View Full Version : Dell Axim X5 incompatible with Billionton Bluetooth CF

Francis
02-28-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Today I just bought a brand spanking new "Billionton Compact Flash Bluetooth Adapter" for $50USD but it doesn't work on my Axim!!!!

The driver for the bluetooth card installed without a hitch (except it couldn't be installed into built-in storage which was annoying). BUt when I put the card in, the blinking light would never blink more than once.

I tested the card on my laptop and my old iPaq and the card was recognized and the green indicator light blinked continously to show it was working properly.

Has anyone experienced this? Guess the card is just not compatible with the Axim!

Janak Parekh
02-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Did you contact their support? It's possible they need to update their driver (or that they already did...)

--janak

Francis
02-28-2003, 11:26 PM
I already contacted them. They said there is a dell specific driver and they gave me the link, but after installing it there's no difference. As I said before, without any driver installed it should have still had a blinking light to indicate the bluetooth card had power. Anyway, its status quo after installing the new driver.

Vincent M Ferrari
02-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Slightly off-topic, but along the same lines:

Why is it that the Dell PPC's seem to have so many issues with drivers and software? It seems like everyday someone posts something about a piece of hardware not working. Is it just that the hardware is that much different than all the other handhelds?

It's one of the things keeping me away from the Axim... I'm kinda nervous about hardware not being supported...

TheBacklash
03-01-2003, 01:07 AM
I think that for the most part you hear *new users* to the PPC arena having Problems with the Dell.

The only problems I have heard that is dell specific are the Card above, and certain older programs not working with the graphics chipset in the dell. and of course the Memory issue since Dell has dual slots, AND built in memory, which certain programs address the memory wrong... including MS software... annoying. Not Dell, but an OS issue that was never thought out. And I can see some day MSputting out a patch for PPC2002 to change programs like Inbox to read and use memory correctly on devices with Built-in and dual slots available for memory..

Alot of the problems that People assosiate with Dell, I had on my iPaq, and can re-create them easily...

As for drivers, alot of them are being released to work with the dell. Third party support is growing, but remember this is Dell's first jump into the PPC arena. The third party companies are taking their time in getting their products "Dell ready"

Out of the box the Pockettop keyboard don't work with the Axim, on their website they have the updated driver. and can use it without the keyboard to put your Aximin LS or flipped view.

But beyond that, there is bound to be "issues" with the first axim line. And with Dell getting such a large chunk so fast... It may take longer for all the bugs to be cought and worked out.

I wouldn't let the few issue's hold you back from buying one.

TheBacklash
03-01-2003, 01:12 AM
The driver for the bluetooth card installed without a hitch (except it couldn't be installed into built-in storage which was annoying). BUt when I put the card in, the blinking light would never blink more than once.

The first thing that comes to mind after re-reading this... the Dell has a Dual slot configuration, along with Built-in memory. Inbox Word, and others that are PPC 2002 built-in programs, have a problem with addressing all three.
Example: you can't save your inbox attachments to the SD card, sure you can *tell* Inbox to do so, but it stores it to the Built in memory instead. you have to edit a few Reg entries to make it work.

Maybe this is yet another memory issue, the card can't find the program...
If thats the case, it's not Dell, it's PPC2002 itself.

gdaswani
04-10-2003, 09:19 AM
fix below.

gdaswani
04-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Here's a FIX for those Bluetooth users using the WIDCOMM Stack (Billionton, Bluetake, Brainboxes, CC&C BT CF Cards).

Download

this driver if you have the CFBTCE-B. (http://www.billionton.com/extra/CFBTCE-B.zip)

this driver if you have the CFBTCE-N. (http://www.billionton.com/extra/CFBTCE-N.zip)

Steps in installation..

1) Plug in Bluetooth Card

2) Install the Driver (run setup.exe) - make sure it's installed on RAM.

3) Download a REGISTRY EDITOR for PPC

4) Set

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\SerialTransport\Port

make sure it's "7"

5) Soft Reset your PPC and enjoy :)

Also works on the A02 DELL's - your DELL should be able to find the Bluetooth card now.

rrypma
04-18-2003, 04:23 AM
Hi, How did you learn of this fix? Is this a Dell-specific update? I don't see it posted on Billionton's site. Yes, I originally had problems installing the card, but after 2 tries, I got it to work. I recently purchased a BT GPS, and it frequently disconnects. I don't really know what to blame it on, as there are the mapping software, the GPS, and the BT CF card. Thanks!

gdaswani
04-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Hi, How did you learn of this fix? Is this a Dell-specific update? I don't see it posted on Billionton's site. Yes, I originally had problems installing the card, but after 2 tries, I got it to work. I recently purchased a BT GPS, and it frequently disconnects. I don't really know what to blame it on, as there are the mapping software, the GPS, and the BT CF card. Thanks!

I installed the card on another PPC and did a registry diff on the WIDCOMM key.. it only seems to do it on the Dell..

The rest was simple..

As for the BT GPS, is it the socket bt gps? Did you install the latest drivers I referenced above?

