View Full Version : 512MB Panasonic Secure Digital Problems

Omikron
03-03-2003, 10:25 AM
I just bought a brand spanking new Panasonic 512MB Secure Digital card for my iPAQ 5455 and it's driving me absolutely crazy. I have an Abit Media XP drive that has a SD/MS/CF reader and here are my experiences so far:

1. SD Is Emtpy: Windows reports blank and 491 free space. PPC reports same.

2. Files written from Desktop to SD. Destkop shows file and folder correctly, reports proper space free. PPC shows corrupted directory structure and incorrect space free (should be about 100mb but shows 2mb). Back in desktop: corrupted. says card is write protected when it isn't.

3. Files written from Desktop to SD. Desktop shwos file and folders correctly, reports proper space free. Safely Eject Hardware is selected. PPC now shows correct space free but file structure is still corrupted. Back in desktop: corrupted. says card is write protected.

This is driving me CRAZY. I ordered this card directly from Panasonic and I feel violated. Has anyone experienced similar troubles.

PS. I have DISABLED "Delayed Write" in windows XP.

FredMurphy
03-03-2003, 11:46 AM
A couple of suggestions - they may be blindingly obvious and you've probably tried them already.

Have you done a full format of the card from your desktop?
Tried error checking (Right-click drive in XP then Properties / Tools)?
Any driver updates for your card reader?

I feel violated.
8O I understand why you're not happy but that sounds a little extreme! Wait to see how Panasonic handle customer complaints first.

Omikron
03-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Check.
Tried error checking (Right-click drive in XP then Properties / Tools)?
Check.
Any driver updates for your card reader?
Check.

I assure you I'm reasonably experienced in the area. That's why its driving me crazy. Any seasoned computer techs out there will know the frustration I speak of.

I'm going to call Panasonic in a few hours and see what they think.

I feel violated.
8O I understand why you're not happy but that sounds a little extreme! Wait to see how Panasonic handle customer complaints first.
Let's see, I'm a college student that is paying their own out of state tution that dished out almost 400 bucks for a little piece of plastic the size of a stamp that refuses to do what its supposed to..........HOW SHOULD I FEEL?

PetiteFlower
03-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Well I won't mention how I think you should feel after having spent $400 on a little piece of plastic ;)

I can understand feeling frustrated, but until you've called panasonic I can't see anything more then that....in all likelihood, when you call them they will be perfectly happy to replace your disc and then you will feel better :) Technology doesn't always work the way it's supposed to, that should be expected. As long as the maker of the technology is willing to put things right, you shouldn't get too upset.

Now if you call Panasonic and they tell you to @%&* off, then you can feel violated ;)

Pony99CA
03-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Check.

Did you format the card using FAT 16 or FAT 32? Windows may format using NTFS by default, but the Pocket PC OS won't recognize that. Attempting to use it in your device could well cause problems.

The Pocket PC OS uses FAT 16 by default, but supposedly can handle FAT 32 (although some digital cameras and other operating systems may not recognize that).

Steve

Janak Parekh
03-03-2003, 04:35 PM
omikron,

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I use three machines with SD readers, and one of the three constantly thinks my Lexar SD card is corrupt, even though the other two machines and my Pocket PC itself perceive it fine.

I'm not sure all desktop readers can safely handle 512MB SD cards. Is there another machine/device you can try it out with?

--janak

Omikron
03-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Check.

Did you format the card using FAT 16 or FAT 32? Windows may format using NTFS by default, but the Pocket PC OS won't recognize that. Attempting to use it in your device could well cause problems.

The Pocket PC OS uses FAT 16 by default, but supposedly can handle FAT 32 (although some digital cameras and other operating systems may not recognize that).

Steve

I have tried EVERY format available, including various clusture sizes. I have even loaded up WinHex and manually wrote 00's across the entire card, restoring it to pre-shipping non-formatted state. Still teh same problems.

Bearjaw
03-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Jeez it seems you have tried everything...Now make sure the card is in the same format it came from the carton it came in...insert it in the PPC first then try using it in the computer. I dont know why this works but it worked for me. Just trying to help... Jeff

vincentsiaw
03-03-2003, 06:45 PM
If his card is sandisk card, you can imagine what response people have in this forum :twisted:

itsme123
03-04-2003, 05:57 PM
One last attemt. Try using Flash Format (at Handango or PocketGear) and format the card in PPC and then try it again. Hope this helps.

Mike