View Full Version : Unresolved Email Items

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Tell me how much sense this makes: I've set up my Dell to synchronize only my Outlook Inbox folder, nothing else. Inside that folder, there are no email messages...yet ActiveSync is still reporting that there are six unresolved Inbox items. On the Pocket PC itself, I manually searched through every single folder on the device, both in the ActiveSync directory tree structure and the POP3 account I have configured. There is no email on the device in any folder. There is no email in Outlook in any of the flagged folders. So where are the six unresolved items coming from then? <sigh>

pocketpcdude1024
03-10-2003, 11:05 PM
I usually get them in the "Files" catagory, and no amount of prodding will get the item to be un-resolved. Worse yet, when I remove all items for syncronization on the device AND the My Documents folder on my computer, the message still says "1 unresolved item" :x and shows that yellow sync logo instead of the purdy green one that means "Syncronized"

Cortex
03-10-2003, 11:05 PM
a few days ago Money decided that it had unresolved issues....

it synchronizes and then ActiveSync is happy for about 1 second before it reports that there is 1 unresolved issue, resynchronizes and the whole thing starts all over again.

i was so sick of seeing the little green spinning "synchronizing" icon on the task bar i changed it to manual sync. this was after i tried everything i could think of to pacify Money.

when are they just going to make pockepc's with XP built in? 8O

pocketpcdude1024
03-10-2003, 11:07 PM
when are they just going to make pockepc's with XP built in? 8O

Actually, I would prefer to use an operating system optimized for handheld use as opposed to desktop use if the device is in my hand. (I'm still waiting :wink: )

Cortex
03-10-2003, 11:11 PM
with 6gb compact flash cards coming out they should kill the pocketpc and make a minitablet with the tablet OS.

(could i get more off topic with this thread ;)

MPSmith
03-10-2003, 11:12 PM
I've had a unresolved item in Contacts for months now. I'm yet to get it "resolved", but only because I haven't bothered to implement the answer I got from the good people at PPCThoughts via this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8786&highlight=outlook+deleted).

Jason Lee
03-10-2003, 11:13 PM
$#&@! activestink! I sync with my home and office computers so i get this aaaallll the time. The big problem for me is if i get the "unresolved" message at work the next time i sync at home i get "combind or replace"!!! :x :evil:
Which means all data that i changed during the day is lost! all gone.. and then it creates nice duplicates for random entries in my contacts list just incase i wanted 2 of every third person in my list.
Also every time i go to class and take notes i come back to my office and sync it syncs my new notes over then after a second says there is still one file not synced. When it syncs that one it deletes if from my PC. It is on the PPC and not on the PC and activestink thinks that everything is synced correctly! AAARRGG!!!
there is soooo much more.....

.... i don't like activesync... :( :cry: :evil: :!:

burtman007
03-10-2003, 11:23 PM
I was having sync problems when using WinXP. Found a simple fix.

For those of you synching files, uncheck that stupid "Thumbs.db" file. Activesync doesn't know what to do with it (I have an idea on where it can shove it... :twisted: ).

P.S. You probably have to change your folder view options in explorer to show all files, including hidden system files to see that bastage.

Underwater Mike
03-10-2003, 11:25 PM
This happens to me several times per week, usually in Inbox. I've tried deleting and reestablishing partnerships, etc., but no luck. The only thing that sometimes helps in my case is to choose Settings for the Inbox conduit, not change a thing, then click okay. ActiveStink then re-syncs the entire Outlook hierarchy, often getting rid of the unresolved item(s).

Don't ask me why. :?

cparekh
03-10-2003, 11:33 PM
To fix this, I right click on the Inbox in the ActiveSync window. It gives me an option for setting. I click on that. Go into setting, don't change anything, hit ok. It re-syncs and that seems ti fix the problem for a while.

No idea why this works, but is seems to do so.

Charlie

freitasm
03-10-2003, 11:36 PM
$#&@! activestink! I sync with my home and office computers so i get this aaaallll the time. The big problem for me is if i get the "unresolved" message at work the next time i sync at home i get "combind or replace"!!! :x :evil:
Which means all data that i changed during the day is lost! all gone.. and then it creates nice duplicates for random entries in my contacts list just incase i wanted 2 of every third person in my list.
Also every time i go to class and take notes i come back to my office and sync it syncs my new notes over then after a second says there is still one file not synced. When it syncs that one it deletes if from my PC. It is on the PPC and not on the PC and activestink thinks that everything is synced correctly! AAARRGG!!!
there is soooo much more.....

