View Full Version : [ pda ]---[ gomadic ]---[ cell ]

nickl
03-08-2003, 06:41 AM
bought a gomadic comcube and i'm having a hell of a time (actually, haven't been able to) connect using it. i have a Dell X5, LG5350 phone and Sprint PCS Vision service. anybody with a similar configuration, please email me or respond. i'm getting desperate. and yes, i followed the instructions on gomadic support. thanks in advance.

nickl
03-08-2003, 07:50 AM
got it working. i subscribed to earthlink so i could have the cell dialup EL rather than just log on to sprint's connection. does anybody know if this is going to be slower this way?

PetiteFlower
03-08-2003, 08:15 AM
Don't know about speed but I know you'll be using your voice minutes for the calls, and you shouldn't have to. The Vision should give you unlimited data without affecting your voice minutes. I'd call the ComCube tech support and let them talk you through it. This SHOULD work!

nickl
03-08-2003, 08:19 AM
i hear ya, but i did follow the gomadic instructions TO A T and it didn't work. i go out of town on monday and i need connection... darn sprint!

rberry88
03-08-2003, 05:35 PM
I got the Gomadic cable yesterday from them for my LG5350 Sprint phone and my HP5455. Read through the instructions on the website and was connected and surfing in about 15 minutes. I don't know what the difference in configurations between the Dell and the HP but mine was flawless and works great. The speed is actually pretty good, I haven't benchmarked it yet but it seems quite faster than 56k dialup and a little slower than my wireless broadband connection (WiFi). Very pleased and when I showed a few people at work it convinced them they needed new toys to play with.

rberry88 8)

nickl
03-08-2003, 06:03 PM
did you follow the instructions for sprint connection (no username, no password, dial 777, yada yada yada)?

rberry88
03-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I followed them to a T, what I think is the tricky part is setting the PDA connection as a modem connection. I thought at first since I already had a profile for WiFi that a modem profile might muck things up but it didn't. I was able to connect via my Sprint Phone at work and then when I came home I was able to connect to my WiFi by just changing profiles. I would e-mail them and see what they say, whenever I have e-mailed them in the past about information they would respond within a few hours, not sure about weekends though.

Good luck and I hope you get it working because it is 100 times better than surfing the web on you LG5350, and this is from experience. 8)

rberry88

PS: did you make sure you changed your 'Connect Method' on your LG5350 to the RCS232 or whatever??

disconnected
03-08-2003, 07:35 PM
I had trouble setting up my 5350 for the high-speed connection, but Mike Donatello had some instructions on a thread at Brighthand that worked for me --

"To set up the phone, follow these steps:

1) Choose Menu >> 8 >> 9 >> 4. Choose "Connection" (1) and specify "Always." Now choose "Method" (2) and select "RS232C." The default, "USB," will not work with the SupplyNet/iPAQ setup. Finally, choose "Speed" (3) and select "115200 bps."

2) Press "End" to return to the main screen. (Don't hold the key long enough to turn off the phone; the settings you just tweaked return to the defaults when the phone is reset!) Your screen should now say "Data In Always."

3) Hook up the cable and initiate a connection from the iPAQ "Connections" screen. FYI, I could never get the connection to auto-dial by opening a link in PIE before connecting manually.

There you go!

My connection drops constantly, but it always re-connects automatically when data is requested. I thought this was due to poor signal strength in my area, but now I think it's by design: This way, simultaneous accesses to the network are minimized. Let me know if you experience something different."

Actually, I don't think you need to have it set for always on, and usually my auto-dial works by just opening up PIE and requesting a website. The only problem I have is that sometimes instead of re-connecting after a dropped connection it freezes my iPAQ so that I have to do a soft reset. Other than that it works fine, although the whole thing is kind of a pain, and I'd much prefer a bluetooth connection.

nickl
03-08-2003, 07:59 PM
yeah, i did all that. problem is, it seems like it's going to work, and then all of a sudden my LG5350 drops the call after between 6 and 8 seconds. every single time i try to connect (and i've tried like 100 times). i'm wondering if it's something wrong with sprint (go figure).

thanks for all your help.

PetiteFlower
03-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Yeah bluetooth would be nice but it would cost about 3 times more.....I'm going to get one of these when I get paid next Friday so hopefully I'll be able to have some insight for you.

I still think you should call or write Gomatic Nickl, rather then just give up and have to use your voice minutes on it.

nickl
03-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Finally called Gomadic (yeah, I know, I'm lazy). The entire problem boiled down to the fact that I forgot the pound sign when dialing the 777 to access Sprint Vision web. Simple little pound sign. Oh well. Now it's working, and I love it!

PetiteFlower
03-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Woot :) It is really cool I definitely agree!