View Full Version : Pocket PCs In A Novell GroupWise Setting

Ed Hansberry
03-03-2003, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/gwmag/features/a_pocketpc_for_groupwise_gw.html">http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/gwmag/features/a_pocketpc_for_groupwise_gw.html</a><br /><br />If your company has Novell GroupWise, this article by Novell may be able to help you get up and running with your Pocket PC.<br /><br />"Pocket PC devices are among the most connected PDAs available. Now, you can make your mobile workers more productive than ever by giving them secure access to GroupWise® right from their Pocket PCs. With Novell partner solutions, GroupWise customers can deliver secure, mobile access to GroupWise right from Pocket PC PDAs. The result: enhanced productivity for the mobile workforce and increased return on their investment in GroupWise."

ux4484
03-03-2003, 08:02 PM
heh......day late and a dollar short for me, at work we're dropping Groupwise mid-year, not that it would matter much as we have mostly Palm users at work.

szamot
03-03-2003, 08:07 PM
...and I thought Red was dead. We are dropping the rest of our Novell stuff by the end of the year. Thank god. Looks like Palm and Novell should get together and throw a party for their own demise.

T

ricksfiona
03-03-2003, 08:28 PM
I think Novell is great. Set it up and leave it alone. I want technology to work for me, not the other way around.

Getting the PocketPC to work with GroupWise however is not for the faint of heart. But, we're talking about getting a Microsoft product to work with another vendor.... So who's REALLY at fault here.

I haven't tried the PocketPC to access an Exchange server, but accessing GroupWise through it's wireless portable is very good. Fast and efficient.

CTSLICK
03-03-2003, 08:41 PM
I hope this works better than the desktop sync solution. I gotta tell ya...PocketPC + Groupwise 5.5 + Intellisync has been nothing but an unstable, unreliable piece of junk with so many "yes it will do that but..." caveats that is ceased to be worth my time.

I know my IT people keeping singing Groupwises praise but from the stupid end user point of view (that's me by the way :wink: ) I'll take Outlook ANY day of the week.

warptime
03-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Throw in an HP e-pc with the HP Jornada 548 PocketPC, Gropewise, and UnIntellisync and you can forget about syncronization. The e-pc has a USB problem and it becomes un-usable. We got one of the Dells to try out and it is stable on the e-pc USB port so the problem appears to be just with the 548. The "New HP" tech support was useless. Now that the Dell works, I have not been able to get Unintellisync to install. That may be just fine though cause I never could get more than calendar syncing with the Jornada (prior to the e-pc).

The two solutions listed in the article seem to center on wireless. If they work 'in the cradle', the information is buried further than I read. Sure would be nice to have a solution that worked :cry:

I tried a solution by ?RiverRunSoftware? and it was lacking a lot of control, though it was a little more stable than UnIntellisync. It could not handle the Reminder Notes properly and a few other things.

Our IT dept loves Gropewise cause 'it isn't a Mircosoft product'. As another stupid end user, I would take Outlook any day also!

[lurk_mode = on]

Kathy_Harris
03-04-2003, 01:47 AM
We are forced to use groupstupid here and I wouldn't want it near my pocket pc. I just sync at home and hope that groupstupid reminds me of my meetings BEFORE the meeting takes place. What kind of email client doesn't let you forward more than one message at a time? And not to mention that archiving recently became searchable. The only reason groupstupid is out there is because these companies figured out that a file server and messaging system seem to go hand in hand.... so those Novell goons had to come out with a messaging system. Ugh.