View Full Version : Palm Zire case smells!

karinatwork
03-13-2003, 09:58 PM
So I went and bought that little Palm Zire case for a couple of bucks, in order to give my h1910 a little bit of protection while I am going to look for a better case, but hey, does that plastic case ever STINK! :crazyeyes:

What the heck did they put into it? It smells like raincoat, eggs and peppermint... I just hope my poor Ipaq won't start smelling like it!!!

Now you might say, what do you care, you're not wearing it around your neck, are you? Yes, sure, but try putting that thing onto your night table without getting a whiff of it into your nostrils while you are trying to fall asleep... :wink:

jeffdiogenes
03-13-2003, 10:41 PM
That smell is only compatible with the Zire ;)

Janak Parekh
03-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Heh. I suspect it'll fade, but maybe that's the "Zire" smell... so you know whenever someone around you is carrying one. :)

--janak

Pat Logsdon
03-13-2003, 11:13 PM
So I went and bought that little Palm Zire case for a couple of bucks, in order to give my h1910 a little bit of protection while I am going to look for a better case, but hey, does that plastic case ever STINK! :crazyeyes:

What the heck did they put into it? It smells like raincoat, eggs and peppermint... I just hope my poor Ipaq won't start smelling like it!!!

My guess is that the stink is the Death of Palm, slowly creeping out into all of their product lines. When the Tunsten W smells like dead fish, we'll know that Palm is finished. :wink:

Jason Dunn
03-13-2003, 11:41 PM

I think that's the smell of "cheap" - it's very popular with Palm these days, what with 2/3rd of their device sales being the sub-$100 Zire. :lol:

Hyperluminal
03-13-2003, 11:42 PM
The case stinks? Just like the Zire!!! :D :lol:

Brad Adrian
03-14-2003, 01:06 AM
That, my friend, is the smell of a dying company.

Paragon
03-14-2003, 01:49 AM
May I suggest another distraction after you put down the 1910 other than going to sleep. :)

Dave

Kati Compton
03-14-2003, 02:12 AM
May I suggest another distraction after you put down the 1910 other than going to sleep. :)

A Dell Axim? A Toshiba e750? A Viewsonic v35? ;)

captgoodhope
03-14-2003, 02:14 AM
I bought one for my ipaq h1910 too. I thought I hit a skunk with my car. 8O

Paragon
03-14-2003, 02:19 AM

A Dell Axim? A Toshiba e750? A Viewsonic v35? ;)

I wish I could post my reply to that! :)

Dave

Hank Scorpio
03-14-2003, 02:31 AM
I bought a pair of speakers from Future shop and they kinda smell like an old mans hockey equipment bag. made my house stink for a week. I wouldn't be able to sleep near them.

bdegroodt
03-14-2003, 03:20 AM
I bought a pair of speakers from Future shop and they kinda smell like an old mans hockey equipment bag. made my house stink for a week. I wouldn't be able to sleep near them.

OK, I have to ask. I'm 32 and I play hockey. My bag smells horrid and I'm proud of it. Will it smell worse when I get old?

dh
03-14-2003, 03:23 AM
That, my friend, is the smell of a dying company.

Yes and no, Palm Solutions Group with essentially two (neither very good) products seems to have the odor of death about it.

PalmSource though through the efforts of a couple of it's OEMs seems to be getting it together.

The new Samsung Smartphone looks to be the best in that market (if they ever get around to releasing it, the ones announced last summer still are not here), the 16MB barrier is going to be broken by at least two companies and Sony are bound to come up with something bleeding edge soon.

I had just about decided to get an Axim, then I thought maybe an NX60 now I don't know what the heck to do.

Anyway, for now at least, Palm OS (I refuse to write POS) seems to have the technical momentum again. Sorry M$.

"course now I'm convincing myself that Palm OS is the way to go, M$ will launch PPC2003 and change everything again.

Brad Adrian
03-14-2003, 03:28 AM
Anyway, for now at least, Palm OS (I refuse to write POS) seems to have the technical momentum again...
Wow. I couldn't disagree with you more. Let's not turn this into another OS debate, but it's not the Palm OS that makes the Clie look so good; it's the Sony hardware.

Tom W.M.
03-14-2003, 03:31 AM
Maybe the PalmOS scene will change with OS 6. Those Be engineers are likely to come up with something good (Just look at BeOS!).

Ed Hansberry
03-14-2003, 03:38 AM
does that plastic case ever STINK!
That is what happens when you recycle plastic too much. That is recycled M100 bubblegum colored covers melted down into the zire case. Before they were M100 covers, it was excess Palm VII inventory.

pro_worm
03-14-2003, 04:12 AM
PalmSource though through the efforts of a couple of it's OEMs seems to be getting it together.

... and so the beast must be killed at its SOURCE :)

felixdd
03-14-2003, 04:30 AM
(To be spoken like Agent Smith in "The Matrix" where he puts Neo in a headlock on the subway tracks, with the train fast approaching.)

"You smell that Karinatwork? That is the smell of incompatibility. It is the smell of Palm's death. Goodbye, outdated Palm Inc."

rfischer
03-14-2003, 05:32 AM
That's not really a case. It's a mini pair of "Depends" for the Palm. They're necessary when dealing with OLD technology that could take another dump without any warning. It smells because its USED.

I know....pretty gross... :lol:

rfischer
03-14-2003, 05:33 AM
That's not really a case. It's a mini pair of "Depends" for the Palm. They're necessary when dealing with OLD technology that could take another dump at any moment. It smells because its USED.

I know....pretty gross... :lol:

ikesler
03-14-2003, 05:46 AM
You don't like the smell? I have been rubbing it on my wrists and neck before I go out at night............. 8)

Steven Cedrone
03-14-2003, 05:55 AM
try putting that thing onto your night table without getting a whiff of it into your nostrils while you are trying to fall asleep... :wink:

Umm...

