View Full Version : Want to view live composite video on an iPaq (or other)

kzemach
03-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Got a question: I need to kludge something together that combines a small video camera linked over 50-70 feet to a small LCD screen. It MUST be lightweight and field-portable. I've been able to easily do it with a portable DVD player as the viewer, since it's got composite video in. The portable TVs will work as well. However, the size of a PDA is ideal.

Does anyone know of a card, be it SD, CF, or PCMCIA and associated software that will allow me to view the video on a pda. Resolution and refresh rate (i.e. total quality) is less important than actually getting it to work: I'm willing to sacrifice quality for size in moving from a DVD/TV to a pda.

Thanks...

Pony99CA
03-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know of a card, be it SD, CF, or PCMCIA and associated software that will allow me to view the video on a pda. Resolution and refresh rate (i.e. total quality) is less important than actually getting it to work: I'm willing to sacrifice quality for size in moving from a DVD/TV to a pda.
If a sleeve will be acceptable, check out the FlyJacket (http://www.lifeview.com.tw/eng/pro_ia_fyjacket.html).

Steve

kzemach
03-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting; wonder why I didn't cross over it. Not sure that'll be a good solution, but I'll look at it. Problems are that it looks like it adds considerable bulk, and has yet ANOTHER battery we'd have to deal with. Yeesh. We were going to connect the PPC to an external battery source, but this would entail TWO of those full time.

Thanks for the link, we'll check it out, but it's probably a no-go.

Chris Spera
03-05-2003, 05:59 PM
...We were going to connect the PPC to an external battery source, but this would entail TWO of those full time...

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Most Sleeves have a AC in. You should be able to plug the AC Adapter into your external battery source and power both from the single connection. I charge my 3955 and 5455 in my PC Card Sleeve at home this way.

the Fly Jacket is a good video solution. Yes, it does add considerable bulk to the overall package, but its manageable IMHO.

Christopher Spera

kzemach
03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Anyone know if it has a DC connector/input as well? AC is a no-go; got to be portable, and the lighter and smaller the better; if it gets too large a solution, we'll either stay with the LCD mini TV answer, or do a custom job with a small LCD. Without spilling the beans too much, assume that it needs to be used away from AC power (but can recharge from a 12V source when necessary) for days to weeks. Like, for instance, in Afghanistan.

Thanks for all the help so far! (Still can't believe there ain't a CF card to do this; there's an FM radio, for Pete's sake!)

Ken

kzemach
03-05-2003, 09:18 PM
I'm an idiot. Looked through the Flycam site, and found exactly what I was looking for (well, SD would have been nice, but we can't have it all, can we?)

http://www.lifeview.com.tw/eng/pro_ia_video.html

Video through the CF.... sweet!