View Full Version : Pocket Inbox Email Storage Structure: Ultimately Flawed?

Jason Dunn
03-12-2003, 08:00 PM
As I start to juggle multiple email accounts within Pocket Inbox, I start to wonder about the split between how Outlook and Pocket Inbox handle these. In Outlook I have a single directory tree, multiple email accounts, and rules to funnel downloaded email into various folders. It's a good system: all my email is in one place.<br /><br />The more I use Pocket Inbox though, the more I realize how cumbersome it is to have an folder structure for every POP account (I have four). My desire is to replicate the Outlook desktop experience on my Pocket PC, and to date I've found checking my email on the device is of very limited value to me. I can't download a message, respond to it, move it to the appropriate folder, then have that transaction sync back into Outlook. I don't have rules to sort my email, nor do I have any sort of automated spam blocking. I'm doing everything twice and using my Pocket PC as little more than a mobile-spam deleting device (connect, download, delete spam, connect again). Not very productive. ;-)<br /><br />What are your thoughts on this?

dMores
03-12-2003, 08:05 PM
the solution is simple: don't use pocket inbox.

i haven't personally tested it yet, but @mail (http://www.pocketinformant.com/download.php) is supposed to be the über-email-client.

Peter Foot
03-12-2003, 08:09 PM
There was a time when Microsoft had the dream of the universal inbox, when they bundled exchange client with windows 95 - was supposed to handle all your emailing and faxing from a single unified inbox.

It wouldn't be a huge technical leap to do - when you have mulitple emails in Outlook they go out through the same outbox and are marked for which account they actually use, likewise a single inbox. Although a complex rules engine may be a bit beyond pocket outlook...

thanos255
03-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Jason,

I have the exact smae problem. Here is what I found out.

If you get @mail, which I use, you can cut and paste messages from service to service. This makes it somewhat easier to organize things.....BUT it is also very annoying. It is better then the default Inbox....but at what cost? That is for each person to decide.

Hopefully someone at microsoft or WebIS will fix this problem VERY soon...

Thanks
Thanos

Ed Hansberry
03-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Personally, I dislike Outlook on the desktop for mingling it. I have my corporate account, main personal account, freebie that came with my ISP and Hotmail. Hotmail is the only one that doesn't throw sand in the other's sandboxes.

I've had to create filters to keep my two personal accounts separate from my work emails and they still get mashed into a single SENT ITEMS folder. I had to add the "Email Account" column header to my SENT ITEMS so I could manually move personal outbounds to my personal archive file, thus keeping the archive process from moving all of sent items to my corporate archive.

kfluet
03-12-2003, 08:40 PM
This works for me:

Log into desktop Outlook in the AM and have it delete SPAM mostly automatically. Scan other messages, and don't delete or file messages that I want to read on my PDA.

Then, sync my PDA and let it grab those few messages.

I still have two mailboxes to go through, but I don't have to delete SPAM, and the number of messages is pretty small and therefore not really painful. I can sit in a comfy chair and read mailing lists and reply to most messages on my PDA.

For the rest of the day I check mail on the desktop.

I used to check mail occasionally with Pocket Outlook later in the day, but I don't do that much any more for exactly the reasons you mention. It's just too much a pain in the butt to delete 50 SPAM messages to find those two or three real messages. It's too much of a waste of time.

Hopefully @Mail will add some filtering rules so that I can automatically dump obvious SPAM ("penis" in the title, etc.) in the trash and sort all messages into one inbox. Maybe the @Mail guys are reading this? I'll buy @Mail it if they add filtering.

PJE
03-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Personally, I dislike Outlook on the desktop for mingling it. I have my corporate account, main personal account, freebie that came with my ISP and Hotmail. Hotmail is the only one that doesn't throw sand in the other's sandboxes.

I've had to create filters to keep my two personal accounts separate from my work emails and they still get mashed into a single SENT ITEMS folder. I had to add the "Email Account" column header to my SENT ITEMS so I could manually move personal outbounds to my personal archive file, thus keeping the archive process from moving all of sent items to my corporate archive.

Ed,

Try TheBat! (http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat)

It has separate InBoxes, OutBoxes, Sent Mail, Filters... etc.. for each mail account. The filters are per account (which is sometimes inconvenient) and they can sort mail into folders which are of local or global...

The only reason I don't use it for work emails is that it doesn't talk to our internal microsoft mail (not exchange) server.

