View Full Version : How satisfied are you ...

biggus
03-09-2003, 09:10 PM
... with your Loox and would you consider buying the next-gen PDA from FS in the future?

As for myself: NO and NO. I also own iPaq 3650 and, despite having Loox with its integrated BT, dual slots, better battery life, 64MB, better ergonomics and whatnot, I'm still missing the snappy response of my old iPaq. Not to mention the larger screen and all the 4096 vibrant colors. Ah, and the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

I think FS really needs to address the following areas to win back some of the current Loox users:
- Bigger screen. I did side-by-side comparison with my old iPaq and the Loox was left in dust in terms of contrast and readability. The small difference in size actually does make a big difference. And what's with the washed out colors? This is the worst quality screen I've seen in any serious PDA.
- Touchscreen sensitivity and accuracy.
- PXA250. What a rip-off.
- Backlight issue. Sweet baby Conzales! You have to point your Loox to a light source to have the backlight come on?! Brilliant!

I'm sure those topics have already been discussed ad nauseum, but I just had to vent. ;)

JvanEkris
03-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Well, to make this thread more balanced: I love every minute of it. :)

It's fast, reliable and small. Ipaq's are bulky, especially if you need a CF-card.

Jaap

bagemk
03-11-2003, 02:55 PM
I had an Ipaq 3630 and now use a Loox. I agree that in some ways, the Loox feels sluggish in comparison. However, that is a "feature" of the Pocket PC OS on the XScale processors - not unique to Loox. The recent XScale overclocking tools improve the responsiveness considerably. (Media Player is still useless for video though)

The display on my Loox is much better than I've seen on any 36xx series Ipaq. If yours is washed out, then I think you must have a faulty unit. And what is your problem with touchscreen accuracy? I see no fault there.

I do agree with you regarding the backlight issue. It should have been resolved months ago.

All in all, I have to say that I'm very happy with the Loox and would recommend it over many of the current crop of new Pocket PCs.

hollis_f
03-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Well, to make this thread more balanced: I love every minute of it. :)

It's fast, reliable and small. Ipaq's are bulky, especially if you need a CF-card.

JaapThis must bew some strange new usage of the word 'reliable' I have not previously encountered.

JvanEkris
03-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Hi Hollis !

Good to see you again (since firstloox.org went down), well, considering it is "powered" by microsoft and i only have to give it a soft-reset once every two weeks i see it as rather reliable :) Ipaq's of collegues have to restart every day or so....

Jaap

Ziad.T
03-11-2003, 08:05 PM
I hate my LOOX too !

Poor Battery Life, small screen, awfull BlueTooth application, too slow, etc...

With an iPAQ, ActiveSync by BlueTooth is soooo simple ! And I can't do it on my LOOX :( ! Anyone can help me ?

JvanEkris
03-11-2003, 08:44 PM
try the manual from the Siemens Site, see http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/PDA/Pocket_LOOX_www/GB/Tricks/Bluetooth_ActiveSync/Bluetooth_ActiveSync.htm and http://www.fujitsu-pc-asia.com/support/faq_pl/09_PANconnection.pdf

If you use the right drivers it is easy. The bluetooth implementation of Siemens is far better than the solution HP offers (a lot more profiles). I haven't met a person that couldn't get it working on a clean machine.

Jaap

hollis_f
03-12-2003, 08:34 AM
try the manual from the Siemens Site, see http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/PDA/Pocket_LOOX_www/GB/Tricks/Bluetooth_ActiveSync/Bluetooth_ActiveSync.htm and http://www.fujitsu-pc-asia.com/support/faq_pl/09_PANconnection.pdf

If you use the right drivers it is easy.But if you...

1. Ain't got a Fujitsu Lifebook. Or...
2. Don't download illegal software. Or...
3. Have no idea how to get Plugfree on your desktop. Or...
3. Aren't running Win2K or WinXP

You're stuffed.

bagemk
03-12-2003, 09:40 AM
How can anyone complain about the screen size on a Loox? This is not something you discover whilst using the software - it is a physical aspect visible before you buy!

