View Full Version : We're Trying Something New

Jason Dunn
03-07-2003, 09:00 AM
For all news posts today, we're going to try using the MORE feature a lot...more. The goal is to see how well it works if we have the front page contain less text, and make it "lighter" overall. The benefits are much faster front page load time, less load on our server, and a different look on the front page. We'll have a survey at the end of the day to see what you thought about it. Here we go!

pocketpcdude1024
03-07-2003, 01:51 PM
What is the difference between "Full Article Text" and "More"? :?

luebster
03-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Jason, I think it's a terrific idea. Every second counts in page load times. It won't really matter to me however, since I do most of my reading from the "New Posts" page. :wink:

Keep up the great work! :way to go:

PJE
03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi,

As I read most of PpcT on a 56K modem during the day and cable at night thus I have the following issues:

1. 56K modem takes much longer loading pictures than text, so it would be better to leave pictures off the front page rather than text.

2. Cable is fast enough to load both (in full).

3. On both systems it seems wastefull to jump to another page to read the text and then another for the discussion.

In conclusion I feel the [more...] page is of no use, and should just jump to the first page of the discussion where the full text is normally available thus [More on discussion page...] would be preferable if you are going to edit down the front page content.

My 2c

PJE

van_mierlo
03-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Jason,

Why don't you have the "more" function go directly to the forum...the whole text is located there too....One less step unless you know to click on replies on the bottom of the article.

pschultz
03-07-2003, 02:42 PM
I am ok with the "MORE" function on the front page, but could you ateast make the mobile version so you don't have to click "MORE". Thanks

Gordo
03-07-2003, 03:02 PM
I use klipfolio, so I would want the full text in the pop-up window, so I can preview the content.

I would like to have the vote at the beginning of the day: My vote is “Less More is more”. Translation: I don’t like the use of “more”

Jason Dunn
03-07-2003, 03:58 PM
How about you all wait to see how the day unfolds before complaining that you don't like it? Thanks.

Arne Hess
03-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Why don't you have the "more" function go directly to the forum...the whole text is located there too....One less step unless you know to click on replies on the bottom of the article.
You can do it anyhow: Click "[more]" to read the full article only or click "Discuss this story" to go to the forum, read the article and see the comments/post your comments.

PJE
03-07-2003, 04:47 PM
You can do it anyhow: Click "[more]" to read the full article only or click "Discuss this story" to go to the forum, read the article and see the comments/post your comments.

So why complicate matters? There may be a slight difference in download time, but the [more...] pages have additional graphics at the bottom which probably offsets any benefit.

PJE

Jason Dunn
03-07-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm locking this thread because I'd much rather have you express your opinion AFTER you see what we're trying, rather than BEFORE. That, and I'm about to lose my temper with people in this thread.