I'd love a TheBat! on the PocketPC, but there will always be the issue of where should the email be routed and archived. The situation where email deleted off the PocketPC is also deleted from Outlook (unless I've missed something) is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE. Until this is addressed I'm not using my PocketPC for email viewing (it's not internet connected other than WiFi at home anyway...)

PJE

fixerdude
03-12-2003, 08:55 PM
I've been fortunate to be able to move from POP to IMAP. I download all my emails (2 accounts) from the server via IMAP. I have server based spam removers running for both accounts. Do all my moves to appropriate folders, deletions, etc and then sync again later in the day. This is all done in pocket inbox using the "Move To.." option. I found moving e-mails in folders in @Mail to be cumbersome.

My $0.02.

rubberdemon
03-12-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm moving to a PPCPE soon, and also was wondering if there were a better way to do mail. Two options, both speculative have occurred to me lately. 1. @Mail promises to be very full featured in the future; a dialogue with Alex about everyone's desires for a PPC mail client might bear interesting fruit. 2. How easy is it to set up an IMAP server on your home PC??? Number 2 is really speculative!

andersw
03-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Personally I just canīt figure out what the @mail fuzz is all about. As far as I can see itīs just a pretty shell on top of Pocket Inbox with the added possibility to view HTML e-mail (though the actual viewing area is much too small to be useful) and some integration with Pocket Informant (I use Agenda Fusion). Apart from the pretty greenish lists for each inbox (separated) - what is it good for? Why should I pay money to use it?

Iīm looking for a solution that gives me the ability to do all my e-mail management on my PPC but I still havenīt found any good software yet. Why this big black hole around e-mail management on a PPC when we have a number of PIM solutions to choose from?

Tonight I saw this service that I'll investigate further:

http://www.loudpc.com/index.htm

Has anyone had any experience with LoudPC? Seems like a good thing to have full access to my Outlook client and file structure at home (since my PC is always online). The price is a bit steep though...

JonnoB
03-12-2003, 09:45 PM

You can always create multiple profiles for each account (each having their own storage) and then share the personal storage files in each profile. This does require you to log out of Outlook and log in via a different profile to check all accounts... :-(

Of course, you can use categories and rules to route messages as well for both send and recieved messages inside one profile.

andersw
03-12-2003, 09:49 PM
1. @Mail promises to be very full featured in the future; a dialogue with Alex about everyone's desires for a PPC mail client might bear interesting fruit.

I just canīt believe the situation weīre in! The PPC world (well maybe not everybody :) is turning to this one guy (Alex) for an e-mail client that will include everything everybody needs? I just canīt understand why we havenīt gotten here sooner than this! Let's hope that the new PPC version (coming in june was it?) will include an upgraded version of the Pocket Inbox application an that it will expose a proper interface so that we developers can create powerful and useful plug-ins.

I just donīt see the @Mail thing happening - sorry...

(Donīt forget nPOP as an alternative)

Jason Dunn
03-12-2003, 09:52 PM
http://www.loudpc.com/index.htm

Has anyone had any experience with LoudPC? Seems like a good thing to have full access to my Outlook client and file structure at home (since my PC is always online). The price is a bit steep though...

I'm familiar with them, and at one point was going to do a big promotion with them, but their interface on the Pocket PC needed a lot of work - they were essentially just giving Pocket PC users a WAP interface, which wasn't enough. I tried to give them guidance on improving their interface, but they weren't that interested in listening. :wink: A solution like this might be a good one though!

Jason Lee
03-12-2003, 09:54 PM
I manage all my email with my ppc. I do not sync anything through activesync. I connect directly with pocket inbox either through ethernet(wired/wireless), modem, mobile phone, or shared connection though the cradle.

I even manage hotmail this way thanks to this wonderful program, Pocket Hotmail (http://www.frieger.com/).

I use imap, pop or http to pull my mail from each account to it's own inbox, not a stinking shared inbox. I wouldn't have seperate email accounts if I wanted all my email to show up in one spot. And if I did I would tell it to. They used to call it forwarding back in the day... ahh.. pine mail... *sigh* :wink:

anyway, I can then read and move all the email to the appropriate sub-folder or just delete it then reconnect to the server (or if still connected just send/recieve) and everything it put where I told it to go.

The only thing I would like is to be able to move mail from one account to another for archive reasons.

Oh and HTML email stinks... :D

WindWalker
03-12-2003, 10:03 PM
1. @Mail promises to be very full featured in the future; a dialogue with Alex about everyone's desires for a PPC mail client might bear interesting fruit.

