View Full Version : ActiveSync Continues to Suck

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Fresh install of Windows XP. Fresh install of Office XP. All patches applied, all updates installed. System is purring like a 2.53 Ghz kitten. ActiveSync 3.6 fresh from PocketPC.com. Install, sync, weep.<br /><br />I know I've beaten this topic to death, but why, oh why does ActiveSync have to suck so much? The install is 30 minutes old, and already it's giving me an aneurysm...if Outlook isn't running when I dock my Dell, a little window pops up asking me to pick my Outlook profile. I only have one friggin' Outlook profile! :really mad: How hard can this be Mr. ActiveSync? And no matter how many times I select "make this the default profile", it doesn't stick. This error was introduced with ActiveSynd 3.6, with no signs of a fix coming.<br /><br />Oh wait! It gets better! Upon my first sync I already had 15 unresolved Inbox items, and they wouldn't resolve, nor did I get an error message that told me anything useful. I shuffled around some email messages, then thought that perhaps I could disable the Inbox sync and re-enable it to see if that would fix it. Guess what? Disabling the Inbox sync option while the device is still cradled causes ActiveSync to essentially lock up. After a reboot, and I docked the Axim and proceeded to add the option to sync Inbox back in - same response. "Looking for changes" lasts forever, and killing the two ActiveSync processes seems to be the only way to restart ActiveSync.<br /><br />ActiveSync is the single worst thing about the Pocket PC platform right now.

xbalance
03-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Aren't you glad you don't live in North Korea or Iraq. Cause then things would really suck!

I can't help, but I feel your pain.

srbarts
03-11-2003, 05:08 PM
I know it sounds stupid but have you tried a soft reset of your Axim and then trying a sync??

jbctech
03-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Jason,

I too get that pop-up box about the Outlook profile. It's so annoying - and I didn't notice it until a couple weeks ago. I thought it was something in Office 11 beta 1, but it's good to know it was all along ActiveSync. I hope they fix the ActiveSync problems soon.

James

mattsmith0622
03-11-2003, 05:10 PM
At least you can sync your email (albeit with errors). ActiveSuck 3.6 gives me an error the reads "See Status on Device". When I go to the device, there is no status. Further investigation reveals that the box for "Enable synchronization with server" is checked. Problem is, I don't have ActiveSuck server, so I didn't check the box. So I uncheck it, re-sync, and it works fine. I remove the device from the cradle, come back 15 minutes later, re-sync, and guess what, same crap all over again!

Hey Mr. Gates, this shouldn't be a big issue. Palm has figured out how to sync without issues. I have to believe that your folks in Washington are at least as smart. They're certainly funded well. Last I heard you had $40 billion in cash socked away. Instead of giving yourself a $300 million dividend payment, give your ActiveSuck team a huge bonus when they finally get it right.

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Aren't you glad you don't live in North Korea or Iraq. Cause then things would really suck!

True. There are far worse things in life than ActiveSync, but I can only critique what I know. :wink: :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:13 PM
I know it sounds stupid but have you tried a soft reset of your Axim and then trying a sync??

Yes, I almost always have to soft reset the Axim before a sync because the ActiveSync process on the Pocket PC is locked up and I can't get a connection until after a soft reset... 8O

This doesn't help the issue I'm talking about though.

toml
03-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I started getting that profile prompt a few months ago when I first installed Cloudmark Spamnet. Not sure why... it's recurred through two fresh XP installs too (problem originally happened under Win2k).

I have noticed that if I have outlook running when I dock the PPC, I don't get that prompt either.

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I started getting that profile prompt a few months ago when I first installed Cloudmark Spamnet. Not sure why... it's recurred through two fresh XP installs too (problem originally happened under Win2k).

Hmm - I also use Spamnet. I wonder if there's a pattern here? I'll install Outlook today, THEN ActiveSync 3.6, and see what happens before I install Spammnet. Because, hey, I'm in a system-rebuilding mood. 8O :lol:

VanHlebar
03-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I had a similar issue last night with my Dell Axim. It was syncing just fine in the morning when I left for work. It synced fine all day at work, but then when I come home after 11 hours at work and ready to start working on a project at the house, ActiveStink decides it isn't going to work anymore. I spent over an hour trying to get it to work again. My problem was that it would not even sync at all. At least you get unresolved errors. I have had this problem before with my HP568 and the only way I have ever fixed it was with a Hard Rest.

This time, I turned off the desktop. Removed all cables for USB devices turned on the machine and added each cable one at a time. For some reason this made Active Sync see my Axim again. Hey I don't get it, but it worked, of course I didn't get any programming done because my blood pressure was way to high to concentrate on anything. Maybe if Mr. Gates actually used these devices he would have this fixed, like yesterday most likely.

-Eric

mjhamson
03-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I have never seen any of the problems that everyone has mentioned. However if you do not like ActiveSync, then why don't you use a 3rd party Sync app? or better yet build your own (for those who are coders).

As frustrating as it is, complaining is not helping. Being proactive would.

Just my 2 cents.

aviator
03-11-2003, 05:28 PM
This probably won't help much but I have rarely, if ever, had a problem with activesync. Indeed just this last weekend I bought a new Sony Vaio, the V505AP, with Win XP pro and like you did all the windows updates etc. I installed office XP, then installed activesync 3.6 and everything is working without problem. I don't get this popup for profile or anything. I'm using an Ipaq 5450 btw.

bdegroodt
03-11-2003, 05:30 PM
I have never seen any of the problems that everyone has mentioned. However if you do not like ActiveSync, then why don't you use a 3rd party Sync app? or better yet build your own (for those who are coders).