.... i don't like activesync... :( :cry: :evil: :!:

I used a Palm OS device for years (yes, Palm Pilot, Palm 1000, Palm Professional, Palm III, Palm V, Handspring Visor Prism, Palm m130) and I have to say that their Hotsync software is the best thing in the world.

It syncs quickly, resolves item in a transparent way, never caused me grief, a Hotsync action IS A BACKUP.

To restore the device just put it there, and if it is empty it'll ask if you want to restore from any profile in the machine. And it'll restore EVERYTHING, including programs, databases, configuration.

That's one of the few things I miss in the PPC world...

Please don't start a OS war! This comment is just a note to say what would be my highest rank expectation regarding ActiveSync.

Bob Anderson
03-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I kinda have to laugh as I read the sheer agony that we all face with activestink... even Jason! (Sorry Jason, I'm not laughing at you, rather I'm laughing at the predicament you have...)

And it just reminds me of that post, a while back, talking about the fact that Bill Gates doesn't use a PocketPC. The jist of the story was that he had an assistant that took care of all that kind of stuff.

Hmmmm... Well, I guess we should take our hints from a very enlightened and successful person -- if it worked as good as it is touted to work, it would be a no brainer... he'd be using it! (We know from the anti-trust case that he did use e-mail - presumably Outlook.) Trouble is the PPC/Activestink is to erratic and not stable enough for regular use and Bill doesn't have time to deal with it :(

I love my Pocket PC, and it does so much for me, but the aggravation of activestink is the single biggest problem I have with it. Not battery life, not landscape mode, not higher resolution screens, not built in 802.11 or bluetooth... Just make the thing work as an extension of my desktop; with no additional frustrations.. or at some point I'm going to decide the value added by having the device isn't worth the hours of productivity I lose trying to make things work the way they are supposed to!

bridgecrosser
03-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I get it with my iPAQ 5450 in ther FILES category. After a thorough search, I did a hard rest and THAT fixed it! :wink:

GregWard
03-10-2003, 11:40 PM
I get it with attachments sometimes. ActiveSync says it can't handle an attachment (never bothers telling me which one!) and then goes into an endless loop of "resolve items" -> "unresolved" etc. The only solution seems to be to turn off syncing for the Inbox completely (or stop attachments). Leave it for a couple of days and then turn it back on again.

No idea why this works! It's nothing to do with rebooting the PC or the PPC - tried both of those - no joy. Neither is it because the problem item has become older than the sync limit I've set - I am talking a few days and I have the time limit on 30 days.

As it happened this is a timely post as I had a problem this morning! :evil:

Jason Lee
03-10-2003, 11:40 PM
I used a Palm OS device for years (yes, Palm Pilot, Palm 1000, Palm Professional, Palm III, Palm V, Handspring Visor Prism, Palm m130) and I have to say that their Hotsync software is the best thing in the world.

It syncs quickly, resolves item in a transparent way, never caused me grief, a Hotsync action IS A BACKUP.

To restore the device just put it there, and if it is empty it'll ask if you want to restore from any profile in the machine. And it'll restore EVERYTHING, including programs, databases, configuration.

Please don't start a OS war! This comment is just a note to say what would be my highest rank expectation regarding ActiveSync.

I completely agree with you. I have a friend that has always used palms for a long time. I was sick when i watched him upgrade from his 5x to a new treo. Plug, sync, done... all data all programs.. just not fair.. ;)

pocketpcdude1024
03-10-2003, 11:41 PM

I agree with you totally. When I bought my Pocket PC, I was "spoiled" by the elegance and simplicity of HotSync, and naturally expected the same for my Pocket PC. It requires a LOT more "fiddling" to get it wo work just right and the first time I had to do a hard reset, I knew that I was in for a headache in trying to restore my data. To HotSync! :beer:

Noghri_ViR
03-10-2003, 11:56 PM
The problem I have with mine is that it will tell me that there are # of unread messages. Yet I've read them already

dh
03-11-2003, 12:12 AM

I agree with you totally. When I bought my Pocket PC, I was "spoiled" by the elegance and simplicity of HotSync, and naturally expected the same for my Pocket PC. It requires a LOT more "fiddling" to get it wo work just right and the first time I had to do a hard reset, I knew that I was in for a headache in trying to restore my data. To HotSync! :beer:

Have to agree, HotSync works great, especially when using Outlook and synching with Pocket Mirror. I used to synch an Act database using Intellesync and it would take half an hour.

