View Full Version : How do I download programs with zip files?

rgalexander
02-28-2003, 02:23 AM
I have tried several different zip file programs and have never been able to use programs that I have downloaded with zip files. I have several great programs that I can't use, and it is killing me. What is the best way to download programs with zip files so that I may use them on my pocket pc. Please help.

dean_shan
02-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Are you looking for a ZIP program for Pocket PC?

rgalexander
02-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Yes I am. I have tried Handy Zip and had great difficulty in downloading the programs on my pocket pc. I am a newbie and need the steps that are needed to download programswith zip files from the internet into my pocket pc.

Brad Adrian
02-28-2003, 03:29 AM
Unfortunately, it is still painful to try to download and install directly to a Pocket PC. Is there a reason you can't or don't want to download to a PC and install from there? Most apps are still created to be installed that way.

Pony99CA
02-28-2003, 06:22 AM
Yes I am. I have tried Handy Zip and had great difficulty in downloading the programs on my pocket pc. I am a newbie and need the steps that are needed to download programswith zip files from the internet into my pocket pc.
What is the "difficulty" you're having? As you're a newbie, I'll ask the obvious question -- are you sure the programs in these ZIP files are meant for the Pocket PC? Programs that run on your PC will not run on your Pocket PC.

Even if they are Pocket PC programs, some of the ZIP files only have installation programs in them that run on your PC, and you can't install directly from the Pocket PC.

Steve

rgalexander
02-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Here is the situation. I download programs into my pocketpc folder on my pc. I sync them into my pocket pc and I then try to run them with Handyzip or another zip compression program. Nothing hapens. I have so many cool games and apps that I haven't been able to use. It is rather frustrating. I now download programs that are not in the zip format and have no problems. But I don't want to limit myself. I want to enjoy the full satisfaction of my pocket pc.

Pony99CA
02-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Here is the situation. I download programs into my pocketpc folder on my pc. I sync them into my pocket pc and I then try to run them with Handyzip or another zip compression program. Nothing hapens. I have so many cool games and apps that I haven't been able to use. It is rather frustrating. I now download programs that are not in the zip format and have no problems. But I don't want to limit myself. I want to enjoy the full satisfaction of my pocket pc.
Let's see if I have this right.

You download a ZIP file into your C:\My Documents\Pocket_PC My Documents folder (or whatever you call it).
You synchronize that ZIP file over to your Pocket PC.
You open that ZIP file on your Pocket PC.

There's something missing there. "Nothing happens" doesn't tell us what you're trying to do.

In any event, why would you synchronize the ZIP file over to your Pocket PC? Most likely, that ZIP file just contains the installer for the Pocket PC program which must be run on your host PC, not your Pocket PC.

That's assuming that the ZIP file even contains a Pocket PC program, not a regular PC program.

I think it would help if you give us an example of a program that you're having difficulty with (include the URL for the Web site you're downloading it from, too).

Steve

Steven Cedrone
02-28-2003, 03:36 PM
Download the zip to a different folder (c:\temp, etc.), unzip it on the PC - not the Pocket PC. The either move the files to your sync folder or do an install (depending on what it is you have downloaded)...

Steve

rgalexander
03-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks