View Full Version : Broken Screen!!

darkman
03-13-2003, 04:52 AM
:cry:
Was riding home from work last night and crashed on my bike. We have about 3 feet of snow, so the roads are a little slippery. When I climbed into bed, I turned on my Jornada, only to see that my screen was broken!!

I called HP to see how much it would cost to have it repaired, but they told me that I had to ship it to them to have it assessed. Then they would quote me a repair price. If I decide that it's too expensive to fix (and buy a Dell...) they will charge me a $45 assessment fee and $20 handling fee!

Has anyone had a screen fixed by HP or any other company before. I contacted PPCtech but they told me that HP won't sell the screens to them.

I used to have a Casio EM500. I broke the screen on that too, but was able to repair it myself following directions in pocketpcpassion.

Any advice?

Stephen Beesley
04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Darkman - I wish I could give you some good news etc, but I am afraid this is more an "I feel for you brother" :cry: message.

I am in the same boat as you I killed the screen of my 568 (Standing on it getting out of bed!) and like you would love to be able to replace it. HP here in Europe where the same It was going to cost me €100 just to send it too them to look at and who knows how much to fix. So now I am looking at the Axim X5 400mhz as a replacement. Pity about the 568 accessories I have. Actually to add insult to injury I had only just got my 568 back from HP about two weeks early after the screen (dust) and battery were replaced under warranty.

Goldtee

RedRamage
04-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Never had a screen repaired myself. Thankfully I've never broken a screen in a PDA since I got my Palm 5000 oh so many years ago. (On a side note, I did break my PDA that I had prior to that... an old CASIO thingy... it was a small clamshell device. Can't remember the model name or number or anything, but it was nice...)

However, another option, rather than the Axim or other new device, is getting a Used Jornada. There are usually quite a few on eBay in the $100-$200 range.

FredMurphy
04-29-2003, 05:41 PM
I've got a working Jornada 568 but with no backlight (which effectively makes it useless) but a working screen.

If anyone wants to make me an offer to use it as spares then feel free to do so. Complete with charger, cradle and all the standard stuff too.

Fred (in London, UK)