View Full Version : To Ipaq 1910 or Not to Ipaq 1910 That is the Question...

FunHouse82
02-27-2003, 03:50 AM
Ok... I am trying to decide whether I should get a Dell Axim or an Hp Ipaq 1910.

First of all. I do have a budget. I am hoping to get something around 200-250 hundred dollars.

I things I will be using it for is writing nots (dosent like key boards), playing games, viewing photos, listening to music, save website (for later vieing), store powerpoint (and view), and to store addresses, and emails.

I have had a Hp Jornada before and I was pretty happy with it. Thought right now that isnt a consideration.

I have heard the Ipaq has a really good (and bright screen). That is definetly a good point. But a good point of Dell is that it takes CF and I already have CF for my digital camera.... (is that enough of a reason).

I also like the size of Ipaq, but like I said I was happy with my Jorndada. If I get the Axim it would be the cheaper one.

Please help.....

Sheynk
02-27-2003, 04:07 AM
um....ok

If size, egronomics, and design are important to you....go with the HP

On the other hand...although I personally dislike Dell's design it is by far more utilitarian than its competitor the 1910.

If you take pictures often and have a large collections of CF cards you'll be better off with the Dell

pocketpc67
02-27-2003, 04:23 AM
I've tried both 1910 and axim. Both accomplish what you plan to do perfectly. However the Axim has a much better battery life with a slightly not as perfect screen. While the 1910 has a better screen with very poor battery life

FunHouse82
02-27-2003, 04:28 AM
Well how poor would that be?? I don't want to have a WAY to bulky PDA. Well as far as battery goes, I will be in school, so we arn't aloud to play with them for fun, just for notes. And when I am home it will be hooked to a charger... SO??? I really am not good at making a cut between the two... is the batterly life horrible??? Is there any way the 1910 could be able to read CF??? thanks a lot

spursdude
02-27-2003, 05:14 AM
Well how poor would that be?? I don't want to have a WAY to bulky PDA. Well as far as battery goes, I will be in school, so we arn't aloud to play with them for fun, just for notes. And when I am home it will be hooked to a charger... SO??? I really am not good at making a cut between the two... is the batterly life horrible??? Is there any way the 1910 could be able to read CF??? thanks a lot

The Dell isn't bulky. I thought so too, but people who have the device will testify that it isn't too large. I have a PPC just barely smaller than the Axim, and it isn't too large at all.

For battery life, more is ALWAYS better. If you ever go on a road trip, or spend a few days away from home but don't wanna bring a charger, you will definitely appreciate a good battery. The Axim will probably run twice as long as the 1910 in the battery life arena.

I would definitely go with the Axim - unless you are in dire need of beauty and design, you will find that the Axim suits your needs better. And besides, the Axim isn't that bad-looking either. But the Axim will provide you with more power, expansion capability, and battery life.

Bloop
02-27-2003, 05:19 AM
battery life on the 1910 is not as bad as everyone says. I have a 1910 and i have no problems with the battery. The main thing you want to do to make it last long, is to keep the back light on the lowest setting. (their are extra batterys that you can buy for it) The battery life on the axim is nice, but it is still much larger than the 1910. Main thing you must relize, is the smaller the pda, the more likely your going to take it with you, which means the more use your going to get out of it. performance wise I havent seen any problems, I have everquest and sim city 2000 and they run perfectly with no problem. In fact both games are on my SD card. I do recomend that you get a SD card (which are droping in price) for extra storage, because your not able to use all 64 megs of ram on the 1910.

There are no sleves for the 1910 to allow it to hold a CF card. Thats the major benifit i see with the axim, the fact that it does have a CF slot.

it took me about a month to decide between the 2 pda's. In the end i chose the 1910 because of its size, and i am very happy with my choice.

vincentsiaw
02-27-2003, 06:53 AM
1910 is slim and sexy, but not as muscular and as powerfull as Axim x5,

both have their advantages, but for me, slim and sexy is the way to go :lol:

Cracknell
02-27-2003, 07:26 AM
A battery up-time log for h1910. Only two data sets tho'

http://www.mobigeeks.net/e/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=823#post823

I guess you can go up to 4:30 for mix use with lowering the clock and staying at 25% brightness.

hollis_f
02-27-2003, 08:14 AM
As peeps have said - either will do what you want. Except for one thing - if you want to not only view your PowerPoint presentations but to display them (on monitors/TVs/projectors) then I don't think the 1910 has anything that will do that. You'll need the CF slot of the Axim.

FunHouse82
02-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Well, through listening your comments it seems that the Ipaq has a major low down, battery life. Though someone noted that it being small, I would use it more often, which I ibelieve. The Dell is a bit bulky for me to take everywhere. Now, what are the "internal" low downs of the Dell?
Also do you think there might be a way I can buy the Ipaq 1910 from Bestbuy so that I could upgrade it in the future???
Thank you very much...

Reinaldo
02-28-2003, 04:19 AM
Well, I can talk to you about battery. Battery depends on the use of the handheld. But as mentioned, its also the thing that makes a PPC mobile. Without a good battery, you won't be able to take advantage of all of the good features that PPCs have. Anyone remenbers when you first bought a Pocket PC planning on using it JUST for word documents and then WHAM!? That was me and my 548.

Batteries are good. Now, I think the iPAQ 1910 has a decent battery charge. However, the Dell is the battery king of cheap PPCs. Kind of. :lol: Once again, depends on the use. Notes? Get any of them, the battery won't change.

Is there a shape or form factor that you have in special? :?:

As for PowerPoint, there's only ONE device that beats all in that field and that's the Toshiba e740. Trust me, you don't want to get a Toshiba as your first Pocket PC. I think that both would make a great Pocket PC for you but if you need expansion or plan on expanding a lot, then get a Dell. I somehow doubt that you will be expanding for a while because you are a rookie but some people go in with all or nothing so think carefully about it.

Boy is this happening more and more. I had the same problem with a friend of mine who is in the same situation as you are. 8O Creepy.