View Full Version : withMP3

bobkatt
02-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Have you tried withMP3.
I would like your honest opinion on what you think of this music software.
Good, bad or generally OK.
withmp3 free download (http://www.han-d-solutions.com/withmp3.htm)

Thanks

luebster
02-28-2003, 03:09 PM
I would wait until version 2 comes out with OGG support.

bobkatt
02-28-2003, 03:51 PM
I am interested in the opinion of the current version.
Not interested on if the future version is worth waiting for or not.
At the end of the day, you could say "wait for the next release" with any program. :lol:
Don't know what OGG is and probably will not use it anyways since all my files are standard mp3 files only.

Thanks anyways.

robclif4d
02-28-2003, 04:27 PM
It's all I use for MP3 playback and have been using it for months.

Robert

JoeMoon
02-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Have you tried withMP3.
I would like your honest opinion on what you think of this music software.
I tried a few different players, and found withMP3 to be the best at pulling the MP3 file across a wireless network and playing it without skipping/jitters. It is also very quick at reading in directories and has a pretty easy to use playlist feature.

Of all the ones I loaded and unloaded, this one got my money!

Joe...

bobkatt
02-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the opinions.

Janak Parekh
02-28-2003, 04:49 PM
Bob,

You should also consider WinamPAQ (http://www.projecteam.org/phpwiki/index.php/WinamPAQ%20-%20PDS) and PocketMVP (www.pocketmvp.com) -- these are free and pretty good.

--janak

don dre
02-28-2003, 05:04 PM
I have been very happy with it as well, I also use it to listen over a wireless network. I love their english too. "Are you start?"
Always gives me a smile.

bobkatt
02-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Curious:

Just thinking, would it be possible to have a central repository of MP3 files that are available for listening only and no file saving on the actual PocketPC using withMP3? Be interesting to have like a Jukebox type of file server on a wireless network.
Maybe if the files where set on the server for read only?

Bob

don dre
03-04-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure I get your meaning. you mean, no mp3's on your ppc? just access them off your desktop all the time? i use withMP3 in conjunction with Pocket LAN. I save playlists locally even though the music is actually on the desktop.

bobkatt
03-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Yes exactly as you mention but really as a feature for people on a network to access. Therefore the users can listen but not make a copy of the file to take with them. Read only.

I guess this would be more of a networking setting then anything withmp3 or mp3 files specific.

What I was getting at is the possibility of having a KIOSK type setup where people can get access to the music in any quantity or order to listen. Specially when you have a PocketPC or laptop with a wireless connection. This will satisfy royalty issues if the manufacturer of the KIOSK is paying for the rights to store and play the music.

Then the end user could pay a monthly fee to get access to the music that is commercial free at a monthly fee. Similar to digital radio except you chose your own selections and order of play from the selections available on the network. The mp3's would be created in the highest possible quality instead of downloading whatever is available online.

Just curious on if mp3 file distribution will go this route eventually or some other form of digital music transfer with an end user cost will appear that allows full user flexibility on what's played and when.

bobkatt

JoeMoon
03-04-2003, 11:24 PM
While on the topic - Does anyone know of a program that will convert MP3s and WAVs to MOD?

Joe...

Janak Parekh
03-05-2003, 03:39 AM
While on the topic - Does anyone know of a program that will convert MP3s and WAVs to MOD?
I don't think MODs are very well-suited to general sounds. MODs have the notion of a collection of "instruments", each that have a short unique sequence. As such it's very good for things like electronic beats, but not so good for long melodies or voice.

There might be tools to assist converting specific work, though; I'd do a Google search, since the MOD community is very old.

--janak

bobkatt
03-05-2003, 03:50 AM
I don't think MODs are very well-suited to general sounds. MODs have the notion of a collection of "instruments"

I agree with Janak.
What MOD files are, MIDI files Combined with wave files that represent the individual instruments referenced within the MIDI file to create a realistic sounding playback of MIDI files.

If you played back a standard MIDI file in a MIDI file player, it sounds very mechanical and synthetic. MOD files makes the MIDI files sound more like real instruments using sampled instrument sounds. This is what a sampler keyboard does.

This being said, it is very difficult to reproduce a human voice as a wave sample to be referenced as one instrument to be used by a MIDI file to represent the spoken word.

If you told us what this MP3 file or wave file was then maybe we could suggest an alternative to creating this MOD file. If you really need a MOD file then tell us what you plan to do with this MOD file. . .
This might allow us to come uo with some options.

bobkatt

don dre
03-05-2003, 09:05 PM
bobkatt
i'd def say that is a networking issue. If it is done on the network side then proprietary software wouldn't be as necessary. As always, smart individuals, perhaps on this site (no!!) would come up with ways to break in. At any rate, I'm sure you could write a security program to enforce the "read only" policy if there's money to be made. My desktop essentially is my music server that my ppc and my roommate's laptop use. Maybe I'll start chargin him a monthly fee...can recoup some of the food costs he's been incurring on my dime. :twisted:

bobkatt
03-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Go for it I would. :-)

Pay for food or pay for entertainment.
Regardless, pay for something. . . LOL