I just canīt believe the situation weīre in! The PPC world (well maybe not everybody :) is turning to this one guy (Alex) for an e-mail client that will include everything everybody needs? I just canīt understand why we havenīt gotten here sooner than this! Let's hope that the new PPC version (coming in june was it?) will include an upgraded version of the Pocket Inbox application an that it will expose a proper interface so that we developers can create powerful and useful plug-ins.

I just donīt see the @Mail thing happening - sorry...

(Donīt forget nPOP as an alternative)

I find it interesting that you find the potential for @mail to be so small, when what you are suggesting needs to be done is exactly what Alex and his team at WebIS is looking to do.

From the outset, WebIS has said that these initial relases of @mail are laying the groundwork for a more fully featured client. Having watched the progression of Pocket Informant to its most recent iteration, I have faith that good things will comes from @mail, even if for now it doesn't do everything everyone wants.

Mu .02 is in.....now, backing away from the soapbox...

ExtremeSIMS
03-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Anyone here use Mail.app? Its layout is pretty good, IMO - all inboxes together, both sep. and co-mingling, and the rest of the folders listed under the service. Its spam checking is also very good.

I use Entourage for Mac OS X, and even that model would work for Pocket PC.

--

Btw, does it seem to be rant month for Jason? :) I wish ActiveSync would be replaced with a SyncML method - cross platform chewiness.

Jason Dunn
03-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Btw, does it seem to be rant month for Jason? :)

No, no - it's "platform growth through tough love" month. :D

(well, this last weekend was especially rant-filled...damn Windows XP!)

tjy
03-12-2003, 10:25 PM
JonnoB, Do you mean Windows Profiles or Outlook Profiles? I vaguely remember profiles in Outlook a long time ago. How do you implement the Outlook Profiles?
tjy

jpaq
03-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Jason,

I couldn't agree with you more.

What also frusterates me is duplicates.
I have my Activesync Inbox, and my POP Inbox that I use when I dial in. they both check the same accounts, so I end up with duplicate messages taking up twice as much memory.

In my opinion, Activesync should sync all E-Mail account settings in addition to the information that you suggested. This way, you only need one folder heirarchy. To check E-Mails, you'd just tell Pocket Outlook to check using your dial-up connection vs. the Activesync connection.

Did any of that make any sense?
:?

organon
03-12-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm moving to a PPCPE soon, and also was wondering if there were a better way to do mail. Two options, both speculative have occurred to me lately. ... 2. How easy is it to set up an IMAP server on your home PC??? Number 2 is really speculative!

There are a couple options for utilizing IMAP. One of course is to set up your own IMAP server at home. I do this using Exchange, but this is a horrible waste of resources if you don't want the rest of what Exchange has to offer; not to mention it is expensive unless you get it for cheap from a former, now defunct former employer like me. Better most likely would be to get a free solution. For windows, the best right now I think is Mercury/32 from David Harris (http://www.pmail.com) (some may remember Pegasus Mail).

The other option would be to use a service like FastMail (http://www.fastmail.fm).

Note that in both of these scenarios, you can consolidate e-mail in one inbox, but you can't send e-mail using the address from which the mail was received (at least not automatically and at least not that I can figure out). This (cool) feature is unique to Outlook.

TheWhiteRabbit
03-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Something I've been playing around with but have yet to complete it is...

Use a DSL/Cable full time static IP connection and set up a VPN into your local net. Then using the VPN client on the PPC, tunnel into your home net and Sync. Your home pc can pick up mail at short intervals and you can sync it up ove whatever connection you can find.

The VPN box is not expensive and a lot of us already have the static IP. All that's left is to figure out the software. Which is what I'm currently figuring out how to do.

Just a theory... not a working solution yet.

Jeff

JonnoB
03-13-2003, 12:15 AM
JonnoB, Do you mean Windows Profiles or Outlook Profiles? I vaguely remember profiles in Outlook a long time ago. How do you implement the Outlook Profiles?
tjy

Outlook profiles. Windows profiles also will allow you to create independant Outlook profiles that are user specific... but that becomes even more tedious.

Outlook profiles allows you to create seperate configurations (message stores, accounts, etc) that are completely different from each other. Right-click on your Outlook icon and bring up the properties, you should be able to create profiles from there. I have profiles for example where I authenticate to an Exchange Server with a tightly coupled message store, another to a different Exchange Server, but delivery to a PST, and yet others that are POP3, HTTP (HotMail) or IMAP based. I can mix and match the services however I want.

