View Full Version : .NET Compact Framework Everywhere

Andy Sjostrom
03-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Here are three new .NET Compact Framework resources for you, right from the oven! First, we have a webcast<!>: <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/upcoming/1737.asp">"Architect Webcast: Designing Integrated Pocket PC Applications with .NET Compact Framework</a>. It is a live event in which I and Chris Forsberg will give a presentation. It is March 13, 2003 - 11:00am to 12:30pm Pacific Time / 2:00pm Eastern Time.<br /><br />Second, Microsoft has just published a very nice <a href="http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/CompactFramework/">.NET Compact Framework QuickStart Tutorial</a> with lots of sample code. Be sure to add that to your favorites!<br /><br />Third, my latest MSDN artice was recently published. It is called <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnppc2k2/html/ppcdatabase.asp">"Database Development for Windows Powered Pocket PC Phone Edition"</a>. I actually wrote it a while ago, so it is nice to see it live!

David McNamee
03-07-2003, 02:07 AM
It's a great article Andy - thanks for writing it. It's very timely for me. I'm building a demo this weekend for a Monday morning meeting, and I'm sure I'll be reading your article at least twice more :D

Danimal
03-07-2003, 06:08 AM
I don't know if it is a problem with the beta of the .NET compact framework, but I have not been able to get any XML programs to run. I have successfully run the same program on an older PPC, running an older version of Windows CE. Any programs I write not dealing with XML work fine.

What could be wrong?

Jimmy Dodd
03-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Really looking forward to the webcast. There is an increase in information starting to appear on the CF tools that never really happened with the Embedded Tools. I hope Microsoft continues to push development on CF and provides us a few more tools to ease quick development of some of the more essoteric features of PPC development (such as ActiveSync).

JonathanWardRogers
03-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Why, oh why!!! I am a huge fan of VS.NET, and was thrilled when I got the .NET CF. And then...

Sorry all you developers who paid good money for VS.NET. No CF for you any more unless you upgrade to VS.NET 2003!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :evil: :x :!:

Jimmy Dodd
03-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Why, oh why!!! I am a huge fan of VS.NET, and was thrilled when I got the .NET CF. And then...

Sorry all you developers who paid good money for VS.NET. No CF for you any more unless you upgrade to VS.NET 2003!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :evil: :x :!:

I thought the Smart Device Extensions were still available for download from MS (for free) for VS.NET (2002 version).

JonathanWardRogers
03-07-2003, 05:37 PM
I thought the Smart Device Extensions were still available for download from MS (for free) for VS.NET (2002 version).

Nope. Only for VS.NET 2003. And only MSDN Universal subscribers can download VS.NET 2003. Those of us with MSDN Professional subscriptions are SOL.

Programmer
03-07-2003, 06:52 PM

Nope. Only for VS.NET 2003. And only MSDN Universal subscribers can download VS.NET 2003. Those of us with MSDN Professional subscriptions are SOL.

I don't mean to rub this in your face but we are Universal subscribers and I downloaded VS.NET 2003 last week. 8) OK maybe I did want to rub your face in it. :twisted:

Robert

JonathanWardRogers
03-07-2003, 07:34 PM
OK maybe I did want to rub your face in it. :twisted:

Robert

:-P :cry:

William Yeung
03-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Well its on VS.NET 2003, but also something important to note: VS.NET 2003 release will only charge existing VS.NET customer for shipping cost to upgrade, I remember I read that on those VS.NET news and roadmap thing, so MS is not going to kill you for this development package coming.

Peter Foot
03-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Well its on VS.NET 2003, but also something important to note: VS.NET 2003 release will only charge existing VS.NET customer for shipping cost to upgrade, I remember I read that on those VS.NET news and roadmap thing, so MS is not going to kill you for this development package coming.

Yes, they quote a version upgrade (2002-2003) of a mere $29 dollars, presumably more details will become available for ordering on release

lderooy
04-30-2003, 01:28 AM
I'm still waiting to get a copy of Visual Studio, but I saw this article in my recent copy of VisualStudio Magazine titled "Create a Standalone PocketPC App". It's written by Bill Wagner and comes with sample code.

http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2003_05/online/wagner2/

cleamon
07-09-2003, 06:42 PM

I don't mean to rub this in your face but we are Universal subscribers and I downloaded VS.NET 2003 last week. 8) OK maybe I did want to rub your face in it. :twisted:

Robert

Well, we are Professional subscribers and we downloaded it while waiting for the CD/DVDs to arrive! :?