Personally, I find the smaller profile of the Loox makes it much more of a Pocket PC than the Ipaq.

JvanEkris
03-12-2003, 09:56 AM
I have spoken to Siemens about this. According to the Product manager in the netherlands, you may download Plugfree as you like. THey don't mind. THis is communicated through the helpdesks from day one.

AFAIK, Plugfree works with all CSR-build USB dongles. You can see a list here: http://www.csr.com/applications/qual-usb.htm. As Jorlin and I discovered together about 8 months ago: the plugfree drivers can be loaded for this driver (as long as you DON"T have installed the original drivers).

You can download plugfree with permission of Siemens website here: http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/drivercd/_DriverSteuerung/GB/LIFEBOOK/SSeries/LIFEBOOK_S6010_WinXP.htm

Jaap

stefab
03-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Agree on the fact it's slow and my touchscreen is loosing accuracy over time : As strange as it might sound, it is not as accurate as at the beginning. And I write the same way all along. I had a Palm Vx before and the recognition of characters was flawless.
Plus the GPRS module swindle was too much for me to go back with FS again. Absolutely no chance.

biggus
03-12-2003, 10:38 PM
How can anyone complain about the screen size on a Loox? This is not something you discover whilst using the software - it is a physical aspect visible before you buy!

You would think ;) But I ordered my Loox from Expansys the minute it was available. I don't exactly hate my Loox, but considering the price there's much room for improvement.

bagemk
03-12-2003, 11:34 PM
I ordered my Loox from Expansys the minute it was available. I don't exactly hate my Loox, but considering the price there's much room for improvement

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you fork out £400 (or equiv) for something you have never seen. And then you complain that the screen size is exactly what it is advertised as! You can hardly blame the Loox or Fujitsu-Siemens for that.

I would argue that all Pocket PCs are overpriced. (Heck, I can buy a 1GHz desktop with monitor and software for the same price as a Loox or top-end Ipaq) However, the Loox is pretty good value when compared with the competition. Those that are cheaper do not have the same features.

biggus
03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you fork out £400 (or equiv) for something you have never seen. And then you complain that the screen size is exactly what it is advertised as! You can hardly blame the Loox or Fujitsu-Siemens for that.

Well, apart from the visually detectable problems like screen size and contrast, there are more annoying problems which came up during the every day use. The backlight issue being top one of them. I'm not satisfied because the screen alone, but because of the combination of problems. Heck, for not testdriving it first doesn't automatically mean I can't complain about its problems, does it?

MikeKey
03-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Am I happy? I have mixed feelings about my Loox:

My bro has an iPaq 3950 and the screen is almost enough to make me switch when you compare it to the low-contrast, fairly dim Loox screen. It's much easier to write on an iPaq too - I get a sore hand writing on my Loox because you have to press harder...
I've never experienced the backlight problem though, it's never once misbehaved :D

That said, I like the look and feel of the Loox more, especially with the jog dial and much better joystick. And at least you can use the screen outside too :D

Then there's the fact it has both SD and CF slots which saves you having to swap cards so much.

The built-in Bluetooth is great. It has its faults, (soft reset after a few uses, etc), but I use it all the time for surfing or ActiveSync'ing using my PC, or dialin to work or internet/GPRS using my T68i. (I'm using the TDK USB BT dongle at home, by the way. I tried a cheaper one to start with and had nothing but problems, no ActiveSync, etc. Some manufacturers say they support profiles they actually don't... :evil: )

I love the cradle too, compared to the iPaq one. It's a much more satisfying, positive fit.

My screen scratched quickly though, I've got a fuzzy scratched area in the middle of the letter recognition area after 2 months... should have used screen protection, I know :( Anybody else had this, or know where I can get Loox-specific protectors? Can you polish scratches out?