One thing I have not done is attempted to synchronise my Inbox in Outbook and all the different folders I have set up. I know that ActiveSynch can do this on the PPC although I read that some people (a certain Mr Dunn if I remember rightly) have a lot of trouble with it.

PRRISE
03-11-2003, 12:26 AM
This drives me crazy. I have 4 un-resolved emails as well. No matter what I do I can not find or fix these "missing" emails. Can't Microsoft figure this out? And oh no, not another Activesync update... :?[/img]

Noghri_ViR
03-11-2003, 12:30 AM
What I REALLY REALLY HATE about activesync is that it keeps outlook open when I have my PDA in the cradle. Normally I wouldn't mind but when your playing games online and then suddenly ever 2 minutes you get lagged, it really sucks

Kirkaiya
03-11-2003, 01:22 AM
The only place I generally get "Unresolved Items" is in my Inbox (that's the only folder I have set up to sync also).

The interesting thing is that i've noticed when (for me) it happens: it happens if I get a new (or delete an old) email on my desktop Outlook while the sync is happening, but one of my "rules" moves it to the deleted items folder.

So - what happens is this:

(1) ActiveStink runs does it's "checking" mode (where it looks for differences, and tallies them up for you)
(2) After it's already compared the inboxes, but before the actual "Sync" process has occurred, a spam-mail comes into my inbox
(3) I have "rules" defined in Outlook (junk-senders list, etc - even if you have ever right-clicked and selected "add to Junk Senders", then you have a rule also). My rule quickly moves the item to the deleted folder
(4) Meanwhile, ActiveSync is in the process of synchronizing my stuff...

So for me, my unresolved items have something to do with the fact that ActiveSync knows a new item came in, but then it's not there (or something?)

To fix it, i've done what other people do (Right-click active-sync inbox on the desktop, choose "settings", and click "Ok"). A couple of times I've had to go into my PPC PocketOutlook, and found that the Spam was already in there, but it's not in my desktop inbox (because the rule deleted it), so then I just delete the copy in the PPC, and that fixes it.

Sometimes.. it just stays unresolved for a few days, then mysteriously goes away... just like all my ex-girlfriends, ha ha ha

TheBacklash
03-11-2003, 01:27 AM
the above is exactly what I was going to say... I read the front page and was prepared to say the very same thing. :lol:

I just did this when I got home, put Dell in cradle and answered a few e-mails. the "unresolved" then showed up.

Larrison
03-11-2003, 02:42 AM
In 2+ years of working with a Pocket PC I've had this happen maybe once or twice. I synch an iPAQ between work and home. When it happened, my solution was to clean out my email folder on my work machine (where the inbox synch to), by cut/ pasting all the emails into a personal folder in outlook. The PDA synched and cleared up all "unresolved" issues. Then when the PDA showed 0 messages in the inbox, I did a cut/ paste from the temp folder back into my inbox. Synched fine since then..

I have noticed I get resolution conflicts if I've forgotten and kept an Outlook calendar item open (I take notes on meetings, etc in the notes part of the Calendar events) on the PDA and have it synch. That's easily solved though by just closing the item and having the machine resynch.

van_mierlo
03-11-2003, 03:46 AM
I guess we all have it...

This always happens in my deleted folder of my pocketpc. Somehow it didn't sync my delete folder from my iPAQ. So by manually deleting the mails in my delete folder onmy ipaq solves the problem.

Another solution is to move all your emails to another folder that won't sync with your pocketpc...delete everything from your ppc while connected and move those email messages back into your inbox folder on your pc

yawanag
03-11-2003, 04:26 AM
I tried to set up a connection for my T-Mobile. I kept get denied because of the User Name or Password. I was trying a Pop3 account. Finally, I did get it set up for Pop3 with my ISP but now every time I Sync, I get:

Backup could not copy the following files, to correct this error, please close any programs on your device that may have locked these files. Retry. I have it checked to Backup automatically with each sync after shedding some tears and having to reset when I first got my PPC.

It says Pop3 Deleted (Location - Databases) I have searched time and time again and I can only find the Databases when I click on My Computer > Mobile Devices > My Pocket PC [/b] > Databases. They're listed there but I cannot delete them.

