View Full Version : Where the $#%$ does Active Sync store backups?

67stang
03-03-2003, 06:10 PM
A month or so ago the battery drained out on my Tosh e740... so i lost everything in memory, but i learned my lesson and started backing up.

Well every damn day Active Sync shows me its backing up... so this weekend the battery drained to zero again. No worries, right? I have a backup.

Go to backup and ActiveSync says it cant find the damn file at the default location.!?! Any ideas where it could be? what is the file name?

thanks

67stang
03-03-2003, 06:53 PM
30 people have view this thread, and no one knows???

Steven Cedrone
03-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Go into ActiveSync, tell it to do a backup, and see where it wants to put it (you should see all of your backups there). Then cancel and point ActiveSync to that directory for a restore...

Steve

67stang
03-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Go into ActiveSync, tell it to do a backup, and see where it wants to put it (you should see all of your backups there). Then cancel and point ActiveSync to that directory for a restore...

Steve

ya but thats the problem Steve. It has a default location, but then it says there are no backups there. I dont know if the directory is different now that my PPC reset and thus active sync had to reconfigure, or if genuinely there are no backups on my computer.

What i'd like to do is find out what the name of the backup file is, or the extension, and search my computer for it.

Steven Cedrone
03-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Let me ask you this: how were you backing up? You would manually go into ActiveSync and start a backup???

Steve

My backups have the .stg extension...

67stang
03-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Let me ask you this: how were you backing up? You would manually go into ActiveSync and start a backup???

Steve

My backups have the .stg extension...

steve,
no i had active sync options set to backup upon connection. i will search for .stg files...

Dave Beauvais
03-03-2003, 07:37 PM
On Windows 2000 and XP systems, backups are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\[PPC Name]\backup.stg . On Windows 9x systems, that will be in C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\[PPC Name]\backup.stg. "[Profile Name]" is the username that you log into the machine with. "[PPC Name]" is the name of your Pocket PC. For me, that would be "DAVEH5455," for example.

If you had to create a new partnership after the hard reset, copy the backup file from your old partnership folder on the PC into the new one. That should allow you to restore the backup.

Incidentally, you have to give people time to respond to your posts; less than one hour isn't long enough to wait, no matter how many people may have viewed the post. Often, since it's the middle of the day on a work day, I'll browse through the new posts, but won't have time to reply until later in the day. Especially on a Monday. Give people some time and someone will respond.

--Dave

ux4484
03-03-2003, 07:55 PM

Incidentally, you have to give people time to respond to your posts; less than one hour isn't long enough to wait, no matter how many people may have viewed the post. Often, since it's the middle of the day on a work day, I'll browse through the new posts, but won't have time to reply until later in the day. Especially on a Monday. Give people some time and someone will respond.
--Dave

heh.....not to mention that 10 of the 30 times someone visited was likely you checking to see if anyone had.

I have a dedicated 64 meg CF card I use just for weekly full backups in addition to having it on my PC, better safe than sorry.

67stang
03-04-2003, 12:55 AM

--Dave

heh.....not to mention that 10 of the 30 times someone visited was likely you checking to see if anyone had.

I have a dedicated 64 meg CF card I use just for weekly full backups in addition to having it on my PC, better safe than sorry.

Nope, i didn't stuff the ballot box, just looked at the 'number of reply' count in the index of threads.

but thanks to all who responded!

Steven Cedrone
03-04-2003, 08:29 AM
So? Did you find your backups?

Just curious...

Steve