View Full Version : Best CF wireless LAN card?

Foo Fighter
03-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Trying to figure out which Wireless CF card would be best for my Axim? How reliable are these CF wiFi cards?

Should I just ditch the Axim and go with a Wireless PPC, like Toshiba's new E750? :?

handheldplanet
03-12-2003, 08:37 PM
I have two Symbol Wireless Networker CF cards and they work great. They're maybe 5-10 short (range) in comparison to my Lucent Orinoco Gold card. I'm not sure about the others on the market, but I specifically like the low profile of this card - I can take it out of the device and put in one of my case's pockets when not in use.

As far as using integrated WiFi, I've owned an e740 and the integrated WiFi on it was very poor, I mean VERY poor. I currently use an iPAQ 5455 and its WiFi is really good. The software is also very good.

bdeli
03-12-2003, 10:10 PM
I have the Linksys WCF12. Works flawlessly in my iPAQ, range is good and price is reasonable. If i had some extra $$ to spend I would have gotten the Symbol/Socket for it's smaller form factor.

Foo Fighter
03-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I just ordered the Netgear MA701 Wireless CompactFlash Adapter from Amazon. I've had pretty good results with Netgear products, and this unit is fairly cheap. Not sure about the range though.

nkannan
03-12-2003, 11:42 PM
I had the WCF12 from LinkSys, then I broke it :cry:

I now have the MA701 Netgear, and it works very well.

- Naresh

Jhokur2k
03-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Also using the MA701, no complaints at all *except the price I paid for it :P *

dr_doak
03-13-2003, 06:12 AM
A coworker and I both bought Axims last December along with WCF12 cards. Both cards have now failed withing a couple of weeks of eachother. They seem to be EXTREMELY sensitive to any bending. I wore my Axim on my belt all the time, so thats a possibility for its damage, but my coworker keeps his in a case.

The cards still sort of work if you press back on it while using it... Otherwise it will not work.

delfuhd
03-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Symbol!!! THe greatest wireless LAN Card EVER: Symbol Spectrum 24bit.
I own a Linksys WLAN, Symbol, and Socket cf cards. All good, but I use the Symbol every day, and it is much better for me. Much smaller, and yes there is more expense, but it makes up for it, even with it's size difference between the Linksys. http://www.symbol.com/ Go there and bask in heaven :wink: lol.

phanprod
03-14-2003, 08:36 PM
I have had pretty good luck with my D-Link card - and with the $40 rebate they offered (from a $75 price), it was a pretty good deal.

KameSama
03-19-2003, 03:58 PM
I have the Linksys WCF12. Works flawlessly in my iPAQ, range is good and price is reasonable. If i had some extra $$ to spend I would have gotten the Symbol/Socket for it's smaller form factor.

I and a friend of mine have the same card. They have both died after a month of operation. We think that they may not rugged enough for general use. I'm gonna get mine warranty replaced and then sell it and buy a different brand. (Hence why I'm looking at this thread). Buyer beware I hope its just our bad luck.

KameSama
03-19-2003, 04:27 PM
A coworker and I both bought Axims last December along with WCF12 cards. Both cards have now failed withing a couple of weeks of eachother. They seem to be EXTREMELY sensitive to any bending. I wore my Axim on my belt all the time, so thats a possibility for its damage, but my coworker keeps his in a case.

The cards still sort of work if you press back on it while using it... Otherwise it will not work.

Hehe sorry Dr. Doak(My coworker) I should have kept reading. I read Bdelli's post and went into instant attack mode. :lol:

Fzara
06-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Sorry to ressurect, but looks like I found out i'm not the only one who is having problems with my WCF12. Seems like I bended it back and forth to see if it works, and now the light doesnt show up.

I've just requested an RMA so i'll be sending it back within this week.

David Prahl
06-14-2003, 02:11 AM
How does the range of the CF cards compare to the range of PCMCIA or PCI adapters?

hawkeye
06-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Are there any CF 802.11g cards on the market. I will be deploying a G network at home and I don't want to take the performance hit of dropping a B device on the network?

David Prahl
06-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Remind me again why 802.11g is good (no, I'm not being sarcastic).

Although having 54mbps is nice, your Internet access will never get close to even 5 mbps. :?

How does security on G compare with B and A?

Why will 802.11i be secure? :?:

hawkeye
06-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Remind me again why 802.11g is good (no, I'm not being sarcastic).

Although having 54mbps is nice, your Internet access will never get close to even 5 mbps. :?

How does security on G compare with B and A?

Why will 802.11i be secure? :?:

I don't have a wireless network yet so I'd rather deploy the fastest possible. Not for interenet, especially since I'm on dial-up, but just for my home network. G networks throughput drops dramatically if it can see just one B device.

I don't have any need for G speeds on my Ipaq (it couldn't take advantage of them anyway). I just don't want to infect my G network with a B device.

I think security is the same on G as with B and A.

Check out the last PC Mag for a great wireless roundup!!

targetdrone
06-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Also using the MA701, no complaints at all *except the price I paid for it :P *

They are now $55 at my local Circuit City and have a $30 mail-in rebate to make them only $25. I wish I needed another one. I may go get a spare. I can use my brother's name and address for the other rebate.