Anybody know how I can delete them since the option is greyed out?

jmarkevich
03-11-2003, 04:33 AM

You have another person that agrees heavy-heartedly. I used to HotSync with three computers all the time, and it worked beautifully. Now I can't even log in on my laptop as a local user and expect AS to work.
:bad-words:

T-Will
03-11-2003, 04:42 AM
I've heard that ActiveSync is more reliable that Hotsync, if this is true then I really feel sorry for those Palm users that use Hotsync...

Gerard
03-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Just to be certain, Jason, that you've tried everything...
- checked the \Windows\messaging folder for stray files? (if any, open them in a text editor to find their nature)
- checked for various pmail database entries using dbView (http://www.ipaqsoft.net/php/trackclick.php?link=http://www.pocketpcsoft.net/zips/dbview.zip)? (it lets you find things individually by header info or the first hundred characters or so, and delete them individually)
- tried using Phatware's dbExplorer's (http://www.phatware.com/hpcdbex.html) Select>Edit>Empty command on the pmail databases which are relevant? The unregistered version allows this function, and it can be very handy.
These are all PPC-side, but I think that's where your problem lies, at least where the remnants of ActiveStank's errors are lying around.
Personally, I have had only a brief happy time with the program being talked about here, which the honourable (ahem!) Mr. Gates seems not to use himself. It was after about a year of struggles, and I had just resorted to having a 25-year IT pro who was also a client trade some TLC for some fiddle work. He managed to stripp my notebook of just about all the frills and googaws Microsoft dumps in there, with the total killing of local networking stuff I'll never use being one of the big ones. The thing was almost, well, running well. Sure, it still crashed every couple of days, and the Lucent Softmodem AMR went missing on about every 5th attempt to dial my ISP, but that was loads better than ever before! And presto - Contacts were synching for the first time ever!
Then I tried some video encoding program which utterly wasted all that work. Killed everything he'd fixed and more. So after much more wasted energy wrestling with it I formatted and started over, following his notes. Worked okay, and I've done only routine anti-virus stuff and maintenance since about a year ago. But no matter what I try, with fresh versions and supposedly clean installs (including painstaking registry cleanups item by item), Contacts simply refuse to go to the PC. Luckily, I have a Casio and an iPAQ which are always 'synched' with eachother thanks to Pocket Backup. PIM databases can be backed up from one and restored to the other in a couple of minutes, making for a lot more feeling of security. So I just don't use the PC for business, at all. It's a PPC feeder for media stuff, basically, and the odd PC-resistant installation I cannot circumvent using Xacrett or whatever else.
My vote goes to PPC independence, with healthy backups all the time, nPOP to make email a breeze, and lots more battery life than any laptop. Oh, and for double the security, registering Phatware's program allows for a backup... um, backup of your databases.

ux4484
03-11-2003, 05:47 AM
I was getting 3to 10 unresolved items daily from email on my Axim, fortunatley I don't really NEED email with me all the time so I stopped syncing it.

It may be more a desktop Outlook problem than a pocket Outlook one though, as when I synced my Visor with Outlook Express I never had a problem, but when using Outlook 2K, I recieved questionable hotsync errors for email regularly.
C'mon, really, would it have killed Microsoft to included the ability to sync with Express (at least just for email)?

oh....BTW, this was the only Hotsync problem I ever had, wish I could say the same for AS.

Cypher
03-11-2003, 08:02 AM
I consider e-mail part of the core functionality of the Pocket PC so it is with particular dismay that I've been unable to keep my wife's PPC doing it properly. Unlike me, she routinely has 1000 or more e-mail messages in her inbox. She originally downloaded the messages directly off our wireless network but it routinely caused problems, most culminating in a corrupted message database and a hard-reset to clear up the problem. (Does anyone know of a good message database un-corruptor that works with the PPC?)

To "solve" that problem, we went with using ActiveSync to transfer messages to her PPC. First we download the messages to the desktop. (That works without a flaw.) I set up a rule to "segregate" e-mail from her two e-mail accounts to sub-folders of inbox. Next we use ActiveSync to sync the messages (including the sub-folders). This worked fine for about two weeks but now I'm routinely getting "synchronizing errors" that even connecting directly to the desktop via USB won't clear up. ActiveSync just stops while trying to update. I says there are 39 unresolved items, but can't resolve them no matter what I do. Is there a utility that would allow me to clear out the current PPC message set and then sync with the desktop set that seems to be un-corrupted? I'm betting that, if I delete my messages on my wife's PPC, ActiveSync will dutifully delete everything on the desktop. Why doesn't ActiveSync have an option that would allow me to essentially delete the PPC database and "start over" with a fresh copy from the desktop?

