View Full Version : Do Screen Blankers for MP3s Make That Much Difference?

MLO
03-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I recently discovered the wonders of MP3's on my Toshiba e335 and was wondering if the programs that blank the screen during playback make that much difference in terms of power consumption.

I had no idea that MP3's on such a small device would sound so good! For some reason I expected them to be tinny and crackly.

MLO

bobkatt
03-04-2003, 05:08 PM
You will save your batteries and provide a longer listening time by blanking the screen. If your screen defaults to 50% brightness or higher then this time gained will be significant.

Some programs like
withmp3 (http://www.han-d-solutions.com/withmp3.htm) have a button mapping feature that allows you to assign the screen blanking feature called "screen Switching". This allows blanking without additional software taking up memory that can be used to load and buffer the music for better playing quality.

Hope this helps a little.

Rirath
03-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Short answer: YES.
The screen draws battery life more than anything, flat out.

By the way, you can blank the screen using the default Media Player as well. It's in a thread around here somewhere, but it's easy to do. Just go to the options and map "screen toggle" to a button.

Now do yourself a favor and look into WinamPaq (freeware) and .Ogg files.

Vincent M Ferrari
03-04-2003, 09:27 PM
By the way, you can blank the screen using the default Media Player as well. It's in a thread around here somewhere, but it's easy to do. Just go to the options and map "screen toggle" to a button.

That was the only reason I was keeping Pocketmusic. It is now gone. Thanks so much for freeing up some RAM for me :-)

spinedoc
03-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Kick a$$ tip bro, thanx much. This is great for the gym.

Short answer: YES.
The screen draws battery life more than anything, flat out.

Now do yourself a favor and look into WinamPaq (freeware) and .Ogg files.