View Full Version : What do you call your wireless telephone?

trachy
03-12-2003, 09:33 PM
This is a spinoff from Jason's Mobius posting...

We call them cell phones in the US too no matter what the providers call them. Perhaps a North American habit?

The Germans call it a "handy," which I always thought was kind of dorky when I lived there. Of course, after I moved back to the states I had a difficult time calling it a "cell" again.

If I'm not mistaken, few of the phones we use today are considered cellular phones. Doesn't that label apply to the analog infrastructure that's being phased out?

- Drew

Vincent M Ferrari
03-12-2003, 09:46 PM
I call them "mobiles" It's a habit from working inside the industry, when everyone else calls them the same thing.

eustts
03-12-2003, 09:53 PM
I calls them "mobiles" as well. Industry insider too. :D

Janak Parekh
03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
I do call it "cell phone" with end-users ;)

Otherwise "wireless phone" also works.

drew, you shold run a survey. :D

--janak

don dre
03-12-2003, 10:20 PM
I say cell or just phone. I say, "May I use your phone?" and people generally know you mean cell. I'd feel funny saying "May I use your handy?" or "Show me your new handy?" Maybe that's me.

trachy
03-12-2003, 10:47 PM
drew, you shold run a survey. :D

I thought of that, but I'm more interested in finding out the obscure names first.

Hello Moto.......kind of surprised that hasn't caught on yet. Or has it? :lol:

Pat Logsdon
03-12-2003, 11:03 PM
I refer to mine as my cell. My wife refers to hers as "Mr. Clicky".

felixdd
03-13-2003, 06:52 AM
I call mine "piece of crap" and occasionally the four letter substitute word for manure. Usually during times when I lack signal (which is all the time).

Steven Cedrone
03-13-2003, 07:00 AM
I call mine "piece of crap" and occasionally the four letter substitute word for manure.

:rofl: Yours has the same name as mine!!! :wink:

Steve

Crystal Eitle
03-13-2003, 05:34 PM
I call mine a "cell phone" even though it's not. (Or "smell phone" :) )

In France they call 'em "portables," which makes perfect sense, as it's always portable no matter what the underlying technology is. I wish we called them that here!

phanprod
03-14-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm still stuck on 'cell phone' myself. I can see where the German 'handy' comes in - back in the days when I only had my amatuer radio to converse with people, those mobile radios were called handy-talkies (or ht for short). I found it cheesy then, and still do. I preferred walkie-talkie, but the manufacturers always did (and still do) call them 'ht's.

ctmagnus
03-15-2003, 01:03 AM
Poll here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10117). Enjoy!