View Full Version : Active Syn Problem

Psssssssssst
03-10-2003, 04:06 AM
Geesh,

This Active Sync is driving me crazy. Have Toshiba e330. It locked and I had to do hard reset. After hard reset I restored the data from a backup I had made earlier in the day.

When I cradled the PPC it would not connect. Did another hard reset but no backup and found it would connect.

Need help in figuring out what has happened that I can't use the active sync after retoring from a backup.

jimski
03-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Can't help you with your specific problem (I have restored and synced several times with my iPAQ) but I will agree that Active Sync is the PPC platforms weakest link.

As a Palm convert I often miss those simpler Hot Sync days. Specifically because of Active Sync (and nothing else) I will not recommend a PPC to anyone I know who either does not have the aptitude or patience to deal with it.

IMHO, Active Sync is the last thing to keep droves of Palm users from converting to the PPC platform. If I knew nine months ago what I know today (lost data, hard resets, lockups) I may have never made the switch. The only time I ever performed a hard reset on a Palm was to sell it. Now, with my iPAQ, every two to three weeks seems to be pretty normal!?!?!?

Psssssssssst
03-10-2003, 11:38 AM
If I would have known the problems with AC, as you have stated I most likely would have stayed with a Palm device.

But the extra utility, picture viewing, voice recording of notes, mp3 player were just too useful to resist. Also the price of the e330 was much less than any comparable Palm device.

Guess I just have to learn to live with the AC problems and hope that MS will get it together during my lifetime.

Psssssssssst

PetiteFlower
03-10-2003, 07:00 PM
There must have been something installed on your PPC prior to the backup that was causing the problem. Probably whatever caused it to lock up in the first place. Hopefully you had a second backup of your documents and PIM data only and you can just reinstall your programs one at a time until you figure out which one was causing the problem.

Psssssssssst
03-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Did hard reset. Then added programs back one at a time.

Deleted my old partnership only after copying the My Documents to my desktop on the PC.

Then set up a new partnership and did a Hot Sync to get my Outlook stuff on the PPC. Fortunately I had not made any changes to my calendar or contacts since my last Sync.

Finally I copied the files in My Documents to the new folder created by the new partnership. Did a sync and got them over to the PPC. Next I copied the other directories with document and files into the new partnership. Did another sync and all seems to be fine.

Finally I erased the backup file on the SD disk and did a new backup. All seems to be working well. Not problem with syncs at this time.

Thanks all for your help

Psssssssssst

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
03-11-2003, 09:33 AM
I haven't really tested, but I think the toshiba backup utility doesn't restore activesync partnerships. Activesync backups do, though.

Psssssssssst
03-11-2003, 11:04 AM
I use is from Microsoft and part of the operating system on the unit. Have had to hard reset more than a few times in the past due to unit lockup and have always had success at restore and then being able to hot sync.

Don't know what happened this time but it just would not AS. AS would not show the unit as being connected.

Psssssssssst