View Full Version : Zune Not Compatible With USB Hubs?

Jason Dunn
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Since pairing my Zune with my Media Center PC, I've been using the front USB port as the connecting port for the Zune cradle, and it's worked perfectly. Today I decided that the USB cable connecting to the front port looked a bit sloppy, so I connected the cradle to a generic 7 port USB hub that I have connected to the back of my Shuttle SN95G5 PC. I connected the Zune to the cradle...and Windows XP started giving me errors about the USB device not being recognized. I tried several other ports on the hub, and all resulted in the same errors. I've since re-arranged my USB devices, moving the wireless mouse/keyboard to the USB hub, freeing up a direct USB port for the Zune - and it's now working just fine. So that makes me wonder if the Zune is one of those devices that just doesn't play nice with USB hubs (like some Pocket PCs and Smartphones). Has anyone has similar problems with their Zune and USB hubs?

Aaron Roma
12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I have connected my Zune through the USB hub built into the Dell UltraSharp monitors without any issue.

David Tucker
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm using a 7 port hub with no problems.

KevinCTofel
12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I've got a 7-port USB hub from Kensington; works fine with the Zune in both XP and Vista RTM.

Jason Dunn
12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, it seems I have a lame hub. :rolleyes:

poxtomod
12-12-2006, 12:29 AM
I think this is an issue with the zune software on initial setup fixing that exact usb port as its home port. All others will give you problems, if anyone wants to verify this, though I think I have, just switch usb plugs and try to use the software. You will most likely get problems. My sony psp does this and when it does it wont even recognize it as a drive destination.
You might have to reinstall the Zune softwre to reset the "determined " usb port. As a note if I move my sync cable to the other front usbport I get errors and problems syncing. I believe your computer starts recognizing the zune and the software then encounters problems with the new hookup location.

mrozema
12-12-2006, 05:25 AM
I've got it plugged in through my Dell 19" Ultrasharp LCD's usb hub without a problem...
As nice as USB may seem on the exterior, it sure does suck when it comes to anything beside the most basic set-ups. I hear horror stories almost every day about what people try to do with our USB-based products.

Jason Dunn
12-12-2006, 06:19 AM
I think this is an issue with the zune software on initial setup fixing that exact usb port as its home port.

No, I don't think that's the problem - once I connected to a full USB port on the back of the PC, it worked just fine.

LPD
12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
I think this is an issue with the zune software on initial setup fixing that exact usb port as its home port. All others will give you problems,...
Not true, that's not how USB works. I have had no problems with a USB hub or moving it around to various USB connectors.

Jason: Does your USB hub have its own power source or is it getting all power from the PC? If it is not self-powered that could be the issue with the hub or like you said, the hub is bad. I don't think its the Zune but I'm sure it draws a lot of power for recharging the battery.

I had similar problems with a hub and external hard drive, everything else worked but the drive. Finally I replaced the hub and everything worked.

Jason Dunn
12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Jason: Does your USB hub have its own power source or is it getting all power from the PC?

It's a fully powered hub, so I don't think power is the issue. It was a fairly cheap one purchased off eBay, so I have a feeling it's not overly compliant or stable with multiple devices.

LPD
12-12-2006, 06:48 PM
My bad hub was from D-Link.

I replaced it with the Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub (<!-- end prod name --><!-- start part num -->Part # F5U237v1) which works well. The two top connections are great for flash drives, security keys, etc. You can stack two of them and the top ports are all accessible. Pic below:

http://images.belkin.com/F5U237/STD1_F5U237.jpg (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=158910#)