View Full Version : Jornada unreliable?

Weyoun6
03-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I have now had a Jornada for over a year. Technically, since actually it is my 3rd model, since the last 2 were sent back due to them locking up. My current 568 is starting to do the same things. Locking up, losing data randomly, etc... My Question is - Is this normal?

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Definitely not - I've had the same Jornada for months. The dust problem is noticeable, but it doesn't lock up or lose data.

Sven Johannsen
03-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I second the ...

Definitely not - I've had the same Jornada for months. The dust problem is noticeable, but it doesn't lock up or lose data.

Had two 568s for well over a year now. No lock up problems not attributable to flaky software that didn't come with it. Had 458s and a 545 before that.

sesummers
03-10-2003, 10:38 PM
I sent back the first two because of dust problems, which they replaced each time with referbished ones. The third one I've had for less than a year, with very minor dust issues. But about a month ago, the digitizer started going bad. Near the bottom (where the menu is!) it "humps"- for example, if you try to draw a line across the bottom of the SIP panel when in block recognizer mode, it looks like a 'bell curve". After a few weeks, it got so bad that it's now impossible to tap on the menu options, making the thing unusable.

I just called HP, and they told me that since it's out of warrenty, it will cost me $200 to swap it for another referbished unit. So I can get a used model of dubious quality for $200, or I can get a new Dell with a better screen and a faster processor for $300? What kind of deal is that? They also gave me a code for 10% off a new one.

What a rip. Anyone know someplace I can send mine to just have the digitizer fixed for a lot less than $200?

Weyoun6
03-11-2003, 02:36 AM
I haven't had a real problem with the dust. I havent installed any really dubious programs, and my most recent pda has been in a case and hasnt been dropped. My jornada is out of warrenty, otherwise I would send it back. I guess I will keep using it until it dies, hopfully not for awhile. I suppose I should hardreset, but I from past experience, it just delays the problems.

D.psi
03-15-2003, 07:43 PM
I've had an ongoing problem with my Jornada 548 locking up. My wife (identical model) has had this occur once.

The first time it happened, I had tried everything to bring it back to life (use buttons, tap screen, soft/hard reset, charging, synching etc...), however nothing worked. Symptoms included charging light showing charging (can't remember if it eventually showed full charge or not).

I brought it back to my vendor while it was still under warranty (about three weeks had expired); they plugged it in, and it rebooted fine. All data had been lost. I'm guessing the battery had drained by this point. The techie had this know-it-all look at this point, but hey I had tried what he did, and then some. Of course, no action was taken to resolve the actual problem. :evil:

I have since found that if it does lock up, I can crack it open, disconnect the battery, and reconnect it, and everything is fine. Well sorta, you lose your data but the Jornada comes back to life again. This may not be an appropriate solution for the technologically squeamish, but that's the only solution that I have found to bring my 548 back to life. It's starting to occur more frequently now, so we're considering a platform upgrade :wink: ... As soon as we find the perfect replacement. :lol:

Sorry about the long story.

D.psi

Kati Compton
03-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Could this be due to some software that has been installed?

mc_03
03-15-2003, 09:23 PM
My Jornada is incredibly reliable; the only problem I have is dust. My iPaq on the other hand... :roll:

Weyoun6
03-16-2003, 02:21 AM
Could this be due to some software that has been installed?

I don't really think so, since this has happened more than once, with diffrent software installed. I dont have any really weird software on there either.

Wasp
03-16-2003, 07:40 AM
I also own an HP 568 and probably have around 40 software programs (though not many games). I used to have problems with the machine really slowing down and I was forced to reboot. I have since discovered that a game that I was running was rude and kept flashing that I won. The problem was that when I switched to another program, that game continued to grab the IO. When I closed the game, the problem went away. You might want to check what programs are running and document when you have problems. You also might have some rude software 8)

sesummers
03-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Back when I had a Palm, the reset button hole was so small you needed a pin to reset it. When I got my first Pocket PC (Casiopia e100), I noticed that it was a good thing that the reset hole was big enough to reset with the stylus, because I had to do it a lot more. Since then, I've realized that Pocket PC's perform much better if you reset them pretty regularly- kind of like Windows '95/98.

Weyoun6
03-16-2003, 06:50 PM
This problem is not because I am running too many programs or that I don't soft reset enough. It is a hardware problem, or possibly a software incompatibility (though that is unlikely).

D.psi
03-20-2003, 01:33 AM
As far as it being software related... I doubt it. I've had a variety of software on my 548, and have had it occur. It has occurred while I had the base s/w install (i.e. just PocketPC 2000), and at other times when I've had more software installed.

The bulk of my "extra" software is M$, though I do have a few 3rd party items. Again getting back to my statistical sample of two, my wife has the same software set, and has only experienced this issue once (or maybe twice), whereas with me its a more recurring issue.

The odd part is though, that my wife tends to leave more applications running than I do. And I believe that she also resets less frequently than I do, though I can't swear to this last fact.

Could this be a hardware problem caused by one too many bumps? Maybe. Could it be software? Maybe. What's my opinion as a "software engineer" of embedded systems? I'm leaning to a hardware problem, or an extremely tight loop with disabled interrupts, as the only thing that releases my jornada is complete power loss (hard and soft resets are ignored).

My $0.02. :soapbox:

D.psi

Weyoun6
03-28-2003, 07:31 PM
In the continuing saga... As of right now, my ppc is unusable.

When I move it shake it or even just touch it, it resets itself, going a loop of forced resets until it hard reset it self. Now it wont work, just either going into reset mode, or just not responding at all. ACCK. The thing is falling apart (I Have not been treating it harshly, kept it in the case all the time, hasn't been dropped, etc..) but the screws are coming out! It is out of warrenty.

