View Full Version : anybody use wireless internet cables?

nickl
03-01-2003, 10:42 PM
PocketSolutions sells a "Dell Axim Wireless Internet Cable" for select phones.

you can see it here > http://www.thepocketsolution.com/dellwireless.htm

anybody have one of these? are they worth it? can you use it with sprint?

thanks

TheBacklash
03-02-2003, 12:58 AM
now this may be worth getting.... And they make one for my phone. 8)

dartman
03-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Wonder why no Nokia phones?

dart

shawnc
03-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Whats the "gotcha"? You mean I can use this cable to get internet access on my Dell without additional equipment or a new ISP? Seems to good to be true.

QYV
03-02-2003, 10:21 PM
I just purchased what appears to be an identical cable from here:

http://www.gomadic.com/delaxx5adtom.html

The advantage to Gomadic is that if you upgrade your Pocket PC or phone, they will exchange your cable for one that fits your new device for free!

I use Verizon Wireless, and they have a service where you can get a 14.4 connection without needing a separate ISP and there's no charge except for the minutes (comes out of your voice minute pool). Personally, this is wonderful for me, since I don't use my phone much for voice and can sync e-mail over 14.4 pretty nicely. I've been using it for almost a year with my previous PPC (an iPAQ) and loved it, and it works great with the Axim as well. If you're after more robust access, you can try their Express Network plan which is 1xRTT technology and supposedly offers speeds of between 56K and 144K. They have Express Network plans that use voice minutes as well as ones that charge by the MB. Too expensive for my needs right now, but it's very tempting.

As far as other carriers go, I have no personal experience with Sprint, but several folks on the Dell hardware forum seemed pretty happy with a Vision plan that Sprint offers. There are also GPRS plans (T-mobile, Cingular and ATT) which as far as I know require no additional ISP, charge by MB only and reportedly average 40-50K.

TheBacklash
03-02-2003, 10:36 PM
The advantage to Gomadic is that if you upgrade your Pocket PC or phone, they will exchange your cable for one that fits your new device for free!

If you read the page, the same goes for this cable.

Exchange any Phone to PDA cable for free when you change phones or PDAs

And BTW, the pocketsolution cable and the gomadic cable you refer too, is the same brand. Gomadic.

TheBacklash
03-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Wonder why no Nokia phones?

dart

I think Nokia uses IR instead of having a serial-type connection on their phones...

Well Gomadic does list a pin out for the 5100-6100 nokia phones, and sells an adapter for it as well. Don't know what that means... but I thought I'd better correct myself before someone else did. :lol:

Underwater Mike
03-02-2003, 10:54 PM
And BTW, the pocketsolution cable and the gomadic cable you refer too, is the same brand. Gomadic.

You're right: They're just reselling the Gomadic ComCube, which is excellent, BTW, especially for those of us stuck with non-Bluetooth-enlightened carriers.

TheBacklash
03-04-2003, 02:03 AM
Forgot to mention that I did in fact buy this setup for my Dell over the weekend... It's on the way so I'll let you know how it works.

Now I can surf the net and get my E-mail at work 8) something I am currently not allowed to do, and no Wi-Fi signals anywhere near me that I could "borrow" :twisted: (not that I would do such a thing :roll: )

nickl
03-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Backlash,

You'll still need to dial up, right? Who's your ISP?

PetiteFlower
03-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Well I have Sprint Vision so I shouldn't have to dial up, the phone itself should act as the ISP. I think Backlash has the same? In which case definitely let me know how it works!

nickl
03-04-2003, 07:42 PM
waitaminute... so if i trade in my current non-vision-enabled sprint pcs phone in for a new vision-enabled sprint phone, and use one of these dell-to-cellphone cables, i can surf the web without going through a dial-up isp? i can stay online permanently? 8O

PetiteFlower
03-04-2003, 09:46 PM
In theory, though if you abuse it too much Sprint will probably smack you. They DO monitor bandwidth. But yes you should be able to use your phone as a wireless net source to a laptop or PDA, without using your voice minutes up. Unlimited Wireless Web, free for first 3 months and $10 a month after that.

TheBacklash
03-05-2003, 01:44 AM
no you do not need another ISP.