EOR (end of rant)

igreen
03-11-2003, 08:08 AM
I get it all the time. My current issue was with my new notebook which has Outlook 2002 on it. The first time I sync'd with the notebook I got unresolved calendar entries...get this....when i tried to resolve them it told me I had duplicate CONTACT entries. It popped up a window with the offending contacts...which it created itself by combining a contacts name with random fields from the contact. For example I got something like
Joe_Guy@FaxNumber. It grabbed another field and created its own email addresses. It is indeed a flakey app.

Phoenix
03-11-2003, 10:02 AM

pocketpcdude1024
03-11-2003, 12:11 PM
I've heard that ActiveSync is more reliable that Hotsync, if this is true then I really feel sorry for those Palm users that use Hotsync...

I don't know where you heard that! I love the benefits I get from Pocket PC, but in looking back, HotSync was so much easier to use and so much more reliable than ActiveSync. For example, when I still had my Palm I let it go until the batteries were dead. :oops: To get my info back, all I had to do was initiate a sync and select my name from a list, and the Palm was exactly the way it was the last time I synced. Not so with Pocket PC... :evil:

jmbneaf
03-11-2003, 02:37 PM
My Trick for Unresolved Inbox items...

1. Make sure everything / everyone in your contacts has an email assigned no matter what....

even if they don't have one! - yep my solution is

John Doe -> assign an email like [email protected]

Strange but true.. (somehow activesync assumes everyone you know has an email address, an uses this as part of the "conduit" in Palm terms).

2. Make sure you have no near duplicate names in your contacts list

ie no John Doe and John (Jonny) Doe as separate contacts

Activestink hates that too.

With the two above methods I sync ok between work and home fine.

FYI,

JB

rlobrecht
03-11-2003, 02:45 PM
I answered yes, but that's not entirely correct. I used to synch my email with my iPaq. I used to have these types of problems. It got so frustrating, I just gave up email synching. I use IMAP for all my mail anyway, so I just have IMAP copies on my iPaq as well.

jeff
03-11-2003, 04:33 PM
The biggest problem isn't just that there are unresolved items. It's ActiveSync's inability to tell me which item was not resolved. If I have a hundred files in all sorts of folders and it tells me "1 item not synchronized," that's a completely useless piece of information. I need to know which file it is or contact or e-mail message or I can't do a thing about it. I don't care how difficult it is for ActiveSync to extract that information, it's critical and it must be done. There's really no excuse for it.

Jason Lee
03-11-2003, 05:09 PM
I don't have any trouble with email. I don't sync my email via activestink. I have the appropriate imap/pop connection to my email setup in pocket inbox. When you sync with your PC the inbox program launches in the background and connects to the email account you last had selected. It pulles all your mail to you PPC through the shared network connection with your PC and never touches activestink. This works great with imap because you can sync sub folders and everything. This will problably not work so well if you have multiple email accounts delivered to your desktop inbox and want all that mail synced. Unless you setup a connection for each account and manually open inbox while you are syncing and connect to each account manually. Which is what i do. Works great, no middle man to sync. It is connecting staight to your email server.

T-Will
03-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Another issue I have with Inbox is sometimes it will sync up my deleted items folder, but then when it syncs again it unsyncs deleted items. Any way to prevent it from syncing deleted items.

cessquill
03-13-2003, 10:20 AM
GAH! I have 7 unresolved Calendar items that I can't get rid of. I sync at work and home, but have not been able to sync up my work's global address list (don't know how), and the unresolved issue appears to lie with appointments where it doesn't recognise the people invited.

That said, it's picked seven out at random, recognising all others perfectly. I don't want to tweak these meetings too much incase it sends responses to others involves or breaks my appointment from the loop, but it's starting to get really annoying.

I'm not sure I've got all the settings correct - work only syncs up the last two weeks, home syncs everything. Both auto-archive everything over six months old every day, but my PocketPC has appointments going back over the last six years - how so???? Work is running Outlook 2002, home is Outlook XP.

I've tried searching elsewhere on these forums, but with the amount of stuff spoken about ActiveSink, I'm having trouble trawling for a solution.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Help