John C
03-13-2003, 12:20 AM
The other option would be to use a service like FastMail (http://www.fastmail.fm).

I use FastMail, but have not had much luck using it effectively with my PPC. It seems their implementation of IMAP may be non-standard (or so I've read). You can't delete or move items on the PPC and have that reflected back to the FastMail IMAP store. Has anyone else seen this or even have it working successfully??

John

st63z
03-13-2003, 12:50 AM

Why couldn't you take care of everything with filters (including sent)? Anyways Outlook XP finally (finally) got the "through the specified account" filter in the Rules Wizard, that was a big oversight.

I've done the Outlook profiles too, but it got to be way too tedious, plus ActiveSync kept popping up that annoying dialog box to choose the profile...

AndrewShuttleworth
03-13-2003, 03:06 AM
I'm also an IMAP person. Since using it has revolutionized my e-mail habits. Basically I can access my e-mail using any device (laptop, desktop, mobile phone, Pocket PC, web interface) or client I want, move or delete items and have everything perfectly synched.* Simple and very effective.

One drawback is that it seems to take a bit longer to download mails than when using POP but I can live with that. Also Pocket Inbox does actually delete items rather than marking them as deleted (like Outlook) but the workaround as someone mentioned is using the Move To option. Pocket Inbox is far from perfect but at least I don't have to worry about losing mail or anything when accessing using IMAP.

I believe most ISPs don't offer IMAP access so I was very pleased when my (highly recommended) web host www.pair.com** threw it in to the $5.95/month hosting package and later threw in the web interface at no extra cost. Also means I can use my own 'e-mail address for life' domain name and the server side possibilities are infinite. (Just wish I knew how to make more use of them).

Andrew
* I have to admit I don't have an IMAP client for my mobile phone but I can still read the mail via a web interface using POP.
** Just for the record I have no affiliation with Pair but myself and many friends are very satisfied customers. :D

Ed Hansberry
03-13-2003, 03:14 AM

Why couldn't you take care of everything with filters (including sent)?
Uhm... well..... err.....

I dunno. :oops: I'll mess with the filters tomorrow.

adamz
03-13-2003, 05:25 AM
I was forced to switch to IMAP for email since when Pocket PC 2002 was released, the "improved" inbox no longer allowed you to work with draft emails transfered between Outlook and the Pocket PC. Heck, this is still broken since PPC2002 can't syncronize the Drafts folder on IMAP accounts. But PPC 2002 also destroyed the ability to archive emails sent from a POP3 account by moving them to any folder you want in Outlook. Luckily the IMAP account in PPC2002 does syncronize the Sent messages folder.

I would never want my Pocket PC Inbox folder structure to mirror my Outlook folder structure on the desktop. I don't need all of that on my PDA.

In case you didn't notice... the decision to remove the Windows CE Inbox Transfer functionality was very wrong in my opinion. I sorely miss the ability to manage email messages between Outlook and Pocket PC Inbox the same way you can manage files.

andersw
03-13-2003, 07:03 AM
I'm familiar with them, and at one point was going to do a big promotion with them, but their interface on the Pocket PC needed a lot of work - they were essentially just giving Pocket PC users a WAP interface, which wasn't enough. I tried to give them guidance on improving their interface, but they weren't that interested in listening. :wink: A solution like this might be a good one though!

From what I can see from their trial demo thay have improved the PDA interface.

andersw
03-13-2003, 07:24 AM
I find it interesting that you find the potential for @mail to be so small, when what you are suggesting needs to be done is exactly what Alex and his team at WebIS is looking to do.

From the outset, WebIS has said that these initial relases of @mail are laying the groundwork for a more fully featured client. Having watched the progression of Pocket Informant to its most recent iteration, I have faith that good things will comes from @mail, even if for now it doesn't do everything everyone wants.

Mu .02 is in.....now, backing away from the soapbox...

How long are you willing to wait for something useful?

Itīs really impressing though that the guys over at WebIS have so many loyal @Mail promotors (may I say blind?) just by promising a more fully featured software in the future...

ctmagnus
03-13-2003, 07:31 AM
See, this is where a kill file on these forums would come in handy.

Jason Dunn
03-13-2003, 07:34 AM
I would never want my Pocket PC Inbox folder structure to mirror my Outlook folder structure on the desktop. I don't need all of that on my PDA.

