View Full Version : Keeping An Eye On Things, By Cellphone

Janak Parekh
03-01-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/27/technology/circuits/27stat.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/27/t...its/27stat.html</a><br /><br /></div>"The telephone world is, at the moment, still in its audio-only phase. Video hasn't gained much traction, partly because video still requires too much data for relatively tiny "pipes" of the phone system to carry, and partly because most people don't care to be caught on camera still dripping wet from the shower. But a consortium composed of Logitech, Verizon Wireless, Qualcomm and gPix has just stumbled onto a novel idea. Maybe the "killer app" for video on phones isn't seeing the person you're calling. Instead, the exciting development may be the ability to use your cellphone's color screen to view remote scenes, both of public places and of your own private ones. What was once a piece of communications gear thus becomes a tool for security, safety and even spying."<br /><br />I'm not sure if I like this idea. It's certainly interesting, and any application that compels more wireless data technology is worth a look, but the implementation is a little early and the voyeuristic aspect is a bit worrying. On the other hand, ability to access tools like traffic webcams is very cool and potentially useful -- but not on a 160x120 display.

Pony99CA
03-01-2003, 10:09 AM
"The telephone world is, at the moment, still in its audio-only phase. Video hasn't gained much traction, partly because video still requires too much data for relatively tiny "pipes" of the phone system to carry, and partly because most people don't care to be caught on camera still dripping wet from the shower. But a consortium composed of Logitech, Verizon Wireless, Qualcomm and gPix has just stumbled onto a novel idea. Maybe the "killer app" for video on phones isn't seeing the person you're calling. Instead, the exciting development may be the ability to use your cellphone's color screen to view remote scenes, both of public places and of your own private ones. What was once a piece of communications gear thus becomes a tool for security, safety and even spying."

I'm not sure if I like this idea. It's certainly interesting, and any application that compels more wireless data technology is worth a look, but the implementation is a little early and the voyeuristic aspect is a bit worrying. On the other hand, ability to access tools like traffic webcams is very cool and potentially useful -- but not on a 160x120 display.
I don't see much difference between this and using your Pocket PC (or PC, for that matter) to view Web cams. There are already daycare centers and kennels that I've heard of that allow you to browse and see your child or pet.

A cell phone seems to be just a different viewing device, so why is it a problem?

Steve

Joff
03-01-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes, I agree the screen size is a very limiting factor.

What I am hopping for is the emergance of PPCs (or even high end phones!) with integrated video outputs and the ability to use 'wearabale displays' like the monocular or binocular ones. It would be great tool to browse the net, to play video and games but also to view documents in a confortable manner (text reflow doesn't work for most documents!).

This is the ultimate geek's piece of gear. But I am convinced that it could be very descrete if integrated in 'normal' glasses. Would it also be more battery friendly as well? And we might need OS support for multiple screen resolutions perhaps? I have heard rumors that the upcoming WinCE 4.0 provides this support. And what about the Toshiba e740? I've heard there is an add-on with video output. Have any of you tried it with wearable display? Any solutions guys?

Sorry Janak, I went a bit off-topic. It's my geek blood temparature that starts to rise :wink: