View Full Version : Voltage in Middle East & Europe Question

mashtim
03-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Does anybody know if auto lighters in the Middle East (Egypt & Israel) and Europe (Switzerland/Germany/Czech Republic) are the same voltage as those in the U.S. ? Specifically, I was wondering if the auto adapter that came with my Socket BT GPS unit will be usable abroad. If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to purchase one that will be usable?
Thanks!

Fishie
03-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Does anybody know if auto lighters in the Middle East (Egypt & Israel) and Europe (Switzerland/Germany/Czech Republic) are the same voltage as those in the U.S. ? Specifically, I was wondering if the auto adapter that came with my Socket BT GPS unit will be usable abroad. If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to purchase one that will be usable?
Thanks!

They are the same.

xendula
03-02-2003, 05:00 PM
They are the same voltage in Europe BUT, whenever I try to use an American car charger in my German car, it keeps falling out. It might be that ours are longer or something, I'm not sure.
Maybe it's just my car (VW)? Anybody else ever tried it?

vincentsiaw
03-02-2003, 08:04 PM
They are the same voltage in Europe BUT, whenever I try to use an American car charger in my German car, it keeps falling out. It might be that ours are longer or something, I'm not sure.
Maybe it's just my car (VW)? Anybody else ever tried it?

it's because some newer german made car is using 24 volt electrical system, and american car using only 12 volt system, thats why you migh burst your car charger fuse.

xendula
03-03-2003, 10:56 AM
some newer german made car is using 24 volt electrical system, and american car using only 12 volt system, thats why you migh burst your car charger fuse.

That's not really what I meant, but, goodness!! I'll check some cars later on today and "report" back on the voltage. So I guess in that case he needs to use a European car charger for the PPC? Or what else would be the solution?

torgamm
03-03-2003, 01:44 PM
I bought a long time ago (in a European Store) a Compaq Ipaq car adapter to charge my Casio.
It was sold with a plastic ring : the notice said it should be used with large auto lighters in which it may not fit.