I like my Loox enough, but I'll probably replace it either when PXA255-based machines are proven or when MS bring out the next version of PPC... Need more speed and a bigger, better screen!

Mike

dMores
03-22-2003, 06:01 PM
regarding the screen size ... it's a NORMAL size, since it's what microsoft "dictated" a pocket pc must have. three-and-a-half-inch.
the only units that don't comply with this "rule" are the ipaqs (3.8") and the toshiba genio something with a whooping 4".

all other pdas in my vicinity (colleagues, friends, etc) are ipaqs, and i have to say i don't find their screens to be any better than my loox's.
maybe direct-sunlight visibility is better, but since i spend most of my time in artificial light (call me a geek :) ) this is a non-issue for me.

but ipaqs are snappier. and i mean the 39xx series, with the xscale cpu.
somehow they feel faster.

even my girlfriend's MDA is more responsive.

but that's just something i have to live with. other than that, i love the loox.

hollis_f
03-24-2003, 02:18 PM
regarding the screen size ... it's a NORMAL size, since it's what microsoft "dictated" a pocket pc must have. three-and-a-half-inch.
the only units that don't comply with this "rule" are the ipaqs (3.8") and the toshiba genio something with a whooping 4".Nope. MS dictate the screen resolution, not the physical size.

And if you can't see the difference between a 39xx screen and the Loox, I can recommend a good optician - 'cause you must need one.

dskeeles
04-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Thought I'd add my 2c worth...

I'm upgrading from a Psion 5mx, which I have set up with a few extra programs, some extra Macros, plus being familiar with it after around 3 years of use.

I've had the Loox for around a month, and I'm probably going to take it back soon. Reasons :

- The Wirefree module shuts down when it goes onto standby. Hence - if you want to do anything with Bluetooth, you switch it on... acknowledge the warning that the module was shut down.. wait for it to shut down and exit - and then run Wirefree to power it up again. Once there, you have to select the device, let it scan for services, then select the service you want. The 60 seconds or so it takes to do all this is way more painful than simply lining up the IR ports on my Psion and phone, and connecting. Seamless, it ain't.

- The well-designed jog dial and joystick are also not quite integrated. For example - try navigating the Control Panel using the joystick. Pressing Up or Down are interpreted as 'forwards' and 'backwards', and it selects the icon before (to the left) or after (to the right), the current one. Wtf?!?!?!? Nice features on the LOOX, but it seems Microsoft don't support them.
- The Jog-dial on the left is also not quite precise in it's motion - I occasionally pushed it down instead of depressing it. A more clean-cut action would help it a lot.

- Using the Loox as an MP3 player - not as practical as I thought. The battery life causes a problem, as does the screen getting pressed while the machine is on. I guess a hard case would help with this.

- Class 1 Bluetooth - nice thought, being able to connect from a distance. In practice, PocketIE is too painful to use for leisurely browsing around the home; there are no public Bluetooth hotspots out yet (and Wi-Fi ones cost more than using GPRS) for use while out and about - and when they are, they'll probably only support the vast majority of Bluetooth devices with a 10m range; and the range is too short for use across my office, where accessing my PC might be useful.

- IR range. I was looking forward to using my LOOX as a replacement for my remote controls. However - range is around 30cm... and you have to hold the thing sideways (IR port is on the left side - normally more useful than those with it on the top, but not for this application).

- Audio profile on Bluetooth - how quickly you get fed up depends on which of the poor audio quality, short battery life, or lack of multitasking on the Bluetooth module, gets to you first. Probably more of a criticism of Bluetooth than the Loox, but the end result is the same.

The other stuff is more a criticism of PocketPC, speaking as a Psion user :

- Battery life - doesn't last the day, vs. Psion lasting the week
- Ruggedness - a little bit more careful than with my Psion
- Web Browser - ouch! Opera for EPOC renders better IMHO, and the wide screen on the Psion allows true displays
- Pocket Word, Excel. Ditto - I found PsiWin and Word/Sheet to render more accurately than PPC.