Just my 2 cents.

Umm...Because I shelled out $600 for a PDA and some software and call me crazy, but I have a reasonable expectation for it to function somewhat closely to the marketing hype on the site/box...Just my 60,000 cents. :evil:

BTW, hate to do this to you Jason (Your party and all) but, if anyone happens to stumble through this post and finds that they are some sort of uber-hacker at fixing AS problems, I'm having a real peach of one too. Have a look here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=88621&highlight=#88621)

rubberdemon
03-11-2003, 05:32 PM
I too have noticed the Outlook profile box pop up, and I have also installed Cloudmark Spamnet, so I'm pretty sure that sounds like the culprit. That said, the intermittently crappy performance of Activesync doesn't seem any worse (if possible) because of it...

Luckily I have a notebook as my main pc, and if AS doesn't work, I can always sync by IR with no problems. Slow and painful though.

Foo Fighter
03-11-2003, 05:34 PM
ActiveSync sucks? You're kidding? I didn't know that. :wink: :lol:

You don't have to tell me. Monday I had to perform my second hard reset in 6 weeks because AS ceased to connect with my Axim, again. What really alarms me is the nature of this problem; it strikes without warning. One moment everything is syncing just fine, the next...dead as a door nail. And there seems to be no workaround beyond complete wipe-out of system memory. :roll:

You know, I was really starting to like PPC, but based on the oddball characteristics I've experienced over the past 3 months with dropped or dead connections, program slowdowns, freezes, and general goofiness, it has become painfully clear to me that PPC is not ready for the masses. More work needs to be done before it's ready for prime time.

bkerrins
03-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Activsync is certainly a pain. I didn't have too many issues at work...but at home it never works right. My wife's either. Plenty of unresolved issues, lots of duplicated contacts, now my system is just saying it doesn't recognize my device. Notwithstanding the inability to sync two units onto the same PC. I would imagine there are more than one husband/wife team or partners that use the same PC at home.

bdegroodt
03-11-2003, 05:35 PM
You know, I was really starting to like PPC, but based on the oddball characteristics I've experienced over the past 3 months with dropped or dead connections, program slowdowns, freezes, and general goofiness, it has become painfully clear to me that PPC is not ready for the masses. More work needs to be done before it's ready for prime time.

Foo are you going to take back your M505 from your sis :P

Foo Fighter
03-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Foo are you going to take back your M505 from your sis :P

Ha, no she's still getting it. I'll likely move to Sony's new TG50.

Ed Hansberry
03-11-2003, 05:38 PM
I too get that pop-up box about the Outlook profile. It's so annoying - and I didn't notice it until a couple weeks ago. I thought it was something in Office 11 beta 1, but it's good to know it was all along ActiveSync. I hope they fix the ActiveSync problems soon.
This is not an ActiveSync problem. I have an automated sales report that launches from Access. I still use Outlook 2000 with SR1 on it so I can use the basic sendmail macro - something SR2 killed. Outlook 2000 only has one profile but unless Outlook is already running, Access will just hang when it tries to send the report asking for an Outlook profile. :(

dh
03-11-2003, 05:40 PM

Just my 2 cents.

I was going to ask if there were any third party solutions to sync the PPC. If not, maybe MS should have PalmSource write them a version of HotSync.

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:48 PM
This is not an ActiveSync problem. I have an automated sales report that launches from Access. I still use Outlook 2000 with SR1 on it so I can use the basic sendmail macro - something SR2 killed. Outlook 2000 only has one profile but unless Outlook is already running, Access will just hang when it tries to send the report asking for an Outlook profile. :(

So you're saying the problem with both Outlook XP and Outlook 200 SR1 is that, when started headless, they don't default to the only profile they have? Hmm - sounds plausable...damn Outlook! :lol:

Chris Spera
03-11-2003, 05:49 PM
This time, I turned off the desktop. Removed all cables for USB devices turned on the machine and added each cable one at a time.
-Eric

Based on my recent experiences with USB and my 5455, I'm going to say that this has got some credibility. For some reason and I don't know why (maybe its because USB can power devices), power sometimes seems to "get dirty" inside a USB cable, preventing specified use.

For example, USB Charging on the 5455 should work, but for some reason seems to be problematic and many of us have recommended users turn it off until HP comes up with a ROM upgrade that clears this and other power/ hardware problems. (these may be further compounded by the 5400's other quirks, but I think those start with dirty USB power, too.)

Try this, Jason... it can't hurt...

Christoper Spera

Cobbler
03-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Genovation ReSync
One of the most useful tools I have found is free from Genovation. It is called Resync, and what it does is kill and restart WCEScomm.exe like a reboot will do without rebooting.

You know when you cradle and it just hangs there forever and gets a third of the way and stops with no error messages? That is WCEScomm.exe hanging, which is the backbone of Activesync. Keep this little tool handy and it will save lots of needless rebooting.

It runs on your desktop, not the pocketpc.

Read about it and get it at Chris Herrera's page: http://www.cewindows.net/applications/resync.htm

Noel
03-11-2003, 05:59 PM
I have 3 different iPAQs Activesyncing fine (relatively) on home box.
I recently attempted to add Axim cradle - wouldn't be recognized as USB device until I removed iPAQ cradle. After re-installing AS3.6 I got a good Axim sync... but then the flakiness Jason recounts started... my hunch is this is an Axim issue. Anyone else have similiar experience?