Correct me if I'm wrong but: "Sleep is for sissies"... :wink:

Steve

Seraph1024
03-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Roll your windows down in your car, hold the case in your hand, stick the case out and drive around for about 2 hours.

The smell will go away your you will feel its not worth it and keep the case anyways.

L

buddr
03-14-2003, 06:05 AM
Geez, Palm has doing so poorly, even their cases stink! I gotta go to CompUSA and smell one of these babies!!! 8O

karinatwork
03-14-2003, 06:25 AM
You guys are cracking me up! :lol:

Geez, Palm has doing so poorly, even their cases stink! I gotta go to CompUSA and smell one of these babies!!!

You can't smell it at the store. They seal it in one of those impenetrable plastic housings, so that the smells stays strong and fresh ( :eek: ) until the customer opens the package at home!

yschang
03-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Oh well... I have no idea what it looks like and to be honest I don't want to really... :lol:

I bought a PalmIII series Palm Glove Neoprene case for my Mitac 528 which is about the same size as the V35. It fits perfectly and there is a velcro sticker you can stick on the back of your PPC (if you don't mind).

Well, I stick it at the back of my CF expansion and keep it in the case with a spare battery, CF card, CF Wifi card and a minisync cable. And I keep my ppc in my pocket! When I need the CF, I just open the case and stick my machine on to the expansion jacket... nice and easy...

Now that's something very useful from Palm for me!!!

Janak Parekh
03-14-2003, 06:44 AM
I think this is the case (http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1194078&cp=1195078).

It's actually pretty cute-looking. I can also see why it smells something nasty. ;)

--janak

ctmagnus
03-14-2003, 07:12 AM
I think this is the case (http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1194078&cp=1195078).

--janak

Hmm... Judging buy the picture, I would think it would smell like fruit, à la the Imac.

yschang
03-14-2003, 11:48 AM
indeed... it's actually quite cute...
I would have bought one if I saw it...
Who knows that underneath the pretty looking "figure" is a long lasting smell!!! 8O

juni
03-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Does it come with different smells? "Rotten fruit", "New car smell", "Burning cpu" or "Geek-after-all-night-coding"? ;)

Mojo Jojo
03-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Best I can say is... bummer.

On the 'what can I do?' front I can offer this. The material is probably like Tofu, it absorbs what ever it is next to. If you seal it in a plastic package and melt the edges whala... that is the smell.

Now if your inclined to do something about it you can either hope it airs out or take some actions. Like... get a tuperware container and drop in some potpourri (carefull some oils can stain) and the case, or if you have a decent car wash bring a container and spray in a little 'new car smell' for a quarter and suspend the case somehow.

The case will still stink... just perhaps a pleasent stink...

Cracknell
03-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Since it's plastic, you could just wash it with dishwasher soap and cold water then air it out you know :D

It should dissolve whatever non plastic smell it has.
The stinky plastic smell part...
well... It's PLASTIC....

get a leather case.

Cypher
03-14-2003, 03:06 PM
I'd have to agree with the folks that say that it's probably the smell of a company "assuming room temperature."

My only other theory is that, as PDAs become more mainstream, the "geek factor" is diminished, thus eliminating (ahem) prophilactic effect that geek-ware previously engendered. Some wise person at Palm (an oxymoron?) decided to replace the waning geek factor with the smell factor, thus keeping the world free from geek over-population.

Well... it's a theory anyway.

whatsnext?
03-14-2003, 03:21 PM
what about computer before crash or burning rubber :lol: :lol: :lol: :microwave:

denivan
03-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Actually I have the same problem with my Vaja case...I can't leave it on my nightstand because it smells too GOOD :lol:

Ah, the Vaja case...the only leather case that comes shipped in its own leather case ;)

sfjlittel
03-14-2003, 04:31 PM
I think it's dZire a smell that is produced when you put in a PDA other than a Zire :)

ironguy
03-14-2003, 06:15 PM
I opted for the plastic, egg, peppermint car freshener smell at my local car wash. I looked for a week trying to find where they had hidden the Zire case!

Fortunately, the ancient carpeting of my 92 Honda couldn't retain te smell for lomg, so I'm back to the ever pleasant, old carpet, sun baked dash, various spilled food smell! Ah, life is good.

Janak Parekh
03-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Ah, the Vaja case...the only leather case that comes shipped in its own leather case ;)
Yup. You pay through the nose for it, but it does feel and smell very good. It's one of those things you don't mind being almost ripped off for. :D

Back to the Zire case: it's almost definitely the cheap plastic process that causes that stink. You get what you pay for. I like the tofu idea--fill the case up with a bunch of potpurri for a week. :lol:

--janak

karinatwork
03-14-2003, 07:26 PM
I like the tofu idea--fill the case up with a bunch of potpurri for a week.
That thought scares me to death! Who knows what kinda smell will come out at the end.. :eek: Maybe even more lethal!!! :shocked!:

ctmagnus
03-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Here's something I learned long ago...

Vanilla will get the stink out of almost anythink (except possibly situations that require tomato juice, but I have yet to encounter any of those.)

felixdd
03-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Tomato juice only works if the smell is of basic origin -- i.e. skunk spray. Lemon juice works too (my friends dog got sprayed and that's what he used).

Kati Compton
03-15-2003, 05:25 AM
When the garbage disposal stinks, we use baking soda and vinegar. Not sure how that would work on a PDA case, though. ;)

JohnJohn
03-15-2003, 05:48 AM
We told you Palm stinks

Better than my old 3600 case from Compaq...it smelled like a condum.