View Full Version : Theme Switcher?

ctmagnus
03-11-2003, 11:15 PM
From Microsoft's PowerToys for the Pocket PC (http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/powertoys.asp) page:

Theme Switcher
A today page plug-in that will automatically switch the today theme at a user defined interval

Am I missing something, or is this another thing that only works on native PPC2002 devices? Or is Microsoft missing something?

Sven Johannsen
03-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Am I missing something, or is this another thing that only works on native PPC2002 devices?

Do you mean, does it not work on upgraded iPAQs? MS Themes are only supported on PPC2002 devices (by MS), so a theme switcher would naturally require PPC2002 :?:

ctmagnus
03-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Am I missing something, or is this another thing that only works on native PPC2002 devices?

Do you mean, does it not work on upgraded iPAQs? MS Themes are only supported on PPC2002 devices (by MS), so a theme switcher would naturally require PPC2002 :?:

I'm referring to the switcher on upgraded devices. I use a 3670 w/PPC2002 and I see no indication of it being installed to the PPC when I instal it on the desktop end.

spursdude
03-12-2003, 03:02 AM
I'm referring to the switcher on upgraded devices. I use a 3670 w/PPC2002 and I see no indication of it being installed to the PPC when I instal it on the desktop end.

It is a Today Screen plugin, so go ahead and check Start>Settings>Today and see if it's listed in the items.

ctmagnus
03-12-2003, 04:14 AM
It is a Today Screen plugin, so go ahead and check Start>Settings>Today and see if it's listed in the items.

Nada. Like I said, nothing is transferred to the PPC when I install it on the desktop.

fwiw,

Desktop end: Windows 2000 Pro SP3, Office XP SP2, ActiveSync 3.6

PPC end: Pocket PC EUU3, ROM update 2.20 on iPaq H3670

Patt
03-12-2003, 05:13 AM
Look in the directory on your PC where theme generator installed itself. On my machine Theme gen installed itself in /program file/theme generator. Under that is a dir called Themeswitch. In that directory there is a CAB file called themeswitch.CAB and a file called installthemeswitch.exe. You could copy the CAB file to your device and run it there or you could run installthemeswitch.exe on your PC. I just discovered these myself. Haven't run it yet, hope it works!

Patt.

A quick update here: the install prog didn't work for me, but copying the CAB file did. It is, indeed, a today plugin. Works pretty well, only thing I would add would be to have it select a random theme instead of cycling through the selected ones. Oh well, I shouldn't complain about a free thing ... :)

fireflyrsmr
03-12-2003, 05:53 AM
i have the same machine (3670) and upgrade to 2002. no theme*.exe anywhere on My Device. :o

ctmagnus
03-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Look in the directory on your PC where theme generator installed itself. On my machine Theme gen installed itself in /program file/theme generator. Under that is a dir called Themeswitch. In that directory there is a CAB file called themeswitch.CAB and a file called installthemeswitch.exe.

:confused totally:

I uninstalled Theme Generator (I had it on D: for some unknown reason), re-downloaded it and reinstalled it, taking all the defaults. Yet, I have no subfolders under C:\Program Files\Theme Generator.

The only contents of that directory are CabWiz.exe, makecab.exe, SkinApp.exe, TskUtil.dll and cabwiz.ddf.

The only thing I can think of is that ActiveSync is looking for device info during it's install, whether the device is connected or not, and installing features based on what it finds.

:confused totally:

Patt
03-12-2003, 06:55 AM
The themeswitcher CAB file will be on your PC after you download the themegenerator (and run it) from Microsoft. I think the link for that is above in this thread. The download from MS is an msi file that you run, it will install theme generator on your PC and make a dir below where it installed theme gen where the themeswitcher CAB file will be placed. This CAB file needs to be put on your device by yourself and then run.

Patt

ctmagnus
03-12-2003, 07:00 AM
The themeswitcher CAB file will be on your PC after you download the themegenerator (and run it) from Microsoft. I think the link for that is above in this thread. The download from MS is an msi file that you run, it will install theme generator on your PC and make a dir below where it installed theme gen where the themeswitcher CAB file will be placed. This CAB file needs to be put on your device by yourself and then run.

Patt

I grabbed the msi file today (I supplied the link :)) but no subdirectory.

I'll try it again, just to be triple sure.

Patt
03-12-2003, 07:01 AM
ctmagnus:

I just dl it again and ran the msi, I selected to modify the install, the next screen show two programmes theme generator and theme switcher.
Try running the msi again, and choose modify and see what happens.

Patt.

ctmagnus
03-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Aha! The top link and the bottom link both indicate on the Theme Generator page (http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/themegenerator.asp) both imply the latest version but the bottom link is the one I want. I d/led the top one before.

Patt
03-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Well,

that might explain it :wink:

Hope it works for ya!!!!

Patt