Well, it synchronizes your entire folder structure anyway, even if they're empty, so I'd rather have the option to make full use of that. :wink:

ctmagnus
03-13-2003, 07:38 AM

Well, it synchronizes your entire folder structure anyway, even if they're empty, so I'd rather have the option to make full use of that. :wink:

Unless you work for CP. Their folder structures are HUGE. But then, they probably use Exchange et al.

Andy Sjostrom
03-13-2003, 10:41 AM
My opinion:
rewrite the entire storage structure for all PIM and put it all in SQL Server CE storage engine.

adamz
03-13-2003, 02:16 PM

Inbox syncronization does that, but I keep that completely shut off and just rely on internet pass-through for email when connected to Activesync.. thus only syncing with the IMAP server (which has a different folder structure than my Outlook's offline folders)... and thus bypassing most of the problems with Activesync's inbox syncronization. Of course there's still the times when you do a restore, and IMAP/POP3 accounts start recieving emails into the Activesync folders on PPC Inbox... dispite my Inbox syncing being entirely shut off.

Certainly the option to have multiple accounts mirror the same behavior that users prefer on Outlook would be advantageous... but I think Pocket PC Inbox has bigger fish to fry... like getting the Windows CE Inbox Transfer functionality back, getting all IMAP folders to syncronize email messages, and NOT becoming corrupt upon a device restore!! You know... the things that the old version of Inbox worked perfectly for? Wouldn't that be nice? :)

tjy
03-13-2003, 02:26 PM
JonnoB, I am using Outlook 2000, SR2, I think. If I right click on the Outlook icon and go to properties, it says nothing about profiles. If I search in help, it says to use windows profiles instead. I wonder if they removed outlook profiles with the SR2. Or, maybe I am still doing something wrong. But, I can no longer find a reference to Outlook Profiles.

Ed Hansberry
03-13-2003, 04:53 PM

Why couldn't you take care of everything with filters (including sent)?
Uhm... well..... err.....

I dunno. :oops: I'll mess with the filters tomorrow.
Because, the only option in Outlook XP is to move a copy to a specified folder after being sent. I don't want that. I want ot move it completely. :(

Any other suggestions?

Janak Parekh
03-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Because, the only option in Outlook XP is to move a copy to a specified folder after being sent. I don't want that. I want ot move it completely. :(
Yes, I had the exact same problem as well. I actually like redirecting my Sent Items back into my Inbox, so I can mark a bunch of messages and file them together (i.e., the initial query plus my response), but I can only do this with copies.

My solution, so far, has been to use a different email program. ;)

--janak

Gen-M
03-13-2003, 05:52 PM
The situation where email deleted off the PocketPC is also deleted from Outlook (unless I've missed something) is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE. Until this is addressed I'm not using my PocketPC for email viewing (it's not internet connected other than WiFi at home anyway...)

PJE

I totally agree. Just because I don't want a message taking up space on my PPC does not mean that I want to delete it from my laptop (active stink connection). :evil:

IMAP is not an option for me (I can not trust my IMAP server)

Because of this, I can't use email on PPC except to reference (read only) recent emails and attachments while at a customer site.

I need the option to "delete from PPC but keep in Outlook"

JonnoB
03-13-2003, 05:57 PM
JonnoB, I am using Outlook 2000, SR2, I think. If I right click on the Outlook icon and go to properties, it says nothing about profiles. If I search in help, it says to use windows profiles instead. I wonder if they removed outlook profiles with the SR2. Or, maybe I am still doing something wrong. But, I can no longer find a reference to Outlook Profiles.

You are in OMI mode (Internet only mode) and not corporate workgroup mode. MS did this to 2000. With previous versions and with the new OLXP, there is no distinction between them. Switch modes (go to tools->options) and then you can create multiple Outlook profiles. Don't worry, you can still have multiple email accounts in a single profile, or you can seperate them.

JonnoB
03-13-2003, 05:59 PM

Any other suggestions?

If you move the message completely, you will break Outlook's ability to match up the original message to a failed delivery (NDR) and you won't be able to 'send again'

st63z
03-13-2003, 08:01 PM

Any other suggestions?

:oops: Should've checked first (since I don't filter my sent that way)

Actually I think I remember this WAS the reason why I didn't start doing it long ago, hehe

I"m with Ed, let's petition

Janak Parekh
03-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I"m with Ed, let's petition
Well, let's first see how much the Rules Wizard improves in Outlook 11. :) I don't think they're at a feature-adding stage anymore with the next version of Office...

