View Full Version : Cheap CF @ Best Buy

nickl
03-04-2003, 07:38 PM
I just bought a 128Mb CompactFlash manufactured by PNY at my local Best Buy for just $39.99, plus I got a mail-in rebate for another $10. $29.99 for 128Mb is pretty hard to beat, isn't it? The Sandisk 128Mb CF was $59.99 in the same store.

This poses the question (pardon if I am overlooking the archives), is there a difference, really, when you get right down to it, between one CF and another? Am I going to regret this purchase or regret not buying 10 of them?

Jason Dunn
03-04-2003, 10:05 PM
For Pocket PC use, no, there's not really much difference from brand to brand. If you were doing pro-level photography, I'd say that brand matters, but if it's a matter of listening to audio & playing games off the card, even the most sluggish memory card can dish up enough speed for those tasks.

pepemosca
03-04-2003, 11:23 PM
For Pocket PC use, no, there's not really much difference from brand to brand. If you were doing pro-level photography, I'd say that brand matters, but if it's a matter of listening to audio & playing games off the card, even the most sluggish memory card can dish up enough speed for those tasks.

Good to know Jason. :D

Does the same thing happend with SD cards?
I mean, the speed of the card doesn't matter for MP3, Video playback or game playing?

AZMark
03-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Some of the low cost CF cards have been known to put out a bit of RF noise, puttling a little bit of a buzz in audio playback. Never had it happen to me, but I have seen it posted a couple of times.

Mark

nickl
03-08-2003, 06:43 AM
i've been listening to music off this PNY CF for a few days now without problems. i have seen 128mb CFs go for upwards of 70 bucks at circuit city and office max, don't know how best buy can charge $39 (plus $10 mail-in rebate), but it seems pretty hard to beat. jump on it.

Brad Adrian
03-08-2003, 06:45 AM
I've seen much less variability between CF cards than I have with SD cards. I'm not sure why, but I've had much more trouble with bad SD cards than CF; I will never buy another SanDisk SD card again.