View Full Version : Instant E-mail on iPAQ 5450?

debtoine
03-09-2003, 04:38 AM
At my previous job, I had a Blackberry. When I changed jobs, I lost that, and have bought the iPAQ 5450, because of the versatility. However, one thing I miss is the "instant e-mail" that the blackberry gives. Is there any add-on for the 5450 to have this functionality?

Thanks,

Toine

jimski
03-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Well.....you could set the Inbox mail client to retrieve mail every X minutes (the default setting is 15 minutes), but you would need an always on connection to do that.

That means you would either need to keep Bluetooth turned on with a Bluetooth LAN connection or a GPRS connection to a cell phone or keep WiFi turned on and be close enough to a wireless network to maintain a connection.

Even if either of the two options above were available, your battery would die after a couple hours (both Bluetooth and WiFi really draw down the battery). Keeping your 5450 plugged in to AC power would be the only option. Another option would be spare rechargable batteries for the 5450 but they have yet ship (I have been waiting patiently since December).

Yes, I miss my old Palm days where two AAA batteries lasted a couple of weeks, even in my wireless Palm VIIx. I guess what we have here is progress, or is it.

Shadowcat
03-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Well.....you could set the Inbox mail client to retrieve mail every X minutes (the default setting is 15 minutes), but you would need an always on connection to do that.

That means you would either need to keep Bluetooth turned on with a Bluetooth LAN connection or a GPRS connection to a cell phone or keep WiFi turned on and be close enough to a wireless network to maintain a connection.

Even if either of the two options above were available, your battery would die after a couple hours (both Bluetooth and WiFi really draw down the battery). Keeping your 5450 plugged in to AC power would be the only option. Another option would be spare rechargable batteries for the 5450 but they have yet ship (I have been waiting patiently since December).

Yes, I miss my old Palm days where two AAA batteries lasted a couple of weeks, even in my wireless Palm VIIx. I guess what we have here is progress, or is it.

Turn off the backlight. Voila, wireless Palm VIIx with increased functionality :lol: BTW, I know I'm exagerating. This was meant as a joke only :lol: