View Full Version : Which PDA

JasonLJames
03-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade my Palm M505 for a PDA that will run windows apps, i.e. something that runs Microsoft Pocket PC.

I don't really have a budget but Bluetooth and wireless LAN access would be useful. As would the option for a Sat Nav kit, memory cards (preferrably CF but not too important) good res. colour screen and a resonable battery life. Not too bothered about MP3, images, etc. Connection to MS Outlook also a requirement.

The main reason is the development of a corporate app that can be used off site and then connected to a central ERP system when back in the office and also email via Bluetooth connection on mobile phone.

If you could choose any, which would it be, and maybe even why?

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions.

Kind regards,

Jason James.

MultiMatt
03-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Jason,
You will likely hear from a variety of people, and get a variety of options in answer to your questions! Here's mine:
If budget is a concern, you might do best to get a Dell Axim. My reasoning is this - if you wanted Bluetooth integrated in your device, you will instantly shoot up to the higher priced devices.
By going with the Dell, you could get a really decent device for much less, and then, "piece-meal" the other components. You could search for a good price on a Wireless LAN card, and, when your budget would allow, you could get a Bluetooth card as well.
For all of the other things you are looking to do, the Axim would do it for you, I am sure.

...and I am not biased toward the Axim - I've largely been an iPAQ owner, myself! I just think the Axim sounds like a good fit for your needs.

Matt

WyattEarp
03-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Built-in Wifi could be a good choice: Toshiba e740 or iPAQ H5455

With recent price drops the Toshiba costs the same as a PPC and a good CF wifi card together.

ux4484
03-01-2003, 05:22 PM
By going with the Dell, you could get a really decent device for much less, and then, "piece-meal" the other components. You could search for a good price on a Wireless LAN card, and, when your budget would allow, you could get a Bluetooth card as well.
For all of the other things you are looking to do, the Axim would do it for you, I am sure.

Not to mention you can get the big honkin' 3400maH battery to run those accessories for a good stretch.

Kati Compton
03-01-2003, 06:40 PM
I am looking to upgrade my Palm M505 for a PDA that will run windows apps, i.e. something that runs Microsoft Pocket PC.

You probably know this already, but just in case... You can't run regular Windows applications (98/ME/2000/XP/etc) on PocketPCs.

JasonLJames
03-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Is the latest and greatest from HP the H5450 or the H5455? If both of these two devices exist, what are the technical differences and are they both available in the UK?

Thanks again and for all your inputs so far.

Regards,

Jason.

Janak Parekh
03-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Is the latest and greatest from HP the H5450 or the H5455? If both of these two devices exist, what are the technical differences and are they both available in the UK?
They are the same unit. The 5450 and 5455 are basically different SKUs for business vs. consumer. There might be a slight difference in packaging, but the hardware itself is identical.

--janak