Noel

Ed Hansberry
03-11-2003, 06:02 PM
So you're saying the problem with both Outlook XP and Outlook 200 SR1 is that, when started headless, they don't default to the only profile they have? Hmm - sounds plausable...damn Outlook! :lol:
Exactly. It trips up ActiveSync as well but AS is only requesting Outlook services. Outlook is the one going "Ok, which profile?" even though you only have one. :evil: I don't know what triggers it either because it doesn't happen to everyone.

rssrfrssr
03-11-2003, 06:06 PM
I've had my fair share of problems with Activesync, too, but I have finally gotten it to a point where it is bearable. I think it mainly had to do with a re-format of my drive and a fresh install of everything, or it was just pure luck. :wink:

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer another link to that same Genovation site for an app that is in my startup menu and I use religiously: Killsync
http://www.cewindows.net/applications/killsync.htm

I had problems with Outlook always running even after it was closed (thanks to Activestink) and it trying to sync at innopportune times and needlessly taking up resources. At least with this app you can blast it without doing the 3-fingered salute (Ctrl-Alt-Delete).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

nascaredd
03-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Here's another, upgraded to Windows XP Professional, went to sync my H1910, then my wife's H3765 and all my contacts and docs are copied over to her iPaq. Activesync recognizes her as a different user why then is all my stuff going to her. :evil:

donkthemagicllama
03-11-2003, 06:16 PM
I keep thinking I should replace my E-125 because it's so slow, but the more I read about all the problems that HP/Dell/Toshiba PDA owners have, I get turned off.

Never had any trouble with my E-125, except for the fact that it's slower than molasses.

Using Win2k, Outlook XP and ActiveSync 3.6 BTW...

questionlp
03-11-2003, 06:29 PM
ActiveSync is the single worst thing about the Pocket PC platform right now.The two worst things about the Pocket PC platform for me are: worthless word processor (or overbloated or lacking Notepad) and pathetic handling of network/dial-up connection profiles.

I can live with a barely-decent web browser, but attempting to work on any Word -> Pocket Turd files just make me get even more pissed off. Come on Microsoft, at least provide outline and indents!!!

/rant mode off... for now :evil:

cmchavez
03-11-2003, 06:30 PM
I have 3 different iPAQs Activesyncing fine (relatively) on home box.
I recently attempted to add Axim cradle - wouldn't be recognized as USB device until I removed iPAQ cradle. After re-installing AS3.6 I got a good Axim sync... but then the flakiness Jason recounts started... my hunch is this is an Axim issue. Anyone else have similiar experience?

Noel

I haven't had a similar problem with an Axim, but it sounds like a plausible explanation. I have an iPaq 3950 that I synch between two different machines, home and office, and I don't have any of the problems that Jason describes. To make things worse (for Jason that is 8O ), I am an Exchange Administrator and have 12 different Outlook profiles setup on my office box. But each time AS 3.6 fires up, it always defaults to my personal profile and not any of the other 11 profiles that exist.

Sorry, I don't love M$ or AS 3.6, but I haven't had enough problems to suggest corporal punishment for random M$ programmers either...

Bob Anderson
03-11-2003, 06:33 PM
There's not much I can add to this discussion, other than a few thoughts:

1) I certainly hope a MSFT engineer reads these threads... there's plenty of feedback on what does/doesn't work... and plenty of room for them to start making improvements... hint, hint

2) I pray that ANY of you readers out there, lucky enough to get to test what ever new thing may or may not be coming out of MSFT (Pocket PC operating system upgrade) will really focus on active synch as a product you thoroughly beat to death in beta testing...

3) Jason, through his own suffering, is really helping the cause! (Way to go Jason. I love your rants!)

4) ActiveStink really does suck ... For MONTHS I was able to synch via 802.11b, then suddenly, it stopped working and no matter what I try (nothing short of a total rebuild of my computer and PDA - which I'm not going to do!) gets the issue resolved (in fairness to MSFT, the problem developed after I installed HanDBase and may be related to the way it handles synchronizing...)

5) This site is that absolute best thing I've ever been a participant in, and again, kudos to Jason for being honest.. even if it means bashing the evil empire's products (That's a note to those of you who from time to time have claimed Jason is too MSFT centered!)

Paragon
03-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Microsoft activesync team.....understand this........Activesync http://devans.ca/sucks.jpg

T-Will
03-11-2003, 06:54 PM
I also started randomly getting that Outlook profile popup even though I only have one profile. And I think it started when I loaded the latest version of ActiveSuck.

piperpilot
03-11-2003, 06:58 PM
:x I have found that most of my ActupSync problems are solved by abandoning the USB connection option in favor of the good old fashioned serial port connection. Yes, it's slower, believe me, I know--I transfer three hours worth of radio shows to my device every day and it takes 45 minutes to convert each hour of radio show to my device--but it's reliable. When I used the USB connection, my iPAQ 5455 used to disconnect itself all the time for no reason and even a soft reset would not allow me to connect again. I had to actually reinstall ActupSync from the CD in order to establish a connection, only to have it mysteriously disconnect itself a couple of hours later. Curiously enough, I did not have a problem with the USB connection with my previous device, an iPAQ 3850.

I've given up trying to figure it out and just have learned to live with the file conversion delay of the serial port connection.

Ed Hansberry
03-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Here's another, upgraded to Windows XP Professional, went to sync my H1910, then my wife's H3765 and all my contacts and docs are copied over to her iPaq. Activesync recognizes her as a different user why then is all my stuff going to her. :evil:
In XP you should set her up under her own XP profile. Then there is no way the data can get comingled. It sounds like you have one profile in XP and either different user folders or Outlook profiles.

Foo Fighter
03-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Personally, I'd like to see MS kill ActiveSync and replace it with a completely new architecture based upon industry standard SyncML. Wishful thinking I guess. :(

palmsolo
03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
I used to wonder what people why people were complaining about ActiveSync when I had my Jornada 568. I rarely experienced any issues using both AS 3.5 and 3.6. I then bought a Dell Axim and even after trying out the USB AS updated drivers from Dell could only get the stupid thing to sync about 20% of the time. That and the regular soft resets drove me nuts and I traded my Axim for an iPaq 1910. I now have had smooth sailing for a week with no ActiveSync issues, so it leads me to believe it is a Dell Axim issue.

FYI, I am using Windows XP Home at home and Windows 2000 at work to sync my Pocket PC.

SofaTater
03-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I just brought up a new XP machine last Friday and installed ActiveSync 3.6 -- no problems at all so far. I'm running Outlook 200O SR1 -- maybe the Outlook version has something to do with your problems...

Yorch
03-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I don't think is really an issue of ActiveSync, I think Is more an Outlook problem, because at one point of time when I was a Palm user I had the same problems, when I upgraded to Palm Desktop 4.1, that was before using Pocket Pc.

Luckily, I have been using my Xda without a problem in Outlook.

NeoAxim
03-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Activestink, activesuck, or any other term you used to describe the piece of crude that MS provides us with to sync our PPC's, is being too kind.

I am not going to bother to offer a fix or anything else. If you want to hear a random problem, fix, suggestion, tweak, technical rant, non technical rant or general nasty words regarding this product take a look at any PPC forum and I am sure within reading one or two pages you will have your fill.

But for me it comes down to strategy. And that strategy is the following:

1 - accept Activestink really does stink and be prepared to fight with it.
2 - stay alert. 99 successful syncs in a row does not ensure the 100th to go through problem free. Activestink problems can crop up anywhere or anytime. I find that mine tend to come about when I ABSOLUTELY need to sync my PPC for critical information for that day and have only 15 minutes to get 3 blocks away to catch my bus. AS tends to decide to stop working in these particular moments.
3 - Arm yourself - reboots and soft resets take too long to kill AS on your PPC and machine when a problem occurs so take Cobbler and rssrfrssr's advice. Resync http://www.cewindows.net/applications/resync.htm
and Killsync http://www.cewindows.net/applications/killsync.htm are critical when trying to get your sync going without through the entire reboot process. This also allows you to attempt various tweaks (such as reseating the USB cable, praying to the various gods of the PPC, and restarting Activesync to see if they worked.
4 - When all else fails reboot em' both. For my PPC I use NiceStart which comes with a software based soft reset utility and for XP Start-> Shutdown -> restart will suffice.

If this does not work throw PPC out window and buy a Day Planner! :wink:
Of course I am just kidding on this last one but the above are just a few of the actions that I have accepted as part of the PPC way of life.

My problems are not as severe as most. My sync issues, for the most part (trust me this is far from all encompassing) come down to Avantgo. For some reason, and trust me this is the definition of random, Activesync will decide that Avantgo has "missing or out of date components". Now these problematic "components" could appear right after you sync successfully and for whatever reason attempt to sync again or it can be 10 syncs in before this wonderful message will pop up again, which incidentally will knock out ALL other items that sync with a web component such as Vindigo or Journal Bar until I infuse my little bag of tricks which I outlined in my numbered list above. Yes I have tried reinstalling and all the other little tweaks and twists you can come up with short of a hard reset (which I refuse to do).

The fact remains. Activesync is flaky. If MS is serious about the PPC platform they need to remedy these issues ASAP. I am a system administrator so issues like these, while frustrating, are not a deal breaker for me. I appreciate the PPC and the organization and benefits it has brought into my everyday life. BUT if I was not technical and predisposed to search for solutions or utilities to make my handheld work as advertised I would toss this thing to the curb and get a Palm or stick with my Day planner.

Not knocking anything, just being honest. For PPC's to really take hold, which I think we can all agree would only bring more innovation and great products to this already blossoming platform, MS can invest the time and effort to ensure people from all walks of life and with limited technical background can successfully operate one of these devices. Synchronization is one of, if not the, feature benefit of a PPC.

If you can't develop a conduit to synch it correctly the battle to pry the Palms from the masses may never completely come to fruition.

Oh and to mjhamson who wrote "I have never seen any of the problems that everyone has mentioned. However if you do not like ActiveSync, then why don't you use a 3rd party Sync app? or better yet build your own (for those who are coders).
Just my 2 cents."

I think when you are playing $300+ for an item it is more than acceptable to complain when that product does not work as advertised.

Being proactive is great, especially if you want to develop a feature that is not inherent to the PPC platform but why should anyone spend time fixing what should come out of the box working?

rfischer
03-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Jason,

When you install ActiveCrap, you might want to log into your PC (I assume you are using XP) with the Administrator account. I've had quirky apps like ActiveTrash work better when installed using the Admin account. Even though my regular account has Domain Admin privelidges, it's just not the same for some reason.

sigh.....Microsoft...

ragintajin
03-11-2003, 09:30 PM
hey, i've been getting the little Profile popup since i've installed SpamNet too...

rfischer
03-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey, you guys may just be on to something..

Mobile Mike
03-11-2003, 09:47 PM
I just got a new computer with XP. Would you recommend sticking with 3.5? Is there any reason to even bother installing 3.6?