My dilemma right now... repair/replace this outdated device through HP Tech support costing an unknown amount of cash, or buy an new device, with all the accessories that that entails. I really don't have the money for either, but would like your opinions.

D.psi
03-28-2003, 09:06 PM
weyoun6,

Have you ever cracked your Jornada open? I'm just guessing that at this point you have little to lose (i.e. the warranty has already expired anyhow). Why not crack it open, blow out the dust, remove and reseat all the available components, and reseat any connectors that you are see.

If you choose to do this, and have no previous experience, I recommend that you touch an exposed metal part, prior to starting to reseat the connectors (poor attempt to ground yourself w.r.t. the device).

It may be that all you are dealing with is a poor contact in one of the subassemblies.

D.psi

Steven Cedrone
03-28-2003, 09:27 PM

When I move it shake it or even just touch it, it resets itself, going a loop of forced resets until it hard reset it self. Now it wont work, just either going into reset mode, or just not responding at all. ACCK. The thing is falling apart (I Have not been treating it harshly, kept it in the case all the time, hasn't been dropped, etc..) but the screws are coming out! It is out of warrenty.

My dilemma right now... repair/replace this outdated device through HP Tech support costing an unknown amount of cash, or buy an new device, with all the accessories that that entails. I really don't have the money for either, but would like your opinions.

The other thing you could do is to contact Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/). Maybe they could take a look at it for you...

Just a thought...

Steve

sesummers
03-28-2003, 09:36 PM
My dilemma right now... repair/replace this outdated device through HP Tech support costing an unknown amount of cash, or buy an new device, with all the accessories that that entails.

I called them to see about getting my digitizer fixed. They told me my only option for ANY repair problems on Jornada 56x's was to swap it for a refurbished replacement unit. The price for a REFURBISHED 568? $200- PLUS my broken one as a tradein.

I bought a low-end Axim. With the rebate, it was basically the same price as the refurbished Jornada. But it's new, it has a VASTLY better display, it's faster, and it has an SD slot. I filled that with a 128M card from CompUSA ($33 after rebate) which makes up for the reduction from 64 to 32M of RAM.

Weyoun6
03-28-2003, 11:54 PM
PPC Techs does repairs? didnt know that...

If it costs more to replace my jornada then buy an axim, then I may have to turn to the dark side...

Sorry if I sound disjointed, loss of "Mycroft" is disturbing..

Steven Cedrone
03-29-2003, 02:24 AM
PPC Techs does repairs?

Yes they do. Mind you, they may not repair problems like yours. But like I said, give 'em a call (can't hurt)...

Steve

mc_03
03-31-2003, 11:42 PM
PPC Techs repairs iPaqs, but I think that is it. On their website their is an option of sending an iPaq in for repair, but none for Jornadas.

Weyoun6
03-31-2003, 11:45 PM
followed D.psi's advice. seems to be working a little better now. no looping resets, but I dont think it is going to last much longer.

Steven Cedrone
04-01-2003, 12:13 AM
PPC Techs repairs iPaqs, but I think that is it. On their website their is an option of sending an iPaq in for repair, but none for Jornadas.

On their web site, go to repairs, in-house, HP...

Steve

D.psi
04-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Glad the reseating worked. How dirty were the innards when you cracked it open?

D.psi

Weyoun6
04-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Got an email from PPCTechs -

We do not have parts for the 560 series, so I doubt we would be of any help.

Guess that answers it...

Steven Cedrone
04-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Guess that answers it...

Hmmm... I guess it does...

Steve

Weyoun6
04-01-2003, 08:06 PM
My device wasn't really that dirty inside, but some dust came out. However, the screws are not staying in their sockets, so more dust may be coming in.

shekondar
04-01-2003, 10:20 PM
When I move it shake it or even just touch it, it resets itself, going a loop of forced resets until it hard reset it self.

I had a problem with my 568 resetting itself periodically - I think the battery was a little loose. You might check your battery to make sure it still fits tightly and that the contacts are clean.

The only other problem I've had is with the @*$&# cradle... if I don't hold my Jornada just right it won't sync (it only works about 10% of the time), and it usually disconnects by itself after about five minutes! :bad-words:

kingraf01
04-01-2003, 11:33 PM
I've had mine for almost 3 years now 8O worked fine up until last year when I moved to NM from Cali. Lot of static in my house caused my Jornada to freeze if I didn't ground myself. :devilboy: Only way to unfreeze was a hard re-set, sent it back came back the same, no changes. Another year went by and it was fine as long as I ground myself first. Then a few months ago it just froze and even a hard reset didn't save it. Have a warranty w/ Circuit City but they send it elsewhere to get fixed. Sent it back HOPING they would just replace with a current one, but noooooo... :? They refurbished it and it has only froze once since. Although it came back without the cover and the 128 compctflash card I forgot to take out. Oh well still works, it's my MP3 player for the gym and still my only organizer. Got my moneys worth and will upgrade to the newest HP whenever it finally does die.

rocky_raher
06-06-2003, 07:04 PM
When I first got my 568, the extended battery pack was so loose it almost rattled. I put double-stick tape between it and the PPC, and had noticeably fewer hangups and random resets. Unfortunately, after a few months, I tried to change the battery pack. The tape adhesive had set so much, it was a major effort to remove the battery. Thus, I now advise against double-sided tape. I started using the regular battery. Random hangups and resets became very common. This time, I put regular Scotch tape on the outside, along the sides and top of the battery. It looks as if I've tried to make the unit airtight. [Note: I've never had dust problems.] The tape keeps the battery pack from wiggling, and I have had no problems with hangups and resets since.