View Full Version : Backup Software . . .

Psssssssssst
03-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Anyone out there using Pocket Backup by Sprite Software LTD? I saw it recommended as a replacement for the software that is part of PPC 2002. It is much faster at doing what it does than the PPC2002 backup software.

But, I have one question. What do you do to restore when have to hard reset the PPC? With a flaky Toshiba e330 I find that it is necessary to do a hard reset quite often. With the PPC 2002 backup software there is no problem doing the hard reset and then restoring from the backup SD card I carry with me all the time.

If I use the Pocket Backup software I assume that I will not be able to restore without first reinstalling the program after a hard reset. This means that if the PPC goes south while I am out in the field I am up a river without a paddle until I get home and can reinstall the backup software.

Is my thinking correct about this software or am I missing something that is very elementary about restoring after a hard reset.

Psssssssssst

mpattman
03-13-2003, 12:54 PM
I have a copy of the application on my PCMCIA Hard Disk where I create the backups, when I had a hard reset I just ran the PocketBackup application from the PCMCIA Hard Disk, everything worked fine.

The Beta of Pocket Backup Version 2 is worth a look also as it can backup acrosss networks as well.

Psssssssssst
03-13-2003, 02:40 PM
the answer would be something as simple as installing the program to the SD card I use for the backups and I'm all set.

Should have thought of that I guess! Must be a side affect of being folically challenged.

Thanks much for your help mpattman.

Psssssssssst

Ed Hansberry
03-13-2003, 03:20 PM
I think the new 2.0 version they are working on will back your device up to a .EXE file so you can simply tap on that after a hard reset and it will start the restore for you.

With the 1.0 product, I keep a copy of the .CAB file on my SD card. Do a hard reset, tap the .CAB to install the software then do the restore. Make sure the CAB file is read only otherwise it will be deleted after used.

mpattman
03-13-2003, 03:39 PM
I think that you are right Ed, they (SpriteSoftware) were talking about having two versions Pocket Backup and Pocket Backup Plus and I think that that feature will be in the plus version - I might be wrong.

torgamm
03-13-2003, 05:55 PM
I think the new 2.0 version they are working on will back your device up to a .EXE file so you can simply tap on that after a hard reset and it will start the restore for you.Great!

With the 1.0 product, I keep a copy of the .CAB file on my SD card.So do I.
But I installed it in my Built-in Storage too and it works like a charm there.
I provoked several hard resets just to try.