View Full Version : What gadget to buy??

Mike Temporale
03-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Here's my problem. I'm working on site at my clients (where I will be stationed for at least another year and a half). They have supplied me with a desktop that has LIMITED internet access. I can't visit half the sites I normally check, and I can't get to ANY web mail site.

I have my own laptop that I carry around with me and that doesn't plug into their network. My laptop is a ThinkPad T30 with built in BlueTooth and WiFi.

What I'm looking at doing is getting internet / email access without using their network. Here's the choices I can think of:

1) Built an external WiFi antenna and try to connect it to the internal WiFi Card. Then hope I can find a unsecured signal (I'm on the 7th floor, and we're surronded by other taller buildings)

2) Get a GPRS PCMCIA card. (That's a pretty expensive option. The cards run $450-$600 CDN)

3) Buy a BlackBerry (they start at $200 CDN)

4) figure out some way to use my iPaq (or get a newer Ipaq) that will allow me to connect.

5) There has to be a bluetooth solution, but I don't know it. My cell is not BlueTooth, but is WAP/GPRS enabled.

6) ?????

What do you guys suggest? What would you buy?

ux4484
03-01-2003, 05:29 PM
For a wifi antenna, go for a Cantenna (http://www.cantenna.com/) some folks claim to recieve from a distance up to several city blocks.

Check with local wireless providers. In Chicago, Verizon offers a CDMA PCMIA card with unlimited access(128K) for $100 a month. Kind of steep, I know, but there's no contract at that price, so when your done, cancel the service and return the card.
Biggest downside is that if you break the card, you have to pay for it (unless you buy it upfront)

Mike Temporale
03-02-2003, 03:12 AM
The wireless providers around here offer $50 unlimited, but you have to buy the card up front. (or supply your own.) From what I've found on HandheldCanada.com and from the wireless providers, the cards start at $450 CDN. That works out to about $1000 total, for a year of connectivity.

Actually, for $450 CDN I can get a Sony Ericson T68i. Would it be worth it to try and use my PocketPC or Cell? Maybe use a CF GPRS adapter? Or is it even worth it? Maybe I should just get a XDA?

Steven Cedrone
03-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Why not just use a modem and dial into an ISP???

Steve

Mike Temporale
03-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Why not just use a modem and dial into an ISP???

Steve

Digital phone lines. This is the case with most large companies. If you plug in a digital phone line into a regular modem, you will get one of 2 things happen, A) no dialtone, or B) fry your modem. :( Either way, it's not going to help me out. :cry:

Of course, the deparments fax machine is on a analog line. I wonder if anyone would notice if I ran a extension over to the fax? :lol:

Mike Temporale
03-03-2003, 03:25 PM
For a wifi antenna, go for a Cantenna (http://www.cantenna.com/) some folks claim to recieve from a distance up to several city blocks.

Looks like my WiFi option has been crushed. I finally figured out what type of connector my built-in WifI card has (u.fl) and I have also found out that it's extremely hard to find connectors for this type. :(

Janak Parekh
03-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Digital phone lines. This is the case with most large companies. If you plug in a digital phone line into a regular modem, you will get one of 2 things happen, A) no dialtone, or B) fry your modem. :( Either way, it's not going to help me out. :cry:
There are digital-to-analog phoneline adapters -- perhaps something like this (http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=8399&pf%5Fid=MP430107&listing=1) might work.

--janak

Mike Temporale
03-03-2003, 07:12 PM
There are digital-to-analog phoneline adapters -- perhaps something like this (http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=8399&pf%5Fid=MP430107&listing=1) might work.

--janak

Interesting.... I've never seen those before. I'll run over to radio shack and see if they got one.

I have just learned of a company called SpotNik that is launching WiFi in about 40 different locations today. If you're downtown Toronto, check out the display in the First Canadian centre. If you talk to them, they'll give you a free 60 minute pass. They've set it up so that it's 60 minutes of use, not 60 minutes straight.

There is also a HP rep at the booth showing off a Tablet and a couple laptops. I gave him hell for not getting the 1910's up here sooner, and he told me that they were originaly meant as a US only device, and that they had to fight to get them. He also mentioned that there are plans for future plans for the 1910. However he wouldn't comment on what they are. :(

Anyway, it looks like I can use the paid WiFi service in the food court under the building next door. Not really an ideal solution.