If you go to the Gomadic Support page (http://www.gomadic.com/support.html) you can see just how to set up your PDA with your Wireless phone.

I have the spiffy new Motorola 720 with Verizon. As long as I read it correctly, I already pay for the Wireless web package, which allows me to take the Dell online, with no extra gotchas....

It's still in the mail... I expect it here thursday, odds are it will show up *next* thursday and require 8 peices of ID and a note from mommy before I can get it from the mailman... :roll:

QYV may be able to answer the question better, since he already has his cable.

nickl
03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
i just ordered the gomadic cable for my LG phone, and upgraded to PCS Vision on my Sprint plan. i'll let you know how it goes, and thanks for your help.

nickl
03-06-2003, 04:11 PM
just got gomadic's comcube this morning, and i ordered it last night at about 5pm!

i have sprint pcs, and vision, but i'm having problems logging on using my lg5350. keeps dropping the call after 6 seconds.

will keep playing around with it...

Underwater Mike
03-06-2003, 04:17 PM
That's Sprint, not the ComCube or the phone. Same thing happens to me with either Axim or iPAQ. Also happens when hooked up to my notebook with either the 5350 or a Sanyo 4900.

Sometimes the phones will reestablish the connection with no problems, other times not. Just more Sprint reliability on display... :x

just got gomadic's comcube this morning, and i ordered it last night at about 5pm!

i have sprint pcs, and vision, but i'm having problems logging on using my lg5350. keeps dropping the call after 6 seconds.

will keep playing around with it...

TheBacklash
03-09-2003, 05:20 AM
ok just got my cables today....

Tried the #777 number that gomadic says to use for Verizon, no luck. It says connecting... and then tries to redial after timeout. :evil:

I have tried everything that Gomadic says to do, noluck. I think the #777 number is wrong for Verizon... They say that I may have to dialit manualy from my phone in order to connect... If I do I get James Earl Jones saying he's unable to complete my call... not a promising sign.

Also if I use the standard "qnc" setup, the phone does see the Dell make the call, the screen flashes to "calling" then after about 2 seconds it goes back to the main screen.
Tried everything and getting nowhere really...

Anyone else use verizon and get this to work? am I using the wrong number?

(using Verizon on a T720 Motorola phone with a Dell Axim.)

Janak Parekh
03-09-2003, 05:24 AM

Tried the #777 number that gomadic says to use for Verizon, no luck. It says connecting... and then tries to redial after timeout. :evil:
Are you trying to connect to Express Network, or the old Mobile Web setup? Express Network has a specific set of instructions (http://www.thesupplynet.com/drivers/Verizon%20115K%20Setup.pdf) -- you can't use the "qnc" password.

--janak

TheBacklash
03-09-2003, 05:44 AM

Are you trying to connect to Express Network, or the old Mobile Web setup? Express Network has a specific set of instructions (http://www.thesupplynet.com/drivers/Verizon%20115K%20Setup.pdf) -- you can't use the "qnc" password.

--janak

I tried that way as well...

The only difference is the disable call waiting, and the part about settign my phone to 115k, I don't see any setting to do this... Have to digout manual and read front to back.

It says connected now... at 14.4 only. and as *soon* as I check e-mail, the call ends.

Ok it's not when I check the e-mail.... Everytime I connect, 7-8 seconds in the call is ended. no matter what I do.

And there is nothing in the T720 manual about changing the baud rate. I can only get the Axim to find the phone on the default 19,200 rate. If I changet his It just times out, so the 720 isnot set to auto-detect... I can set the phone to take the next call as Data/Fax. No change.

QYV
03-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Backlash, you've also got a PM from me, but I'm stumped. I dial #777, and use qnc/qnc for username/password, and it works like a charm. I'm wondering if there's something odd with the Timeport that requires a different step somewhere (I'm using a StarTAC)? The only time I've ever seen what you're seeing is when I have almost no signal strength, like when I'm deep inside a building.

Might be time to check with Verizon customer support...although I suspect they'll tell you they only support their own VERY EXPENSIVE cable kit. :(

TheBacklash
03-10-2003, 03:16 AM
tried everything.... last resort is the phone call to Verizon support.

Then it's going back.

