View Full Version : Best way to migrate data from palm to ppc w/o palm

mr_yellow
03-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Simple situation:

Contacts, Calendar, Todo's, Memos, are on palm desktop.

I want to move them over to outlook XP.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a palm so I can't hotsync with any kind of palm->outlook conduit.

How can I migrate this data over so I don't have to reinput everything manually?

Thanks,

yellow

Vincent M Ferrari
03-12-2003, 07:54 PM
I used the Yahoo Intellisync both ways and it did the trick... You'll have to twiddle with it a little bit, and it's a two step process:

Sync Palm Desktop -> Yahoo
Yahoo -> Outlook

When you're done, just delete Intellisync.

Like I said, it worked reasonably well for me. Your results may vary...

Vinny

mr_yellow
03-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Heya..

I d/led intellisync for yahoo and installed it, but it still doesn't import the settings from palm desktop and says I still have to press the hotsync button to initiate it..

Hmm.. there must be some way to do this without the need for a hotsync/palm in cradle...

Vincent M Ferrari
03-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Sorry... MY mistake. You can import the Palm Desktop Archive files into Yahoo:

In Palm Desktop go to File, Export, and make sure the file type is Archive. Do this for the address book and the calendar. Then just go to Yahoo and hit import/export, change the file type to Datebook Archive or Addressbook Archive, and import it. Now change the settings on intellisync to overwrite anything that's in Outlook and synchronize.

It'll work like a charm! :)

mr_yellow
03-16-2003, 07:18 AM
hate to do this to ya vincenzosi, but i really only need my memo archives in palm desktop.. yahoo doesn't allow imports of memo archives!

argh... roadblocks popping up everywhere!

what can i do with a memopad archive?

hmm.. darninit

Weyoun6
03-16-2003, 08:21 AM
What I did with my palm -> ppc movement was to export from palm desktop a file in a format that outlook could understand (I think it was csv or tab). Then I imported it into outlook. its a little clumsy, and you may have to tweak it, but thats how I did it.

mr_yellow
03-16-2003, 11:29 PM
What I did with my palm -> ppc movement was to export from palm desktop a file in a format that outlook could understand (I think it was csv or tab). Then I imported it into outlook. its a little clumsy, and you may have to tweak it, but thats how I did it.

That works for the calendar and address databases, *but* won't work with memos since outlook doesn't seem to have any way to importing memos into notes.. (correct me if i'm wrong.. I've looked everywhere)

and all my palm memos are really what I want to save soo.. please.. anyone else out there?

yellow

Vincent M Ferrari
03-17-2003, 12:14 AM
It's very straightforward... (Outlook XP)

1. Go to the Palm Memo application
2. Select Export from the file menu
3. Choose the All option, and save it as a Tab Delimited File to your desktop

In Outlook:

Go to File
Import/Export
Import from another program or file
Tab Separated Values (Windows)
Pick the file you saved on your desktop
Decide whether you want duplicates to be okay (since you don't have any in there yet, it probably doesn't matter one way or the other).
Pick the folder you want to save the imported memos in
Go to Map Custom fields on the next screen, and drag the body from the memo on the left to the "Note Body" section on the right
Drag the Category Name on the left to the "Categories field on the right"
Press Okay.
Make sure the new map is checked in the box above.
And click Finish.

Voila.

The only caveat is that since Palm Desktop doesn't save the memo title separately, your memos will all use the first line as the title in Outlook. A minor tradeoff for getting all the info into your new handheld!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to respond here, or use one of my contact links below.

mr_yellow
03-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Soooo close...

yet so far away..

guess what happened:

1) i got the memos exported from palm desktop fine. tab delimited text. yay!
2) opened up outlook, set up to import from tab delimited file.
3) complained that the conversion filter wasn't installed. okay, i put in office xp cd and install it.
4) continue on to mapping the fields,
5) note body and category mapped
6) import, memos show up in in notes folder in outlook
7) breathe a sign of relief...
8) plug in the h1910
9) 150 notes need syncing
10) sync it up.. done!
11) check out notes on ppc. i see a big list of memos..
12) things are looking good.
13) start setting up directories to categorize the memos.
14) while creating the new directories, i notice a BIG problem

ALL the notes on the ppc have size of 0!!! ZERO!! arrgh.!
Turns out that none of the notes on the ppc have any content.. just the title... THe notes onthe desktop however are fine. full content and all...

Sooo..

I try deleting all the notes, resyncing with out the category fields, same..
I try unplugging everything, and restarting outlook, no diff. The last thing I haven't done is restart the comp.. hmm.. lemme try that now and see what happens...

hoping for a miracle...

mr_yellow
03-17-2003, 07:08 AM
OKAY.. this thread is officially closed.

I got it working.... but with some help from some brighthand palm users...

details here:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/showthread.php?s=&postid=147420#post147420

basically what i had to do was install a palmOS5 Simulator, get it syncing with my hotsync via the network, and use the regular outlook conduits like desktop to go/pocketmirror to get my memos transferred to outlook. And they were fully transferred too! with full content and all.. =)

Thanks to all that helped.

yellow