View Full Version : Wireless browsing

Nick
03-07-2003, 07:59 AM
Ive setup a connection that allows bluetooth connection via nokia phone to the internet but cant seem to do the same on my wireless lan connection (5450). Any suggestions?

yschang
03-07-2003, 11:07 AM
uh... that's because your phone doesn't connect your to an DSL or cable modem... so no braodband.

your connection is GSM/GPRS, so no faster than your normal 56K modem... or maybe a little faster...

Nick
03-07-2003, 02:52 PM
sorry - I phrased that badly. wireless connection is to my ISDN connected PC.

PetiteFlower
03-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Do you have a bluetooth adapter on your PC? If not you'd need wifi (card or built in) to connect to an existing wireless network, not bluetooth.

(right?)

Janak Parekh
03-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Indeed -- Nick, you've gotta be much more specific. Do you have a 802.11b base station or adhoc setup? If so, which one? Is WEP enabled? Was it working once before? Did you change any configuration?

--janak

Nick
03-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Sorry Guys, Im not being clear. I was trying to point out that I am ablt to brows the Internet via bluetooth on my5450 and my Nokia. I want to set up browsing via my wireless lan on the 5450 through the access point into my XP desktop to use the ISDN connection. I can do this with my laptop and pc card 802.11b and just want to set up my Ipaq so that I dont have to use the mobile phone's slow connection - ie I want to browse using the IPAQ on an ISDN proxy. I cant do it. Phew!

Janak Parekh
03-07-2003, 08:29 PM
That's a start, but you still need to give more details. Which base station do you have? What happens on the iPaq when you try to configure it? Do you have WEP enabled on your base station? Have you tried turning that off?

--janak

Nick
03-07-2003, 11:49 PM
I have a compaq home gateway with WEP enabled. The IPAQ is able to browse the hard disk on the desktop so the network works OK. The laptop still accesses the Internet via my compaq PC wireless card. I havent tried turning WEP off as it didnt seem necessary if I can browse my desktop.