Please don't hammer me as a Psion advocate, as I'm not out on that particular mission - but obviously, if I'm coming from another PDA, I will relate (perhaps unfairly) my new PDA to previous experiences.

Anyway - the various features that the LOOX specifically offers - Bluetooth, Ergonomic Design with various jog-dials - are great in principle, but haven't been thought all the way through. Simply, all the stuff that it offers over my current PDA seem to be a bit white-elephant-ish.

On the plus side, Pocket Informant 4, which comes free when upgraded from PI3, is great as an integrated organiser, and... there's loads of other stuff that is probably really good.

Like I say, just my 2c...

[d]

dMores
04-07-2003, 09:45 PM
a little grumpy, frank?

dskeeles
04-07-2003, 10:10 PM
a little grumpy, frank?

Coffee machine broke.

dMores
04-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Ruggedness - a little bit more careful than with my Psion[d]
you might want to read this
thread on FSC board (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/ubb-files/Forum5/HTML/000604.html). followed by a funny description of a loox+coffee mishap in this thread on firstloox.org (http://firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=293).

:)

funny stuff. i cracked up, especially the "soup incident" made my tummy hurt!

Looxer
04-16-2003, 09:25 PM
1. The bluetooth implementation has several problems
2. Voice recorder quality very bad
3. Lousy screen tap sensitivity
4. It does warms up after some usage time
5. Screen not as bright as iPaq
6. Sounds not as loud or as good as iPaq
7. Bluetooth can't ActiveSync
8. Flickering screen
9. Backlight that refuses to come on sometimes
10. More errors than I ever had before
11. Battery life, very short

Not satisfied at all :really mad:

:pukeface:

denivan
02-23-2004, 11:42 AM
- The Wirefree module shuts down when it goes onto standby. Hence - if you want to do anything with Bluetooth, you switch it on... acknowledge the warning that the module was shut down.. wait for it to shut down and exit - and then run Wirefree to power it up again. Once there, you have to select the device, let it scan for services, then select the service you want. The 60 seconds or so it takes to do all this is way more painful than simply lining up the IR ports on my Psion and phone, and connecting. Seamless, it ain't.

I've been using a PocketLoox for a week now, to test and install for a client of mine. After half a day I found the option in plugfree to mark it in 'standby' mode. When I leave Plugfree on and shut down the Loox, after starting it again it doesn't give me an error anymore. When I open up TomTom it automatically makes the BT connection to the BT GPS receiver, so I guess this isn't a problem, just a setting.

- Using the Loox as an MP3 player - not as practical as I thought. The battery life causes a problem, as does the screen getting pressed while the machine is on. I guess a hard case would help with this.

This is true with all PocketPC's, although I assume that the Xscale 'power save' setting would help a bit.

- Class 1 Bluetooth - nice thought, being able to connect from a distance. In practice, PocketIE is too painful to use for leisurely browsing around the home; there are no public Bluetooth hotspots out yet (and Wi-Fi ones cost more than using GPRS) for use while out and about - and when they are, they'll probably only support the vast majority of Bluetooth devices with a 10m range; and the range is too short for use across my office, where accessing my PC might be useful.

Then don't use PocketIE, use netfront or so. Don't blame that on the Loox, blame it on MS.

- Battery life - doesn't last the day, vs. Psion lasting the week
- Ruggedness - a little bit more careful than with my Psion
- Web Browser - ouch! Opera for EPOC renders better IMHO, and the wide screen on the Psion allows true displays
- Pocket Word, Excel. Ditto - I found PsiWin and Word/Sheet to render more accurately than PPC.

The Loox I've used needn'ed to be recharged in 2 days with average use. That seems okay to me, no modern device can top that imo. All other problems you mentioned can be resolved by buying a case and 3rd party software.

Ivan