View Full Version : Should I wait?

wizardmaster2k
03-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Alright, everybody has heard of the new Xscale processor, the one that will fix the speed issue and all. Well, I have been without a PPC for a while, it is hard :(. Should I wait for the new PPC's to come out with the new stuff (as in processor, maby new battery type, and memory situation) or get one of the PPC's I have singled out (ipaq 3955, ipaq 1910, Dell x5). This is a hard choice for me, maby a few others out there are having the same problem? Thanks.

I got to High School. I want something small, I own a 256 SD card, so that makes all these PPC's work, (I want to use this as a planner/mp3/entertainment devise)

What would be the best out of the three?

Reinaldo
03-12-2003, 03:05 AM
I got to High School. I want something small, I own a 256 SD card, so that makes all these PPC's work, (I want to use this as a planner/mp3/entertainment devise)

Let's see. Small=1910. Yet, if you want to have relativley fast speed, it would have to be either the Axim or the 3955.

However, I just remenbered. DO NOT get the 1910 if you plan on installing games on your SD card or putting music and all kinds of stuff. It doesn't hae SDIO. Any other Pocket PC (including the ones you mentioned) will work.

PetiteFlower
03-12-2003, 03:31 AM
None of them have SDIO, but that shouldn't have anything to do with whether you can install apps to a memory card as far as I can tell....SDIO just means you will be able to use an SD bluetooth or wifi card when they come out. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). And it's possible that any/all of these devices may possibly be upgradable to include SDIO capabilities at some point in the future.

If you want small, yes get the 1910. However if you want faster/more powerful, or if long battery life is important to you, get the Dell. I actually can't think of a single advantage that the 3955 has over the 400 mh Dell, so if anyone knows one feel free to point it out :) The dell has 16M more ROM and a CF slot, everything else looks the same. Oh the 3955 has a .28" bigger screen :) And costs $200 more.

Slightly OT--based on this comparison, something tells me that the 39-series prices had better come down or Dell is going to boot them out of the market.

Janak Parekh
03-12-2003, 04:42 AM
If you want small, yes get the 1910. However if you want faster/more powerful, or if long battery life is important to you, get the Dell. I actually can't think of a single advantage that the 3955 has over the 400 mh Dell, so if anyone knows one feel free to point it out :)
Remote control, sleeve expandability, and bigger screen. You do lose the internal dual slots, though. Even though I've been an iPaq guy, I'd say go for the Dell unless you're invested in iPaq accessories/sleeves.

Slightly OT--based on this comparison, something tells me that the 39-series prices had better come down or Dell is going to boot them out of the market.
You're not the only one.

Oh, and WizardMaster2k, if you want to wait, the e750 will theoretically answer the question if the PXA255 fixes the performance issues with the original XScale chips. Waiting is hard, though. ;)

--janak

mscdex
03-12-2003, 06:51 AM
I also have a similar dilemma. I was pretty much set on the new Axim, but now since the e75x is out, I am back to the drawing board. What I want to know is it worth the wait to see if the e75x will come down in price a fair amount, that is reasonable (if it comes down enough at all), say $300-$400? The thing that I like about the Axim is you get a lot of bang for your buck, but with this new Toshiba PPC, you get the newer Xscale CPU, and built in wifi, more memory, etc.. What should I do?

brntcrsp
03-12-2003, 08:05 AM
I also have a similar dilemma. I was pretty much set on the new Axim, but now since the e75x is out, I am back to the drawing board. What I want to know is it worth the wait to see if the e75x will come down in price a fair amount, that is reasonable (if it comes down enough at all), say $300-$400? The thing that I like about the Axim is you get a lot of bang for your buck, but with this new Toshiba PPC, you get the newer Xscale CPU, and built in wifi, more memory, etc.. What should I do?

You'll be waiting a long while for the new toshibas to come down in price. It normally takes at least 6 months before we begin to see any sort of discount on the hardware and seeing as how the e75x isn't even on sale you could be waiting till next year to get it at the price point you're looking for.

mattp
03-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Theoretically, you could probably wait forever for the "latest and greatest." Toshiba will have the new processor soon. Of course Compaq will have to match that and maybe they'll throw in on-board bluetooth also, which might make the Compaq even more attractive. Then, maybe Dell = integrated bluetooth + Wi-Fi + 700mhz. Gotta stop -- getting myself a little excited here.

Personnally, the temptation to upgrade my poor, old E-125 is killing me, but I've committed to wait for the new operating system (and Verizon to offer a stinkin' bluetooth phone :evil: ). For my purposes, Pocket PC 2002 just isn't that much better than 2000. If the new OS is much better for my purposes, you'll have to be pretty fast to get in line ahead of me.

Personnally, I think the decision to wait or not hinges on the new OS and maybe the processor if you are really into games or read alot of huge documents. I think and hope, hope, hope, that the new OS is going to be a significant improvement with regard to things like Pocket Word, Inbox, PocketIE, etc. I flat out refuse to carry my laptop on the road, but it's hard sometimes.

So, yes, I have the same problem and, no, I'm not interested in any of the current PPCs.

In my case alone, I vote for waiting . . . the hardware is good, we need the OS.

Note the excessive use of terms such as "probably" and "personnally" -- only my $0.02.

Vincent M Ferrari
03-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Alright, everybody has heard of the new Xscale processor, the one that will fix the speed issue and all. Well, I have been without a PPC for a while, it is hard :(. Should I wait for the new PPC's to come out with the new stuff (as in processor, maby new battery type, and memory situation) or get one of the PPC's I have singled out (ipaq 3955, ipaq 1910, Dell x5). This is a hard choice for me, maby a few others out there are having the same problem? Thanks.

Truthfully, no matter when you buy, there'll be another one out there that'll make you want to wait, basically meaning you're going to be waiting forever out of fear something better will come along.

From experience: Something better always comes along, so frankly, find the one that best suits your needs now and doesn't break the bank, and upgrade it in a couple of years if it doesn't work out.

Good luck in making your decision (I think the Dell might be your best bet... The deciding factors being price/performance)...

wizardmaster2k
03-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Ok, well I found a good deal on an Axim (400 MHz version brand new) on Ebay. I bought it :) I'm gonna make the MO tomorrow, thanks for the advise.

Brad Adrian
03-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok, well I found a good deal on an Axim...
That's terrific! Be sure to post any other questions you might have. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Pocket PC.