Ok, just got off the phone with Verizon tech support.
First thing first, we had to change the data transfer rate on my phone. He gave me a code to get in to some "hidden" features.... :twisted: It was only setup to use the express network only... and since I don't pay the $35 a month for that....i'm fine with the occasional *free* rate of 14.4k to grab my e-mail.

Still can't get on, but Verizon is now aware that the Cell towers in this area are screwed. we tried to take my phone without the Dell on the web, no luck.... stuck in send/connecting. no recieving mode at all. I could get on earlier today.

Still in limbo, but making progess. He's making some calls and will call me back.

TheBacklash
03-11-2003, 05:00 PM
verizon tech support kicks ass!
(at least the guy i got)

i'm posting this from the dell, through my phone, at work. (finally)

PetiteFlower
03-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Woot!

TheBacklash
03-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Works great now.
Now I know how to get into the hidden features menu to change the baud rate, before when the towers *were* working right out here... the call would disconnect me right after connection. T720 setup out the box ready for Express network only, the free 14.4 connection will never connect... without changing that.

The Verizon guy I talked too was very good, I forget his name but I did write it down and saved his name/direct phone number in my Voice mail 8)

I had *tried* to deal with the AT&T tech support on my Parents phones before.... that was ugly. (have to admit it was 1 1/2+years ago...things can change) and dealing with the old worthless UsWest Tech guys before the Verizon change... I put off called tech support for a long time... knowing I'd get a simple "it's not our cable, so thats the problem" kind of answer.

I'm just glad I got someone at least somewhat PocketPC competent. I said I had a Dell Axim X5,waiting for the We only support XX brand... He asked me right up front "how do you like the Dell?" :)

Now, off to set up my E-mail accounts for Cell phone access...

mscdex
03-15-2003, 01:40 AM
In theory, though if you abuse it too much Sprint will probably smack you. They DO monitor bandwidth. But yes you should be able to use your phone as a wireless net source to a laptop or PDA, without using your voice minutes up. Unlimited Wireless Web, free for first 3 months and $10 a month after that.

Where can I find the $10/month unlimited wireless web plan? Also, what is the worst thing they could do if they find you using much more bandwidth? What would be considered noticeable? I was thinking about occasionally browsing some webpages during the day and checking email. That's about it.

PetiteFlower
03-15-2003, 09:24 PM
It's from sprint, go to Radio Shack or check out www.sprintpcs.com

GM&Ofan
04-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Is there some trick to getting the Axim to dial #777? I just got my Gomadic cables in today that I won here, and, while I can connect to Earthlink perfectly (albeit slowly), I can't get it to work with the Verizon ISP. I've followed Gomadic's setup instructions exactly, and the phone doesn't respond to the PDA when it tries to dial #777. I have a Motorola T720. It gives no indication that a connection is being made, and after a while the Axim says that no modem can be found. I've done some searching on the net for info, and have tried some suggestions made by others, such as forcing the phone to a 14.4 connection, and nothing works. Is there something I'm missing that's obvious, to get the Axim to dial #777 on the phone?

Of course, it's possible that the problem lies elsewhere, since if I dial #777 manually, I get a message saying "NS32: We cannot complete your call as dialed." And the Verizon guy I talked to earlier today to re-enable Mobile Web on my phone said it should work anywhere I have digital service. Who knows.

Bart

mscdex
04-11-2003, 09:49 PM
It'd be nice if Sprint had plans that have JUST those PCS features (without the voice minutes, etc.). That way you would only have to pay $10 a month for wireless web. :)

Underwater Mike
04-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Bart,

Dunno about Verizon specifics, but to get your PPC to dial "#777" just make a new dial-up (ISP) connection with the same area code as your mobile number and enter "#777" as the number. Also, I created a new dialing location that I titled "SPCS Vision." I set the area code to my regular area code, and under "Dialing Patterns" I put "G" (i.e., dial only the number, not the area code). Then, choose that as your dialing location, dial the ISP number and there you go.

I don't think you actually need to create a separate location as I did, but I figured it couldn't hurt...

PetiteFlower
04-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Sprint DOES have data-only plans, but you have to buy the data card from them(instead of a phone) and it costs $99/month for unlimited data.

