View Full Version : Getting Automated

Robert
03-07-2003, 10:11 AM
I've posted on this in the Pocket PC Newsgroup without whipping up any interest. But this idea really interests me.

I'm looking for a way of getting my Jornada 565 to do things automatically. I like the idea of it waking itself up a little before I do, hooking up to my ISP, synching e-mails, newsgroups, ativesync etc and then being ready when I want to go out.

Can anyone think of a way of doing this? :?:

rodan
03-07-2003, 11:08 PM
I assume that you're using windows. If so, couldn't you use the event scheduler to kick off the "sync" program that you're using at a specific time? :idea:

mirkazemisaman
03-08-2003, 03:57 AM
sounds like a good idea, but it won't work for me (and most of the people here) since my PPC is not in the cradle most of the times!

PHactotum
03-08-2003, 07:03 AM
You know, it is this kind of automation that PCs and PPCs where meant to do. I shouldn't have to tell it to go do something all the time.

I'm a strong believer in automation and making the PC or PPC work for me and not the other way around :!:

When I was using Mazingo, I had my PC set to automatically grab my daily feed early in the morning. All I then had to do was move the SD card to my PPC and head off to work.

What scheduling software is available for the PPC?

gadfly
03-08-2003, 11:13 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while too. When I had my Jornada 548 and a W2K laptop I used to accomplish the ActiveSync part of this (and thus email, AvantGo, and contacts) by setting a Scheduled Task to wake up my PC first - then a daily, silent PPC alarm to wake up the Jornada and initiate ActiveSync. The only problem then was that I had to close the alarm before I left for work.

This task could also be accomplished by running the EXE (with the correct parameters) at a given time but I don't know of a program that looks at the PPC clock and does this yet. I would also like to find a way to automatically start WiFi on my 5455 and initiate ActiveSync when the iPaq is put in the cradle.