Thanks.

Jimmy Dodd
03-11-2003, 09:58 PM
What options are there besides ActiveSync? I've seen IntelliSync advertised, but I haven't seen a demo/trial so I don't know how well it works. Other than that I don't know of any solutions.

If you guys think using ActiveSync is bad you should try developing for it. It's a freakin' nightmare. :evil:

Paragon
03-11-2003, 10:00 PM
I just got a new computer with XP. Would you recommend sticking with 3.5? Is there any reason to even bother installing 3.6?

Thanks.

Perhaps someone can confirm this.....The only difference between Activesync 3.5, and 3.6 is that 3.6 has smartphone support???

Dave

ctmagnus
03-11-2003, 10:06 PM
I've never had any AS problems with Windows 2000 Pro SP3, Office XP SP2. My solution: The desktop PC must be slower, MHz for MHz, than the PPC. :D

I also use ActiveSync Toggle (http://micrologics.co.uk/library/ast/) when I don't want AS running for whatever reason.

MultiMatt
03-11-2003, 10:29 PM
I love Active Sync. It has been nothing but a charm to work with!
As a matter of fact, I think I am going to have the Active Sync icon tattoed onto my forearm, so all the world can see how much I love it!

:pukeface:
NOT!

I think I've been having a little too much of this:
:drinking:
I'm delirious!!

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord, my soul to keep
If Microsoft knows just what's at stake
A dependable sync app, they will create!

Matt

NeoAxim
03-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey ctmagnus, never saw that AS Toggle app before. Thanks for the link.

A new weapon for my ongoing battle with Activestink!

:D

Paragon
03-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Are you OK now Matt? :)

Dave

MultiMatt
03-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Yes Dave! I'm feeling better now! ;)

For a moment, I was considering taking a screen shot of your avatar, and placing the AS icon on the forearm, then posting it with my post!
But then I thought - that wouldn't be cool...
:lol:

Matt

toshm
03-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Everytime I get tired of the Palm OS for a lack of innovation and simplicity I jump back to the Pocket PC world only to remind myself why I left in the first place. Unlike many Palm users, I prefer the interface of the PocketPC over Palm but I just cannot afford to loose my information. I can go back through my Outlook calendar and see the times I switched to the PocketPC because I have calendar events missing. Sure I probably forgot some step.

After reading the thread several weeks ago Jason Dunn posted about his ActiveSync issues, several people posted their steps on how to sucessfully resync their info. I realized that there is no cut and dry method. I wise I could just put my iPaq in the cradle and it would sync up. This partnership crap and activesync quarks are maddening. So for now I carry a Palm as my main PIM and my iPaq for apps and games. :x

Paragon
03-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Yes Dave! I'm feeling better now! ;)

For a moment, I was considering taking a screen shot of your avatar, and placing the AS icon on the forearm, then posting it with my post!
But then I thought - that wouldn't be cool...
:lol:

Matt

It wouldn't be cool.......but it would be funny. :D

In order to keep this on topic, the latest reason I think Activesync sucks in such a big way is because I had to do a hard reset on my Axim lastnight to get it to sync again. My latest backup was infected with the same problem. :twisted:

Dave

GadgetDave
03-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Jason, I assume you've gone into Control Panel | Mail and looked at profiles and told it to "Always use this profile"? :D

Used to be on a support desk and it never hurts to ask, even with power users ... 8)

GregWard
03-12-2003, 12:18 AM
In case the Microsofties are reading this thread - Hope they are! Here's another one that I haven't noticed being posted (though with six pages I might have missed it!!!!).

What's with this "USB device trying to connect is not recognised" rubbish. Heh - Stupido - you recognised it three minutes ago and I know you'll recognise it again as soon as I soft reset the PPC and stick it back in the cradle. :evil:

On the other hand - my be nice to msoft moment - to be fair to AS it is trying to do a lot more than I've ever dreamt of trying with HotSync. I expect it to transfer the last 31 days of my entire Outlook system - inc subfolders and Sent Mail (which I need to trick by a rule copying everything to a subfolder!!!) and attachments. Moreover I expect it to do this seamlessly and automatically in the background - hands free!!! I trust PPC/AS to keep my iPaq up to date - that way when I'm in a meeting I know I have that e-mail to refer to (sent or received).

I have never tried to do anything like this with a Palm - has anybody else tried it?

Incidentally do NOT try this with a Nokia 9210 and the rubbish heap sync programme Symbian use. I tried it once - 277 years ago it was and the first 5 e-mails have just transfered. Oops - sorry an update - just crashed again - have to start over.

Phoenix
03-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Since the topic of ActiveSync has been brought up once again (with good reason, no doubt), I think I'll post this poem once more... (Hey, one should never miss an opportunity to share their thoughts with Microsoft, so here goes...)

Ode To ActiveStink :roll:

ActiveSync, ActiveStink, yes, it loves to eat
To ActiveStink each byte, mmmm, tastes so sweet.

Oh, its ravenous appetite knows no end!
"Let my mouth Embrace, let my gut Extend"

It says in a kind of Microsoft-esque way
As it chews your data while you plug and pray

Down go your appointments, your files, contacts
Into its cavernous belly like snacks

ActiveStink searches for ways to destroy
To worry, to anger, and rob you of your joy

Frustrating users to death is its goal
Through a USB straw it seems to suck your soul

ActiveStink loves to do magic, oh yes!
A little wave of its wand and your data's a mess!

It slices, it dices, but wait! There is more!
Did you think ActiveStink's done? No way! This is war!

While you're fast asleep, snoring, and your PC's are too
ActiveStink stays up, and boy, it ain't through!

It sneaks around hard drives like a thief in the night
All shifty-eyed, mapping out ways it can bite

Hey, don't kid yourself, it's got a life of its own
It makes meals of all data straight down to the bone

Just as sure as the sunrise, ActiveStink's there
Ready and waiting to snarl and ensnare

Anything and everything that's precious to you
Your photos, your music, and oh, yeah, that too!

"Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?", we ask
"Is a rewrite such a formidable task?"

Mysteries of the "Sync Arts" must Microsoft learn
It's ActiveStink Microsoft knows we all spurn

But ActiveStink goes on, just chewing its cud
Like a big old fat cow, turning data to crud

So rise up my brothers, my sisters, let's shout!
Let Microsoft know we want better, no doubt!

But until that reliable sync app is here
I'll just sit back, relax, and have a cold beer :)

iPaqDude
03-12-2003, 01:13 AM
I have been using a PPC for the last two years - the only frustration that I have had that entire time has been with ActiveSync. I even considered jumping the PPC bandwagon just to get away from it.

I am the Architect that is looking to put our company's mobility infrastructure in place, and will be looking for something that actually works - and it won't be ActiveSync.

Microsoft - if you are listening - and really give even an iota of a damn about your PPC customers - fix this piece of ....

ctmagnus
03-12-2003, 01:29 AM
What's with this "USB device trying to connect is not recognised" rubbish.

To be fair, I've also seen that with some (a?) CF card readers.

ppcsurfr
03-12-2003, 04:11 AM

It didn't recognize her as a different user. It recognized the device as a different device. That's all.

You can sync multiple devices to your Outlook profile.

You might have been running your profile when you docked her 3765.

Try logging off first then log on to her profile... then dock her PPC.

ppcsurfr

ppcsurfr
03-12-2003, 04:27 AM
Oh for you guys out there having problems with ActiveSync...

Think about this first.

ActiveSync won't work... so you blame ActiveSync...

You've been installing apps that run in the background and never even blame these apps for causing any problems.

You install ActiveSync while your Anti-Virus app is running and you mess up your ActiveSync Install...

And still you blame ActiveSync???

Am I so lucky that in so many years that I've been using ActiveSync, I haven't had a major problem with it.

I'm not saying that ActiveSync is perfect or outstanding... but why can't your rants go in another way?

I don't hear you guys say... "This damned app is trash because it messes up ActiveSync." or "This damn Anti-Virus is messing up my ActiveSync install!"

In case you guys are doing our install with an active Anti-virus... don't blame ActiveSync for getting messed up... I've had experience installing BT drivers and other stuff ending up useless because of an install while the Anti-Virus was on.

I'm not saing my comments will solve our problems... all I'm wondering is that let's say Spamnet is causing all our problems... why not blame Spamnet???

ppcsurfr

Paragon
03-12-2003, 05:06 AM
I'm not saying that ActiveSync is perfect or outstanding... but why can't your rants go in another way?

I don't hear you guys say... "This damned app is trash because it messes up ActiveSync." or "This damn Anti-Virus is messing up my ActiveSync install!"

Why would I rant in any other way? Why would I blame Activesync's poor performance on something else? I have had a version of Activesync on my desktop for close to three years. I have had few problems....til two days ago and my Dell just pain up and quit syncing. I have not installed any new software to either device in a few days. I had successfully used Activesync several times that day and like SO MANY people I have heard about it just plain quit!! It must have been the mash potatoes I had at supper!! There is absolutely no way it could be activesync's fault! Why would it be?

There is no single issue with PPC that has caused so many problems, and frustration. I have seen many posts from people close to completely loosing it over this application. As a moderator, one of the forums I moderate is a Dell forum. I have seen many new Pocket PC users who have switched from Palm. Many of them having problems with Activesync. I have also see many of them give up, and return to their Palm devices for one single reason.......Activesync........think on that!!!

Since Pocket PCs have come to market we have seen two very minor updates of this app, one of the most important applications for PPCs.....two minor updates. Many third party app are on their 4,th, 5th, or even their 6th new full version, with many minor updates along the way. Yet Activesync, which is developed by the worlds largest software developer has had TWO MINOR updates, and is easily one of the worst applications for Pocket PCs.

If we even hear a rumor that someone had to do a hard rest on their device because of a poor quality piece of software we are all up in arms over what a piece of crap it is, and how that developer should be delt with. Well....it's almost a daily occurrence to hear someone have to hard rest their PPC to get it to sync.

Until Microsoft can prove they can fix this app Pocket PCs will never be mainsteam!

2 cents by Dave

Kacey Green
03-12-2003, 05:49 AM
The only solution I've found to fix AS sync problems was a hard reset of the PDA and creating a new profile and copying everything from scratch. As soon as I loaded a backup even from the freshly Hard reset device I'd get the unresolved items. This should be fixed and they could make a compatibility mode for people like me who still run a Phillips nino 320 :lol: (Hopefully the Ipaqs will run the xcale 255 soon)

Fresh install of Windows XP. Fresh install of Office XP. All patches applied, all updates installed. System is purring like a 2.53 Ghz kitten. ActiveSync 3.6 fresh from PocketPC.com. Install, sync, weep.

