View Full Version : Can't seem to Backup my Axim...

syphix
03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
It seems my Axim CONTINUALLY fails when I try to backup...even to an empty 256mb SD card. Is there another way other than using the supplied backup software within PocketPC 2002?

Jason Dunn
03-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Yeah, the Dell backup software is a little...odd.

The best backup software on the market IMO:

www.spritesoftware.com

StarkAZ75
03-04-2003, 01:57 AM
I always back mine up with ActiveSynch, and I've never had a problem. The first time I back up takes forever, of course, but I still remember trying to back up my old Casio E-115 with just a seriel cable. I laugh at people who say the Axim's data transfer is slow.

PetiteFlower
03-04-2003, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I use activesync to backup too, I don't bother with Dell's backup utility.

KiLLiN-TiMe
03-04-2003, 05:22 AM
i use the dell backup program. i prefer it because there have been times when i have been messing around and really hosed my system. and im not always at home when this happens. its just nice to have it with me, and has come in handy more than once.

here is what i do.

First... set your power settings so that your axim wont shut off in the middle of the backup and you dont have to keep tapping the screen to keep it awake.
Second... I have found it doesn't like things running in the background. what i do is use the task switcher to close all running apps then close the switcher. then the backup should work fine.

Hope this helps. :D

Brad Adrian
03-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Specifically what kind of error or message are you receiving?

crispeto
03-04-2003, 06:39 AM
I only have problems when I back up to an SD card. But when I use a CF card, it works great!

syphix
03-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Specifically what kind of error or message are you receiving?It looks as if it's working, gets to about 40-50%, then faults, with a popup box saying "Backup failure!", and that's it.

matthiasm
03-04-2003, 10:10 PM
I have exactly the same failure.
The backup looks as if it works, but when it reaches 52 % I get the same failure message.

Anybody else has an idea?

KiLLiN-TiMe
03-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Mine would do the same thing. however i found that if i did a soft reset then opened up the dell task switcher and killed anything that was running then exited the task switcher... it would work fine.

i could only assume that something is running in the background, or was running in the background, and part of its files were in use.

if i did the things i mentioned earlier in this forum it would work fine. if i didn't it would fail part way through.

syphix
03-05-2003, 03:12 AM
Nope...everything is quit. In fact, I tried the "soft reset" suggestion, and it STILL fails half-way thru.