesterday, and must have been hitting the record button just right, 'cause when I finally got back to it, it was totally drained - wouldn't even turn on.

Thanks!

Tony

mr_yellow
03-28-2003, 01:18 AM
I've been looking for a similar app. I found something that comes close but still isn't a 'perfect' solution.

http://elevatedstudios.com/pocket/

checkout the power countdown app and teh keyguard app.

both basically turn off the ppc with app button presses but require a cumbersome 'extra' step to activate and deactivate the app.

nosmohtac
09-02-2003, 12:48 AM
I just recently decided to try this program again, but it doesn't seem to disable the record button on my ipaq. Does anybody know of a program that is similar to this keyguard, but disables ALL the hardware buttons?

maximus
09-02-2003, 01:41 AM
So, has anybody found any resolution on this yet? I had my iPaq in my back pocket all day yesterday, and must have been hitting the record button just right, 'cause when I finally got back to it, it was totally drained - wouldn't even turn on.

Thanks!

Tony

Buy a hard case :wink:

nosmohtac
09-02-2003, 04:02 AM
Even if the keyguard program did prevent my record button from turning the device on, it sucks to keep having to unlock the keys when you turn your device on, and remember to lock them again before you turn the device off. I can't believe that the leader in the PPC market sells their devices without a working applet for this built in! :evil:
Come on HP! Both my jornadas had this feature built in. You've had several ROM updates to correct this short coming.

Can anybody who has used a 5555 tell me if this has been corrected in the latest PPC? Even if it has, I wouldn't move up to the 5550, because of CIR.

Komputersman
09-03-2003, 06:07 AM
start/settings/buttons/(tab on bottum)Lock

Disable the App buttons when device is in standby.

Hope this helps.
Kevin