I know I've beaten this topic to death, but why, oh why does ActiveSync have to suck so much? The install is 30 minutes old, and already it's giving me an aneurysm...if Outlook isn't running when I dock my Dell, a little window pops up asking me to pick my Outlook profile. I only have one friggin' Outlook profile! :really mad: How hard can this be Mr. ActiveSync? And no matter how many times I select "make this the default profile", it doesn't stick. This error was introduced with ActiveSynd 3.6, with no signs of a fix coming.

Oh wait! It gets better! Upon my first sync I already had 15 unresolved Inbox items, and they wouldn't resolve, nor did I get an error message that told me anything useful. I shuffled around some email messages, then thought that perhaps I could disable the Inbox sync and re-enable it to see if that would fix it. Guess what? Disabling the Inbox sync option while the device is still cradled causes ActiveSync to essentially lock up. After a reboot, and I docked the Axim and proceeded to add the option to sync Inbox back in - same response. "Looking for changes" lasts forever, and killing the two ActiveSync processes seems to be the only way to restart ActiveSync.

ActiveSync is the single worst thing about the Pocket PC platform right now.

MikeUnwired
03-12-2003, 06:31 AM
ActiveSync is one of the major reasons I stick with Palm for my daily PDA. While I have more than enough time to deal with the malfunctioning ActiveSync and such, I choose not to. I like my data well synced and nicely backed-up. It gives me a higher level of security.

I've got a nice little iPAQ 3955 that I toy with, but my schedule, address book and such are all on my Palm Tungsten | T. It syncs very reliably day in and day out...

Now, with Mickey D's getting hotspots, I may have to belly-up to a 5455 or whatever is top shelf when my Big Mac comes with WiFi.

hyonj
03-12-2003, 06:38 AM
I didn't read all of the posts, but I've had similiar problems with 3.6. I downgraded to 3.5 and all is well. I remember I posted something regarding my problems with active sync 3.6 but others said that they werne't having any problems. I read that there were only minor changes with 3.6 and have not had any problems since I downgraded to 3.5.

element
03-12-2003, 08:31 AM
I've probably spent 10 hours the past week trying to figure out why:

1) I have a continously synchronizing Money Item
2) I can only synchronize once w/o having to kill async and reset my device

That was after I'd done a hard boot (ipaq rom update) and a profile removal from my system.

You would think M$ would have better support.

But, as they say...anything is better then going back to my Palm. However, after looking at the new Sony...

Never mind!

Timothy Rapson
03-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Never had any trouble with my E-125, except for the fact that it's slower than molasses.

Using Win2k, Outlook XP and ActiveSync 3.6 BTW...

Remember how blazing fast it seemed when you got it?

No matter what else comes of PDAs, the E125 will always have one of the all time most brilliant screens.

Timothy Rapson
03-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I really think most of the problems with AS are with the desktops. That is why the utilities recommended here are probably the best weapon in the battle with AS.

I have had the same problems syncing my Epoc OS Diamond Mako, my Ipaq, and my new Clie. They almost always need a reboot of my desktop when they won't sync. Once that is done all is well.

But, that means it is Microsoft's fault all the way around. I would bet anything that those 3 people who bought US Robotics/3COM Audreys (remember how they were going to put Microsoft out of business? :lol: ) never had any problems syncing.

I frequently have bad dreams about trying to get my files off my Clie(compared to the nightmares of AS). Many graphic based programs don't even have desktop clients, so you really can't use the files on your desktop at all. When I have a picture I took on my Clie I can't use it on my desktop as I'd like until I move it to the memory stink card. Of course, then it doesn't sync to desktop at all, because the memory stink card does not sync. I have to run a separate program on both the desktop and Clie to get files to move from one to the other......and then.....well, just so you know, life is rough all over.

I just wish Psion still sold PDAs. I would pay $1000 for a Clie that ran Epoc OS.

barky81
03-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Excellent advice, it was what I was going to suggest (but I hung on long enough to read through the whole thread).

Too bad no one has reported back yet. Any updates out there?

Jason, I assume you've gone into Control Panel | Mail and looked at profiles and told it to "Always use this profile"? :D

Used to be on a support desk and it never hurts to ask, even with power users ... 8)

Regarding the *other* main issue discussed here--unresolvable items during sync'ing (and resulting sync error), I found that deleting the partnership and then sync'ing (and creating a new one) solved this problem.

In my case, I lost none of my info in doing so, though I was terrified.

In post-event analysis, I concluded the problem was originally triggered with a bad install/uninstall of a trial app to my pocketpc.

ux4484
03-12-2003, 03:41 PM
hmmmm........ActiveSync (along with pocket word and excel) seems to be just one more way MS makes sure that PPC's don't replace laptop licences.

as Dave kinda points out.........something for the geek-enabled, but not the masses.

Two years with POS, ONE hotsync problem. Three months with AS, more than a dozen (though I am trouble free just now)........double hmmmm........Seems to be almost a British-like social structure........Palms for the masses, PPC's for the Gentry, and Laptops for the Lords ;)

davidm
03-19-2003, 01:13 AM
One problem I noticed seems to concern the USB driver.

I used to have a PaperPort scanner plugged into one USB port and my Loox plugged into the other. While I never saw any USB specific error messages or indications of conflict, invariably the scanner would lose its connection halfway through a scan, and the PDA would have synching issues, such as dropped connections.

Now that I only plug in the PDA or the scanner, but not both simultaneously, I don't run into either problem. I run Windows 2000 here at work, if that might make a difference.

Dave

Ed Hansberry
03-19-2003, 01:22 AM
One problem I noticed seems to concern the USB driver.

