View Full Version : French Fries or Freedom Fries...

denivan
03-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Have a great time....please bring me back some FRENCH FRIES, and some FRENCH BREAD, and FRENCH DRESSING....

Actually, I saw on the news today that those things are called freedom fries and freedom toast etc. in the USA ;)

Foo Fighter
03-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Congrats! Have a great time, and be sure to eat lots of Freedom fries, er.. I mean French fries! :P

garrans
03-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Oh my god, I saw the whole "replace French w/ Freedom" for fries crap on the TV this morning.

I'm a staunch supporter of getting the job done in Iraq, UN / No UN. But this latest bit will make the French Press (and I'm not talking about coffee) state "What a pack of Dumbass Americans" and not support the cause in Europe.

Lets keep it to the real discussion: If you want Veto power, tell us what you'll stand up for.

Rant Over.

thanos255
03-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Ok I really DIDN'T mean to start something political here.....BUT while we are on the subject...all I have to say is this...

If it wasn't for America's help....the French would be speaking German these days.....

Anyway, have a GREAT trip Jason...

Thanks
Thanos

apeguero
03-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Have a great time Jason. Show those French how much we care about them and make sure you mispronounce every single French word you see. Use a southern accent too when you try to pronounce the words. That should really p*ss them off :D (needless to say how I feel about France right now).

Anyway, enjoy and bring back a lot of pictures and toys for us PocketPC hungry fans.

Jason Dunn
03-12-2003, 09:09 PM
If it wasn't for America's help....the French would be speaking German these days.....

<cough cough> Let's not forget about Canada. It was all of the allies that worked hard over there. :wink:

denivan
03-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Sorry for putting this thread on the 'off-topic-track' ;)

As a punishment...no freedom fries for me !

Reza
03-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Actually we probably would ALL be speaking German… but thanks anyway for sharing such primitive and out of place opinion! :roll:

MPSmith
03-12-2003, 09:23 PM
<cough cough> Let's not forget about Canada. It was all of the allies that worked hard over there. :wink:

I always thought your avatar was a cartoon of one of your ancestors storming the beaches at Normandy! :wink:

Have a great trip!

Mike

don dre
03-12-2003, 09:25 PM
I saw that on the news the other day, I couldn;t believe how ridiculous this France bashing has gotten. I like the French ambassador's reply. He only said: "Actually, fries are from Belgium."
I never liked the French and their condescending attitudes towards Americans but we are certainly being petty. Besides, what a stupid name. What does Iraq have to do with freedom? I also heard that people are boycotting french wine. while I think this is foolish on a wine drinking level, it's worse because many french wineries are owned by Californians...ah, globalization. Maybe we'll riot and destroy our own country in protest too.
Okay, I'm done.
PS I have friends in Kuwait in the military and I support them regardless fo the reasons for war.

Reza
03-12-2003, 10:36 PM
I never liked the French
And I never liked people who narrow-mindedly and systematically derive or deduce a general conception from particulars. Do you agree with every decision your government makes? Do you see all French as being alike and thinking in a similar way? If you do then you are basically discriminating, so please don't generalize…

Noel
03-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Be understated, yet go in up-to-the-minute STYLE!!!

http://www.seespotruninc.com/images/20030308-rpda.jpg

8)

Pat Logsdon
03-12-2003, 11:25 PM
I never liked the French and their condescending attitudes towards Americans but we are certainly being petty.

The French are entitled to their opinions, and in this case, I happen to think that they're right. Besides, if their leaders are reflecting the opinions of their constituents (which P.M. Blair is NOT doing), well...isn't that what they're supposed to do?

And as far as condescending - it makes sense. Americans are generally considered to be loud and obnoxious in most places in the world.

oom
03-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Thanos255
How long will the French have to be the toadies of America because of our help during WW2.
If You want to use that logic, then we owe them everyting,
for their help in liberating us from the British during our fight for independence.
We probably would still be the subjects of the Queen Mother if it was not for the French.
Therefore we are even.
Let the French think what they want.

Craig

where is that emoticon for the finger? :wink:

sullivanpt
03-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Jason,

Don't forget to bring some "Canadian Bacon" with you to trade for those Belgian "French Fries".

:lol:

Have a dandy trip.

Fishie
03-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Oh my god, I saw the whole "replace French w/ Freedom" for fries crap on the TV this morning.

I'm a staunch supporter of getting the job done in Iraq, UN / No UN. But this latest bit will make the French Press (and I'm not talking about coffee) state "What a pack of Dumbass Americans" and not support the cause in Europe.

Lets keep it to the real discussion: If you want Veto power, tell us what you'll stand up for.

Rant Over.

Well if you want the answer to that do a search on wich countries have used veto power and for what the last few decades.

The US simply dwarfs all other countries combined on isseus ranging from condemning South Africa for Apartheid and condemning Israel for the unlwaful immigration to the ocupied teritories etcetera.

Fishie
03-13-2003, 12:59 AM
Ok I really DIDN'T mean to start something political here.....BUT while we are on the subject...all I have to say is this...

Anyway, have a GREAT trip Jason...

Thanks
Thanos

Actually that was mostly thanks to the Russians and the fact that they decimated the German armies long before the US got involved towards the end of the war.
By the end of the war when the US got involved the US was fighting children as young as 16 years old since the adult German soldiers were spread verry thin.

Fishie
03-13-2003, 01:01 AM

Yah Canada got involved(mainly becouse of the fact that France was under German siege) long before the US even tought of entering the war.

Steven Cedrone
03-13-2003, 06:42 AM
I think the rule should be: Off-Topic can be about anything, provided it is not about politics... :roll:

Have we had enough? There are plenty of sites you can go to and argue about this. Let's not do it here...

Thread locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Ed Hansberry
03-13-2003, 01:48 PM
I think the rule should be: Off-Topic can be about anything, provided it is not about politics... :roll:

Have we had enough? There are plenty of sites you can go to and argue about this. Let's not do it here...

Thread locked...

Oh, wait - except for this. This is funny!

Forget "freedom fries," says commentator James Poniewozik. A real French cultural chauvinist would rather see a Republican Guard unit on their street than a Burger King. If you really want to annoy the French, don't take their name off crappy American foods -- put it on more of them. Pop Tarts? Make them French Toasties.
:lol:
You should listen to the whole thing at http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1189259