There are two different drivers, you have to pick the right one for your cards P/N

check out http://www.billionton.com/extra/download.htm

As for installing it, make sure it's fully uninstalled from your PPC and Windows - then plug the card in, leave your PDA synched up then run the setup.exe

What software are you using for GPS? I'm able to use the Socket BT GPS (Pair code = 0183) just fine with Mapopolis (you have to explictly tell it to what com port to use, don't let it autodetect).

rrypma
04-18-2003, 05:13 AM
Hi, I'm using the Socket BT GPS and use the default com 5. I have been using this thing for only a couple weeks now, and I get frequent disconnects for no apparent reason. Most of the time it works, but it only takes one disconnect to spoil all the fun. I have been using the BT drivers on the Billionton-provided CD, and I wasn't aware of the update. So, I'll try that in addition to the new ROM for the Axim. So, why is it that you hack the reg to move the BT serial from 5 to 7? What baud rate do you use? Do you use trickle mode?

gdaswani
04-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Hi, I'm using the Socket BT GPS and use the default com 5. I have been using this thing for only a couple weeks now, and I get frequent disconnects for no apparent reason. Most of the time it works, but it only takes one disconnect to spoil all the fun. I have been using the BT drivers on the Billionton-provided CD, and I wasn't aware of the update. So, I'll try that in addition to the new ROM for the Axim. So, why is it that you hack the reg to move the BT serial from 5 to 7? What baud rate do you use? Do you use trickle mode?

Hmm, the 7 is because the CF Bluetooth is a UART device (needs to have it's own port) - the installer incorrectly installs it on 5 and you end up with the bt manager not being able to find the uart. As for trickle mode, the BT GPS was just bone stock, nothing done to it..

4800 Baud..

rrypma
04-18-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm still confused why port 7 is required here. I haven't come accross this anywhere else, and port 5 is not required by any other device, so it has its own port. As I said, the BT card connects just fine the Socket GPS. It's just that it will disconnect sometimes after about 5-10 minutes after starting. This requires me to 'soft reset' the device, which is a pain on the road. I'm not disputing your claim, I just can't see a basis for it. Perhaps there IS something else infringing upon this port. Like I said, I'll do as you recommend and see if there is an improvement.

dhettel
04-20-2003, 05:59 PM
I think the key here is two things. First the software needs to be installed by the Software setup program, and not by ActiveSync. Most of the people having problems have installed it from ActiveSync, either as in they have more than one PPC, or they are reinstalling it. The other problem is some have tried to install it to SD memory, or to rom. Both of which will not work.

Nothings wrong with Com5, it works ok on my Axim.

David

rrypma
04-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Not sure if I understand. I thought the setup app was for the PC, unless you're suggesting it just extracts on the PPC itself? BTW, the original on the CD works fine for me by using the setup program while connected via ActiveSync. How else is the PPC connected to the PC?

dhettel
04-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Once a program has been installed on a PPC, it is all so possible to reinstall some/most programs by clicking on | Tools | Add/Remove Programs...| and finding the program name on the pop up window. In Activesync on the PC. What I'm saying is for me it is necessary to reinstall the program from the downloaded file or the CD.

Just using Activesync to reinstall it or to install it on more than one PPC does not work.

David

gdaswani
04-21-2003, 08:13 AM
I'm still confused why port 7 is required here. I haven't come accross this anywhere else, and port 5 is not required by any other device, so it has its own port. As I said, the BT card connects just fine the Socket GPS. It's just that it will disconnect sometimes after about 5-10 minutes after starting. This requires me to 'soft reset' the device, which is a pain on the road. I'm not disputing your claim, I just can't see a basis for it. Perhaps there IS something else infringing upon this port. Like I said, I'll do as you recommend and see if there is an improvement.

Most CF cards that are in CF FORM factor are accessed through a UART (so basically like a COM-PORT device).

The Bluetooth Manager talks to the CF card and sends command through that command COM PORT. (For example, when the BT manager tells the CF card to do a DISCOVER, it sends some device commands to COM 7)..

What you are talking about is the CLIENT OUTGOING COM PORT which is not the same as what I'm taking about.

When the WIDCOMM driver installs on the AXIM, the installer mistakingly sets the cf device command com-port to 5 instead of 7. Hence the BT manager isn't able to detect the presence of the BT card and can't send commands to it.. Hope that clears it up..

rrypma
04-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the explanation. But, I still contend that the default out com 5 and incoming 2 have worked for many including myself. So, perhaps for those who cannot use this port have pre-existing software that conflicts? FWIW, I installed the new ROM and now, after installing the update on Billionton's site (the 'B'), I get an insufficient memory error installing from the setup program. Oh well, I'll try again and reload tonight. :cry:

gdaswani
04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the explanation. But, I still contend that the default out com 5 and incoming 2 have worked for many including myself. So, perhaps for those who cannot use this port have pre-existing software that conflicts? FWIW, I installed the new ROM and now, after installing the update on Billionton's site (the 'B'), I get an insufficient memory error installing from the setup program. Oh well, I'll try again and reload tonight. :cry:

Hmmm, weird, on the new rom A02, the setup program ran just fine..

The only thing that I had to do on my DELL AXIM (clean after a hard reset) was to set the COMMAND COM port to 7 as the installer was looking for the CF card in COM 5..

As for the DEFAULT COM5 and COM2 for outgoing and incoming COM ports, works for me also..

rrypma
04-22-2003, 03:39 AM
Hey, what do you you know. It works changing the port from 5 to 7! I don't know why I didn't have to do this the last time though. Strange...

foldedspace
04-24-2003, 08:16 PM
?

What BT phones are you using?

rrypma
04-24-2003, 10:08 PM
I use a Siemens s55.