View Full Version : connecting the iPAQ to the net

ztariqz
03-11-2003, 04:08 AM
i just got myself an ipaq 3970 and i was wonderin how can i get it to connect to the net?

i have a nokia 7650 which has built in bluetooth.. and im on vodafone.. i tried using the same numbers as the wap in my fone.. it worked somehow it was very slow and msn messenger couldnt connect at all...

i heard that its better to connect by GPRS .. how can i do that? and what is the 'dial up' number for GPRS?

freitasm
03-11-2003, 05:29 AM
i just got myself an ipaq 3970 and i was wonderin how can i get it to connect to the net?

i have a nokia 7650 which has built in bluetooth.. and im on vodafone.. i tried using the same numbers as the wap in my fone.. it worked somehow it was very slow and msn messenger couldnt connect at all...

i heard that its better to connect by GPRS .. how can i do that? and what is the 'dial up' number for GPRS?

The WAP dialup does not allow IP applications... You do have to use GPRS or a dialup account with a normal ISP. In the second case your bill is running by the minute.

GPRS is the way to go, or CDMA if you have it in your area.

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 05:31 AM
If he has a 7650, he's in Europe, which means that he probably doesn't have CDMA. :)

ztariqz, to do a GPRS connection you usually have to dial a special phone specific number that tells it to establish a GPRS connection. On the SE T68 series it's a long string that starts with a #99, IIRC.

--janak

freitasm
03-11-2003, 05:33 AM
If he has a 7650, he's in Europe, which means that he probably doesn't have CDMA. :)

ztariqz, to do a GPRS connection you usually have to dial a special phone specific number that tells it to establish a GPRS connection. On the SE T68 series it's a long string that starts with a #99, IIRC.

--janak

There's CDMA in Europe - even here in New Zealand :-)

For the GPRS connection you use the string *99# or *99*<number># where the number is the APN defined. Some telcos put the GPRS in the first set, so *99# should do just fine.

Make sure you configure your PPC to dial only the local number, not the international code + area code, andmake sure you have GPRS enabled in your account.

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 05:35 AM
There's CDMA in Europe - even here in New Zealand :-)
Well..... the CDMA in Europe is 3G UMTS, which the 7650 doesn't support and which isn't broad. But point taken. ;)

--janak

ztariqz
03-11-2003, 12:42 PM
thanx guys that helped alot!

apparently it is *99# i just double checked with vodafone themselves and they gave me all the info i need..

another thing... correct me if im wrong.. for GPRS ur usually charged for kilbytes downloaded and not the number of minutes right?

well i could understand how that works when surfin the web or downloading emails...

but wat about usin messenger and stuff? i mean if im just usin messenger ntohin else.. how would they charge me?

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 04:49 PM
but wat about usin messenger and stuff? i mean if im just usin messenger ntohin else.. how would they charge me?
Just by bytes. That's what makes it so great. You could be online for 2 hours and not use up any of your GPRS quota. MSNM is pretty bandwidth-efficient, too, since you're only exchanging text messages. Your real problem in using MSNM for long periods of time is that the Pocket PC's battery will usually die long before you run out of quota.

--janak

ztariqz
03-11-2003, 11:15 PM
so basically ur sayin if im connected usin GPRS and im usin messenger ONLY .. then i dont get charged a thing? so im not 'downloadin' anythin? so i could be like on for 1 hr without bein charged a thing?

freitasm
03-11-2003, 11:18 PM
so basically ur sayin if im connected usin GPRS and im usin messenger ONLY .. then i dont get charged a thing? so im not 'downloadin' anythin? so i could be like on for 1 hr without bein charged a thing?

Messenger/ICQ and others use the network so send keep-alive signals, presence indication, current status, etc... This IP traffic is counted, and charged.

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 11:49 PM
OK, I was being simplistic in my previous post. To be more precise, MSNM will eat bandwidth, but if you're not chatting, it will do so very, very slowly (i.e., close to zero), and per-byte is superior to per-minute. If you're chatting, it'll use bandwidth a bit faster. Either way, it should be less than email or websurfing.

You should consider getting GPRS monitor (http://www.softspb.com/products/gprsmonitor/) to watch your utilization. It's a great program for the purpose.

--janak