View Full Version : WiFi Range query from a beginner

smbruce
03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
I have had for a while a small home network - 2 destop PCs linked by two Linksys WUSB11 Wireless USB Network Adapters. This works fine.

I've recently bought a Linksys WCF12 for my Axim and hoped I could use the Axim around the home, checking e-mails, checking websites etc.
Having read various posts on encryption (and being one of those whose SSID was still "linksys" and whose encryption was disabled) I set-up 128 bits encryption and though the network works OK if I'm within 8 to 10 feet or so (with no walls between), it all goes pear-shaped if I move to a different room which (for me) rather defeats the object of WiFi. (When ActiveSynching via WiFi I can't get beyond being a Guest either, but that's a different story.)

When I go to the Linksys CF Card Monitor program on my Axim, the Link tab has bands for Link Quality and Signal Strength - but these both read "Not Applicable"?

Can anyone please give (or point me to) any advice on whether altering any settings should give me a better range, or have I just picked the wrong CF card?

Thanks.

Steve :?

Johnny Blaze
03-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Due to the not applicable for link quality it seems you are set on your ppc to connect in Ad Hoc mode.

As far as range. You do sacrifice some range for security but it shouldnt be as much as what you are getting.

I use Netgear MR814 router and Netgear MA701 wifi CF and its advertised range is 500'. With no wep I get around 450' at 2 mbps and 300' @ 10mbps. With wep enabled my range drops from 100 to 150' depending on where I am in my house or property.

The Low range you are getting is probably also tied in to the fact that you arent using a router. My connection range was way lower when I was using ad hoc mode with a usb wifi and my ppc. Id recommend adding a wifi router in there and going infrastructure mode when you do. BTW the router I use is pretty good and can be had at Best buy for $99.

phanprod
03-14-2003, 08:47 PM
I'd have to totally agree with Johnny Blaze - infrastructure is the way to go. I work in a theatre - I've got an access point set up at the sound board, which is way up in the back. Wherever I go backstage (well over 300 feet) and even under the stage, I've got fine coverage. Convienently enough, I lose the signal as soon as I leave the building - it just can't go through the concrete walls. That's definately a plus - it lessens out fear of security issues. Funny enough, though - On an XP laptop, I can actually connect to at least two other wifi net's in the local area (we're in a business park), but they can't see us. Go figure.