--janak

tjy
03-16-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks JonnoB, your input has solved my problem.

Jafar
03-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Hey Guys, long time watcher, first time poster :D. For those of you who have their PPC to use IMAP servers, does your email host require you to authenticate before using their SMTP services? And if so? is that a feature built into Pocket Outlook? I'm running an Intermec 6651 that has the HPC 2000 OS (CE 3.0 Core) and don't have any problems connecting to an IMAP server, but the problem is, when I try to reply to an email, it won't go through as I'm not authenticating with the outgoing SMTP server (doesn't look like it's an option).

Soo, I setup an SMTP server at home and used that as my outgoing server, 2nd problem is, AOHELL doesn't accept email from "dial-up lists" as to prevent incoming spam. Therefore I can't email anyone that's on the AOL network using my home SMTP server (1/2 of my customers).

Am I missing something here in Pocket Outlook? or does PocketPc 2002 have ESMTP authentication built into it. Thanks.

Jafar
0X

Janak Parekh
03-20-2003, 10:16 PM
For those of you who have their PPC to use IMAP servers, does your email host require you to authenticate before using their SMTP services? And if so? is that a feature built into Pocket Outlook? I'm running an Intermec 6651 that has the HPC 2000 OS (CE 3.0 Core) and don't have any problems connecting to an IMAP server, but the problem is, when I try to reply to an email, it won't go through as I'm not authenticating with the outgoing SMTP server (doesn't look like it's an option).
Hmmm. Pocket Outlook does definitely support SMTP AUTH, but I have not tested it with anything but an Exchange server. There's an option for it, I believe. You might want to try some Google Groups searches on SMTP AUTH and see what the scoop is. Make sure you don't supply a domain name, otherwise it'll try NTLM-encrypted authentication.

--janak

Jason Lee
03-20-2003, 11:05 PM
My SMTP server requires authentication. Before it was restricted by IP, meaning that I had to dial up to the university before I could send mail. Now it is set to validate from our domain accounts, which means I can send email through the server from any connection.... Including pocket inbox connected through sprint.
The option is on the first page of the advanced options in the account setup right under check for new mail every so many minutes.
I believe your SMTP server will have to authenticate with the same information as your IMAP server since there is no place to enter seperate user ID and password.

st63z
03-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Long as this thread's back up...

Any other suggestions?

Maybe you can try turning off the "Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder" option and just creating a separate outgoing rule in the Rules Wizard for each email acct to file a copy in their appropriate sent folder? Though just to warn you I've read complaints that this hasn't been 100% reliable for some people.

I've had to toy with this for a related problem recently as I'm switching over fully to IMAP access (which Outlook, even v2002, basically sucks at, but I can't switch).

Or you can look at add-ins such as from http://www.ivasoft.biz/index.html (though none might be appropriate for you)...

Jafar
03-22-2003, 12:18 PM
I believe your SMTP server will have to authenticate with the same information as your IMAP server since there is no place to enter seperate user ID and password.

Welp, I guess the HPC 2000 OS didn't come with that as there is no check box for SMTP auth anywhere. I tested this out using my home email server and checked out the smtp logs, no sign of any smtp auth commands. Gah, now I gotta find an email software that will

a) Work with an HPC 2000
b) Work with a MIPS HPC 2000 :D
c) Can do SMTP Auth
d) Be faster than Pocket Outlook (god it's painfully slow with IMAP).

If any of you can think of an email client that does all this, please PM me or heck, post it for all to see. Thank you PPC users for helping a fellow HPC user.

Jafar

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 07:26 PM
d) Be faster than Pocket Outlook (god it's painfully slow with IMAP).
This is absolutely true. I'm hoping @mail develops its own IMAP implementation eventually, with SSL support (right now I'm using an stunnel hack).

--janak

Jafar
03-22-2003, 09:57 PM
IMAP Force is lightning fast with their IMAP protocol, but again, no outgoing smtp authentication. I guess my only choice is to do the following for the time being.

1) Setup my home email server to relay email sent from this machine to my Webhost/email hosts SMTP server (to get around this stupid AOL blocking crap)
2) My Webhost/email host SMTP server will then send the email out to the intended receiver

The wait continues

Jafar

Unreal32
03-31-2003, 05:02 PM
I need the option to "delete from PPC but keep in Outlook"

That would be awesome if it existed... but then how would you know which emails you kept and which you didn't?

As a chinese philosopher (I don't think Confucius had watches) once said... "A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure." :)