GM&Ofan
04-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Is there some trick to getting the Axim to dial #777? I just got my Gomadic cables in today that I won here, and, while I can connect to Earthlink perfectly (albeit slowly), I can't get it to work with the Verizon ISP. I've followed Gomadic's setup instructions exactly, and the phone doesn't respond to the PDA when it tries to dial #777. I have a Motorola T720. It gives no indication that a connection is being made, and after a while the Axim says that no modem can be found. I've done some searching on the net for info, and have tried some suggestions made by others, such as forcing the phone to a 14.4 connection, and nothing works. Is there something I'm missing that's obvious, to get the Axim to dial #777 on the phone?

At the same time I posted this message, I sent one to Gomadic as well. Within half an hour of sending it to them, I got a call from Don at Gomadic. We went through the setup again, and created another new connection for Verizon. This time it worked like a charm. I had set up two modems for the ComCube connection as part of the setup instructions on their web site, switching between them using the location tab, and that of course didn't work. But hey, I've never used this part of my PDA before. :-)

Though they didn't have to help me, as the cable clearly works (since I could connect to Earthlink already), they went above and beyond the call of duty to assist me. This is all the more impressive since I'm not a paying customer, having won the cables from this site.

If any of you are considering buying the Gomadic cables, here's my $0.02: I can now connect my laptop and PDA to the Internet using my cell phone, the cables work perfectly and are well-made, and the support is second to none.

TheBacklash
04-12-2003, 12:54 AM

Of course, it's possible that the problem lies elsewhere, since if I dial #777 manually, I get a message saying "NS32: We cannot complete your call as dialed." And the Verizon guy I talked to earlier today to re-enable Mobile Web on my phone said it should work anywhere I have digital service. Who knows.

Bart

If it can't find the phone when you dial #777, but can use it with the other connection.... First thing I'd check is to see what Com port the #777 connection is trying to use.... should be Com1.

mscdex
04-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Sprint DOES have data-only plans, but you have to buy the data card from them(instead of a phone) and it costs $99/month for unlimited data.

I know they have data-only plans, but that is different than the PCS vision for phones. PCS Vision lets you have certain (limited) access to web content. That's what I wish they'd charge only $10/month for. :wink:

ntractv
04-16-2003, 05:13 PM
First thing first, we had to change the data transfer rate on my phone. He gave me a code to get in to some "hidden" features.... :twisted: It was only setup to use the express network only... and since I don't pay the $35 a month for that....i'm fine with the occasional *free* rate of 14.4k to grab my e-mail.

Still in limbo, but making progess. He's making some calls and will call me back.

I have the T720 with Verizon as well. Is the code for the data transfer rate change the same or do you know?

davea
05-01-2003, 10:25 PM
I have exactly the same problem with my Motorola P280, Gomadic cables
to my Dell Axim and T-MOBILE"S GSM/GPRS system. I cannot get it
to dial GPRS or my local internet provicer. It says "No modem is detected" (when using T-Mobile's client on my Dell Axim PPC

Anyone gotten this setup to work with T_MOBILE's system??? P.S my cell phone works in both modes with my Notebook computer!!

UPDATE ON JUNE 3rd. The GOMADIC Cables work Great when you use
the GOMADIC Instructions to connect to T-Mobiles system. Ditch the
T-Mobile PCC Software is my advise!!

Thanks,

Bart

SlimDady
05-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Im looking into this myself.

I am sonn going to purchasing the Samsung SPH A520 from my mobility provider
you can check the plans and such and here
http://www.telusmobility.com/ab/pcs/handset_samsung_sph_a520.shtml#

They have an option for an aditional 5$ a month charge to use their mobility net service on the laptops or pocket pcs..

Im curious how this will all work. If I purchas this cable, I can access it for free? Do i need and isp too ?

and if I pay the extra 5$ what would I get out of it over using it for free?

Thanks for any help you can povide.. I am willing to change the phone im going to purchas if you guys can suggest a better option

trachy
05-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Wireless Internet Cable

Nothing I like better than washing down an oxymoron with my coffee this early in the morning. Too hilarious...

M@
05-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Wireless Internet Cable

Nothing I like better than washing down an oxymoron with my coffee this early in the morning. Too hilarious...

Not nearly as good as the classic

Microsoft Works