I used to have a PaperPort scanner plugged into one USB port and my Loox plugged into the other. While I never saw any USB specific error messages or indications of conflict, invariably the scanner would lose its connection halfway through a scan, and the PDA would have synching issues, such as dropped connections.

Now that I only plug in the PDA or the scanner, but not both simultaneously, I don't run into either problem. I run Windows 2000 here at work, if that might make a difference.

Dave
Is this a hub or the two ports on your PC?

rundcm
03-19-2003, 06:18 PM
one or more "updates" that microsoft constantly sends out have recently twigged the active sync up??

Any ideas mine was prettymuch ok till recently....now...cant get to mobile favorites....

delfuhd
03-28-2003, 11:36 AM
hmm ok lol there's a lot of pages here and I haven't read all of them, so if I say something that's already been said, sorry!

I never got the chance to own a Dell Axim, but I have a good friend who is obsessed with them, and for him, ActiveSync doesn't recognize his ppc when he puts it in the cradle unless it's off. And with my h3850 & 3870 I know that I have to have the ppc off when I put it in the cradle, then it turns on and automatically connects, otherwise it just sits there, and I can't connect to it at all. So if someone's having trouble with that, maybe that's a solution to their problem. Hope I helped...[/quote]

MultiMatt
03-29-2003, 07:42 PM
I swore I would never do this again....
Ever since getting my new iPAQ 5455 about a month ago, I resolved to sync only with my home PC and not attempt to sync with my Work PC too. In the past, it caused too many problems.
Well, I was weak... I was getting too many appointments at work, and it was hard to keep track of it all by attempting to manually keep things updated on my iPAQ.
So, I synchronized with my Work PC....
Ahhhhhhhh!
While I have everything from Work now on my iPAQ, once I got home and synchronized with my Home PC again, the crap hit the fan: Quadruple entries!
Unresolved items galoreI have tried and tried (even using LBE Toolbox), and cannot get the unresolved items to end. The one thing I find particularly odd is that it says I have 6 unresolved Calendar items, yet when I click on Resolve, it says stuff in relation to Contacts!!! I even tried deleting the contacts in question, and it STILL says it has 6 unresolved Calendar items (referring to those contacts!).

Now that I have critical info from two PC's in my iPAQ, does anyone have a recommendation for a next step to resolve this conflict? I don't really want to delete and re-establish partnerships all over...

System info:
Home PC - Win XP Pro, Outlook XP Active Sync 3.6
Work PC - Win NT 4.0, Outlook 2000, Active Sync 3.6

Matt

Kacey Green
05-06-2004, 01:51 PM
The only solution I've found to fix AS sync problems was a hard reset of the PDA and creating a new profile and copying everything from scratch. As soon as I loaded a backup even from the freshly Hard reset device I'd get the unresolved items. This should be fixed and they could make a compatibility mode for people like me who still run a Phillips nino 320 :lol: (Hopefully the Ipaqs will run the xcale 255 soon)

Fresh install of Windows XP. Fresh install of Office XP. All patches applied, all updates installed. System is purring like a 2.53 Ghz kitten. ActiveSync 3.6 fresh from PocketPC.com. Install, sync, weep.

I know I've beaten this topic to death, but why, oh why does ActiveSync have to suck so much? The install is 30 minutes old, and already it's giving me an aneurysm...if Outlook isn't running when I dock my Dell, a little window pops up asking me to pick my Outlook profile. I only have one friggin' Outlook profile! :really mad: How hard can this be Mr. ActiveSync? And no matter how many times I select "make this the default profile", it doesn't stick. This error was introduced with ActiveSynd 3.6, with no signs of a fix coming.

Oh wait! It gets better! Upon my first sync I already had 15 unresolved Inbox items, and they wouldn't resolve, nor did I get an error message that told me anything useful. I shuffled around some email messages, then thought that perhaps I could disable the Inbox sync and re-enable it to see if that would fix it. Guess what? Disabling the Inbox sync option while the device is still cradled causes ActiveSync to essentially lock up. After a reboot, and I docked the Axim and proceeded to add the option to sync Inbox back in - same response. "Looking for changes" lasts forever, and killing the two ActiveSync processes seems to be the only way to restart ActiveSync.

ActiveSync is the single worst thing about the Pocket PC platform right now.

Well now a year later looking back at the earliest post of mine that I could find.

The only solution I've found to fix AS sync problems was a hard reset of the PDA and creating a new profile and copying everything from scratch. With Rex on the few occaisions were there are AS problems I have much better luck deleting Rex's profile and creating a new one. (on a side note I hate it that when I hard reset Rex AS can't read Rex's serial # and ask if I want to delete the old partnership)

This should be fixed and they could make a compatibility mode for people like me who still run a Phillips nino 320 :lol:
I sympathise with people still running straight WinCE without the PPC enhancements, (unless they are running a current version of WinCE) but they should start from scratch and include support for PPC 2002 WM 2003, and up with arm based processors only (obviously leaving room for new tech).

(Hopefully the Ipaqs will run the xcale 255 soon)
(Hopefully the iPAQs will include a PPC with VGA, and everything good about the h5555 and h2215 with dual slots obiously :wink: )

OSUKid7
05-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Well, I didn't read through all 8 pages of this thread, but you can see I had major problems (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27413) with ActiveSync before and after a reformat too. Did a hard reset of my iPaq, and it synced, but then I had the terrible duplicate calendar items bug. Got a "prayer-ware" app that fixed that though (yeah, it looked weird, but did the job). Looks like everything's working now. :)