View Full Version : Windows Media Player

w6u6f
03-11-2003, 04:00 PM
My Windows Media Player for my Pocket PC has been pissing me off lately. For some reason every once and a while, it refuses to play the whole mp3. It will play 15 seconds or so and then skip to the next song. Then I go back and try to play the song again and it plays the whole thing! Is this a bug? Is there any other mp3 software I can get?
Thanks

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 04:35 PM
WMP is not really a good player for MP3 playing. You should consider PocketMVP (www.pocketmvp.com), WinamPAQ, PocketMusic, or GSPlayer (do a search on this forum for these) -- all of these are free and handle MP3s better than WMP.

--janak

trachy
03-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know how to uninstall WMP, besides manually deleting everything and tweaking the registry? It came pre-loaded on my iPAQ, and it (along with all of the other MS products) doesn't even show up on the Add/Remove menu.

It'd be a shame to load a new media player and have WMP taking up space better served.

- Drew

Eitel
03-11-2003, 07:10 PM
WMP is in ROM. You can't remove it and you can't use that space for anything else. The best you can do is to remove the shortcut and use something else.

Pony99CA
03-12-2003, 12:26 AM
WMP is in ROM. You can't remove it and you can't use that space for anything else. The best you can do is to remove the shortcut and use something else.
That depends on a couple of factors, actually. First, Trachy didn't mention what iPAQ he has. Older iPAQs upgraded to Pocket PC 2002 and, I think, the 1910 have Windows Media Player installed in RAM, and those can be removed, I'd think.

Second, if any maintenance releases of the Media Player were installed, those would also be in RAM.

However, if nothing is in the Remove Programs settings applet, it probably is in ROM, and, as you said, can't be uninstalled. However, besides shortcuts, Trachy could also remove the \Program Files\Windows Media Player folder. That would remove any skins, too.

Steve

Eitel
03-12-2003, 01:35 AM
That depends on a couple of factors, actually. First, Trachy didn't mention what iPAQ he has.

Well, Trachy did mention that it came pre-loaded and that it didn't showed on Add/Remove programs. :)

jd4science
03-12-2003, 03:09 AM
How can I make a link to a program (like in the start menu.) if it doesn't show up on the list of choices? I am trying to get winamPAQ on my start menu, but can't. :(

spursdude
03-12-2003, 03:10 AM
How can I make a link to a program (like in the start menu.) if it doesn't show up on the list of choices? I am trying to get winamPAQ on my start menu, but can't. :(

Using File Explorer, browse to winamPAQ, tap and hold and hit copy, then navigate over to My Device>Windows>Start Menu and tap and hold in a blank space, and hit Paste Shortcut. Just don't have too many icons, or else your start menu will be too long.

Pony99CA
03-12-2003, 07:11 AM
That depends on a couple of factors, actually. First, Trachy didn't mention what iPAQ he has.
Well, Trachy did mention that it came pre-loaded and that it didn't showed on Add/Remove programs. :)
Which is why I said, "However, if nothing is in the Remove Programs settings applet, it probably is in ROM, and, as you said, can't be uninstalled."

The main point was that Windows Media Player sometimes can be uninstalled and has additional things that can be uninstalled even if the player is in ROM.

Steve

trachy
03-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Um.... it's an iPAQ H3835.... :oops: