View Full Version : My Screen Died

George H.
03-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Last night, when I removed my 7-month-old e740 from the cradle, the screen activated, but instead of displaying the Today screen, the screen was white. I tried powering off and on, soft resetting, and hard resetting--no difference.

I called Toshiba's tech support this morning, and they're FedExing me a return carton so they can repair the machine. (It's still under warranty, of course.)

Anyone else had this or a similar problem?

Lday
04-12-2003, 03:36 PM
I know this is a little late, but I just started browsing this forum. I had a similar problem, mine had the white screen after taking it out of my pocket at noon last week. Toshiba sent the box, I returned it and 2 days later got a call from a "Supervisor" saying it was "damaged" and would cost me $129 to replace it! Hockey-pucks! How can a screen just get "damaged" by carrying it in my pocket? The top glass/touch-screen is fine, there is no vivible evidence of damage to the LCD, yet it is "damaged"?!? This "Supervisor" said he would get more information and get back to me, that was 4 days ago, still waiting. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

EcS
04-30-2003, 07:48 PM
The "screen dead" thing happened to me 3 weeks after my wife gave me the Toshiba e740. Took it back to BestBuy & they don't carry it anymore so I took the refund.

Now I'm gun-shy about buying an e740 from an online retailer or even buying Toshiba at all. I'm new to pocketPC, and I love the built in 802.11 of the Toshiba, but now I'm unsure of what to buy...

azhiker
05-01-2003, 11:11 PM
My E310 screen did more than die, I killed it. I did not see it was under my knee on my car seat when I looked for something on the floor. Screen cracked. I heard a crunch! I sent it to Toshiba and had it back in two days. So, screens can die but Toshiba seemed very responsive in getting it back. It is fixed now and running fine, but it did cost me $129! Still, that's cheaper than a new PPC. :)

Keystone
05-09-2003, 12:51 AM
I had a similar experience around New Years. The fault was the Pocket Solutions' Cover-up. Instead of protecting the PDA's screen it's poor design actually crushed it. The fault was the padding that is cut to the dimensions of the display. It's a stupid design since when the Cover-Up is closed this 'padding' places the full forces of the lid against the display.... In my pocket, the Cover-Up pushed in the display and left it in that solid white phase. The Pocket-Solutions Cover-Up is a Horrendous product.

Luckily the store that the e740 came from exchanged it for a new unit. For the Cover-Up, I've since removed the screen crushing pad and applied thin sections of foam that make contact around the edges of the display and the Cover-Up lid, now leaving the screen protected as I'd expect it to be.

Unfortunately I lacked the time to complain directly to Pocket Solutions.